Please help...stopped smoking and zero weight loss :'(

Options

Replies

• markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I began dieting, eating around 1500 calories a day and exercising. Lost 7lbs.

so do this again...

Yeah , I'd replicate what you were doing then. Make sure you are logging properly and if you are .. stop with the 1200 cals rubbish. Aim for 1lb a week or do exactly what you were doing when you lost 7lbs

I have just stopped smoking after 30 years and my appetite, heart rate, sense of smell and taste buds have all gone crazy. I am not bothered about the weight gain right now, my weight loss was in anticipation of me attempting to stop smoking. Every time I tried in the past... 2-3 kilos per week easily

It will balance out though.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

I know a lot of larger people say they don't know why they are fat but I genuinely don't, I have never eaten that much and always been fat, literally since I was a baby. My younger sister however is a size 0 and she eats whatever she likes - in fact, she hates being a size zero and tries to eat a lot to pt on weight but it doesn't happen.

please search up 'secret eaters' on youtube.

^^^ This. You're probably eating more than you think. But you won't know unless you weigh and log every last little morsel that you put in your mouth. Everything! I was SO surprised at how much I was having when I started logging - and some things are so calorie dense you just don't realise it... cake, peanut butter, Starbucks drinks. It was quite an eye-opener!

Good luck anyway! :smile:
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks so far for all the replies....I will try to eat more, it's just really hard when I am trying to lose weight to equate more food=weight loss.

MFP says I should be eating 1370 calories as lightly active. Also people say weight loss is quicker when you don't eat back exercise calories. How much should I be eating? Thank you SO much again for all your replies your advice is really appreciated.

I know right!! That mental thing drove me nuts too when I changed from 1200 calories to 1900! BTW I am losing more than I ever did on 1200-1600 calories! And all in the right places. My BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate is around 1700 so no wonder I wasnt losing on the lower calorie diet)

You should be eating back your exercise calories if you are going according to MFP.
  • SuperCrsa
    Options
    I fidgeted with some of your numbers on http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    And from what I can see it looks like you should be eating much more!!

I have to say I disagree with this... just because the scale is staying the same and she's not losing. To lose weight she needs to eat less calories, not more, surely? I imagine it's a logging issue, actually.

Well she is a tall woman, and if you calculate her BMR shes eating below that.

She was losing on a higher calorie allowance and since shes dropped it shes not losing anymore...
  • Hildy_J
    Options
    I fidgeted with some of your numbers on http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    And from what I can see it looks like you should be eating much more!!

I have to say I disagree with this... just because the scale is staying the same and she's not losing. To lose weight she needs to eat less calories, not more, surely? I imagine it's a logging issue, actually.

Well she is a tall woman, and if you calculate her BMR shes eating below that.

She was losing on a higher calorie allowance and since shes dropped it shes not losing anymore...

Yeah but that doesn't add up, surely? Anyone who is 200lb+ and active would not have a 2-week weight-loss stall on 1,200 calories a day. Where's the extra energy coming from?
  • SuperCrsa
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/931670-bmr-and-tdee-explained-for-those-needing-a-guide

Have a read here, there are a lot of topics/threads that explain why it is unhealthy to eat below your BMR

Heres a good copy and paste from the thread above that explains it very well:

Given that fact, what we are told with 1200 cal / day is simply false and very detrimental to our body. Some call it "starvation mode" but a more accurate description would be "nutrient deficient." The body looks at that 1200 calories and says, ok, I need (in my case to get specific) 1529 a day to keep you living and breathing and you are giving me 1200, a 300 deficit.

So, in order to keep you living and breathing, again, body NOT caring about weight loss, the body will slow or stop some other systems (metabolism being the 1st it stops) and hang on to those 1200 calories b/c all it knows is that you are under-feeding it and so it must "hoard" that 1200, store it as fat and keep you alive. You essentially are stopping the metabolic process to a halt when you under eat.

:smile:

Edit to add, this is a huge debate that goes on around MFP quite often. 1200 calories.
    I upped my calories and lost, and I am more confident that I am going to go into maintenance a lot easier. Usually I would lose weight and as soon as I start eating normally gain all of it back and then some.
  • ejcmills
    Options
    If you've upped your workout regime you might be turning fat into some muscle. you won't lose immediately, but will start seeing and feeling the results. also cut down on carbs, what you eat is way more important than how much...

good luck!
  • SuperCrsa
    Options
    what you eat is way more important than how much...

Never mind. Someone else can take care of you.
  • Hildy_J
    Options
    So, in order to keep you living and breathing, again, body NOT caring about weight loss, the body will slow or stop some other systems (metabolism being the 1st it stops) and hang on to those 1200 calories b/c all it knows is that you are under-feeding it and so it must "hoard" that 1200, store it as fat and keep you alive.

Well, not really. You can't 'hang on' to energy (in the form of fat) when you're using up more energy living, working and exercising. And if your metabolism stops then you're well, errr... dead.
  • SuperCrsa
    Options
    So, in order to keