Do I look too thin now?

Options
Hi,

A lot of people in my family are telling me that I've taken things too far and that I need to stop losing weight. My mom is a doctor and even she has been telling me this, she's the one that wanted me to start losing weight in the first place. My sister says the same thing. I'm currently 167 pounds as a 6'0"(183cm) 30 y/o male.

The problem is I had my body fat measured by a DEXA machine at the beggining of October at 175 lbs and it registered 15%. So I made a goal for myself to get to 155 pounds and 10% body fat by the end of the year. My stomach still does not look flat (it looks kind of like a floppy/droopy pancake) and I feel like there are still significant fat deposits around my midsection. In fact, the dexa scan said I had 14 lbs of fat on my "trunk" alone, which I take to mean midsection. There was also 10 lbs of fat on my legs and 2 lbs on my arms.

I have been lifting weights during most of my weight loss, an 8-12 rep routine with barbells going as heavy as possible. I'm also trying to keep my protein intake over 100 grams per day to minimize muscle loss.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some honest opinions. I think I still need to cut down to 155, see what I look like, then probably work on adding 10-15 lbs of muscle mass next year. I truly do feel like that if I've come this far, why not put in the effort to burn off that last little bit and see what happens? But like I said, I'm meeting a lot of resistance from the people around me, and it is resulting in efforts by them to sabotage my diet to a degree (I can do a great job of that on my own, certainly don't need their help!)..

Do not open these links if you're offended by shirtless pasty people. In some ways I think I looked better shirtless when I was still 230+, and like I said, I know muscle building needs to be the priority next year, but I think the last bit of fat has to go first.

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae219/randomperson8008/ugly4.jpg
http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/ae219/randomperson8008/ugly5.jpg

Replies

• x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but that "floppy pancake" looks more like extra skin from the weightloss than fat. I am interested what others' opinions on MFP will be.

Congrats on your significant loss, though!!! Over 100lbs is awesome!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You don't look too thin to me, but you also don't look like you need to be dieting to lose any more overall weight. Your "fat" seems to be in a localised area in the front of your tummy (if it is fat; it might just be skin). Perhaps you should talk with a trainer to start focusing on toning your midsection.

With a good fitness programme of cardio along with weights in the gym, you should have good results burning up any remaining fat stores whilst building muscle; but you probably won't want a huge deficit to achieve a balanced look (just my opinion, but your arms and chest look great, and could look scrawny if you lost more weight). There are lots of lifters here who can help you with that, but a trainer can create a programme specific to your needs in person.

Hey, just my opinion. Well done on losing the weight. You look fine to me!
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would agree on the extra skin point. 123 lbs is a lot of weight to lose, and I think the reality is, it's going to be a slow road to get your body to transform to what you'd like it to be.

I would recommend spending some time not worrying so much about weight or BF%, but rather focus on fitness accomplishments. In addition to setting new goals for your lifting, maybe try some form of high-intensity cardio like sprinting or jumprope or something. Go all out until you've got nothing left, and then focus on improving your performance next time.

If you keep at it, the increased level of physical performance will ultimately show up in the mirror.

And for the record, you should already be proud of what you've accomplished. Losing 123 lbs is no small thing.
  • rosieknowsme
    Options
    That pancake you speak of is excess skin, the only way you can get rid of that is time (the skin will start to retreat) or surgery. In terms of fat, 15% is a perfectly acceptable amount of fat to have on your body, in fact it is below the norm. You do not look like you need to lose any more weight, I can see your ribs - if you can see your ribs you need to stop really! Get yourself some firming cream for the skin, or start saving for a tuck.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    ugly4.jpg
    ugly5.jpg
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I say start increasing your lifting now, a lot of people I see that lift weights, over time, can firm up the excess skin.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm sorta in the same boat. I've lost almost 100lbs and am around 15% body fat now. That pouch is basically some saggy skin filled with fat that is dragging it down. Annoying, isn't it? I'm starting my bulk once I lose 3 more pounds since I have come to the realization that I don't have enough lean body mass to look good once my body fat gets low. A few bulk/cut cycles and I expect to be closer to my desired appearance (and strength, which is one of my primary goals). I think you're in the same boat but a little worse off than me (I'm currently 199lbs at ~15% body fat, I think you probably are quite a bit smaller than me in general which seems to accentuate the problem).

If you decide to keep cutting instead I don't see a problem. 15% body fat is not low or unhealthy for a male. My ultimate goal is 10% and I'm guessing yours is probably in the same ballpark. Healthy body fat range for a male is approximately 8-20%. Point your loved ones to research that indicates this and maybe they'll get off your back. Chances are they just aren't used to seeing you this small and/or they are used to the average person being overweight so someone approaching lean seems unusual.

Long story short, do whichever you feel like, I think either is a valid option at this point. Just remember if you bulk up you're gonna have even more fat to lose to get lean. Cutting further right now to say, 10% means if you start a bulk after you'll be ahead of the game. Regardless, no one can make that decision for you.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

A lot of people in my family are telling me that I've taken things too far and that I need to stop losing weight. My mom is a doctor and even she has been telling me this, she's the one that wanted me to start losing weight in the first place. My sister says the same thing. I'm currently 167 pounds as a 6'0"(183cm) 30 y/o male.

Congrats on the weight loss! You look great. I agree with the other comments about the extra skin versus fat and maybe talking to a trainer about changing your focus.

A 6 foot 167 pound male is not too thin.

I've lost about 50 pounds. I need to lose another 10 pounds or so, but when people ask me about it and I mention I have a little more left to lose, they always argue that I should stop. It's better not to say anything.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    From what ive heard, fat, skinny, or inbetween, never wait to weight train. Weight training builds muscle muscle burns energy (calories) so doesnt that mean you are doing two things at once rather than doing one first then the other later? I dont know, but as dedicated as you are, it seems like your determination is so great that you would do GREAT lifting and resistance training sheeesh, what a go getter you are!!!!!
  • ehimass
    ehimass Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses and encouragement or criticism. Loose skin is exactly what my family calls it, although I'm pretty self conscious about it so I haven't shown them. I do think there is a significant amount of fat still in my abdobmen though. If I squeeze it feels more like warm play-doh than loose paper (most of the articles I've read say if you squeeze the skin and it's more than a few mm thick, there's fat there. I can still squeeze a solid 2-3 in roll of abdominal skin while standing, which isn't the case for chest, arms, or legs).

I have in fact considered the male tummy tuck surgery, but definitely wouldn't do that for another 12-18 months assuming I maintained something close to my ideal weight/bf% (which I envision as probably 180 lbs at 10%) and saw no improvements. Even then, the scars from the tummy tuck surgeries often look pretty bad, maybe even worse than the original problem in some cases. I don't scar well, another minus in the genetics department.

I'm glad to hear you're faring a little batter DopeItUp. I expect when I do begin to add muscle that I'll be lucky to get a 3:1 muscle:fat ratio in my weight gain, which is a big part of why I'm careful about how soon I end my calorie deficit and start doing that. The weight lifting routine I've been doing has just been preserving muscle (hopefully), I am only lifting about 10% more weight now than when I was at 220.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It honestly comes down to your build, preferences and health. My boyfriend it 6ft2~3 and weighs 145lb, but in his cultural and genetic background (Japanese) that's pretty acceptable for someone slim. That being said, your ribs are now visible and it does 'appear' to be loose skin.

I think lots of people need to come to a point where they reasses their goals. A wise phrase I remember is to not train or diet to be aesthetic, but for strength and health. I'm guessing your ideal is something of a lean sportsman? Do they train to look lean? No, they train for their fitness goals and sport, they couldn't give a rats *kitten* about the aesthetics but it comes with it. That's how I have trained with weights in the past, and focusing on increasing weight or reps, perfecting technique etc was a much better focus in the end (I lost weight when I wasn't really trying to as well)!

Anyway, I hope my ramble is somewhat helpful. Just reasses your goals is basically what I'm saying
  • ehimass
    ehimass Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It honestly comes down to your build, preferences and health. My boyfriend it 6ft2~3 and weighs 145lb, but in his cultural and genetic background (Japanese) that's pretty acceptable for someone slim. That being said, your ribs are now visible and it does 'appear' to be loose skin.

I think lots of people need to come to a point where they reasses their goals. A wise phrase I remember is to not train or diet to be aesthetic, but for strength and health. I'm guessing your ideal is something of a lean sportsman? Do they train to look lean? No, they train for their fitness goals and sport, they couldn't give a rats *kitten* about the aesthetics but it comes with it. That's how I have trained with weights in the past, and focusing on increasing weight or reps, perfecting technique etc was a much better focus in the end (I lost weight when I wasn't really trying to as well)!

Anyway, I hope my ramble is somewhat helpful. Just reasses your goals is basically what I'm saying

To me, ideal would be something along the lines of this (minus the offensive tatoo in the second one of course):

Ryan-Reynolds.jpgO95soR5.png

I know it will never happen because of my age and the damage I've done to my body, but I'd like to get a lot closer to that than what I am now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i agree with it being mainly lose skin - it can take up to a year for skin to regain its elasticity, so i would try not to worry too much about it, it will get better.

When was the last time you had a break from eating at a deficit? You say your strength hasnt really increased a great deal, so why not eat at maintenance for a while and concentrate on your lifting/fitness?
  • anetgirl
    anetgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband lost over 100 lbs about two years ago and still struggles with that floppy skin. Recently, he started taking Omega-3s and says he can tell a difference in his skin. Make sure you chose a quality fish oil though, I recommend AdvoCare's OmegaPlex.
  • rb16fitness
    rb16fitness Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You look great as you are, you've lost a huge amount of weight and have a little bit of loose skin. Over time it may naturally skrink back once you start lifting weights. I agree with your family you certainly don't need to lose any more weight. Congrats on your phenomenal weight loss :drinker:

P.S - you're not ugly don't refer to yourself as such.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Nice. Perfect, really. What was the question again? *fans self*

Oh yeah.. don't lose any more - you've lost all the fat now bulk up to 180-190 ish. Then post pics.

Lots of pics. Just so we can, errr, you know - check on your progress. :wink:
  • kellybellyjellyn
    Options
    You look great !!! I would be also with those who say you don't need to lose anymore weight !! You don't look too thin either !!

Goodluck on the bulking up and well done on your loss !!! Amazing !!
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    "ugly4" and "ugly5"?

First suggestion I have is stop calling yourself "ugly"!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    i agree with it being mainly lose skin - it can take up to a year for skin to regain its elasticity, so i would try not to worry too much about it, it will get better.

When was the last time you had a break from eating at a deficit? You say your strength hasnt really increased a great deal, so why not eat at maintenance for a while and concentrate on your lifting/fitness?

I'd agree with this take a diet break and eat at maintenace for a while, it will do you and your body good to have a short break, maybe a month or so. Plus the strenght gains you will see will be a nice goal to have during that period - soething to help you stop focusing so much on how you look, instead look at what your body can do :bigsmile: Then maybe try a slow bulk and cut to gain some muscle.

Congrats on the losing weight :flowerforyou:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    "ugly4" and "ugly5"?

First suggestion I have is stop calling yourself "ugly"!

Didn't notice this - yes KNOCK IT OFF. You are far far from ugly hon. :flowerforyou: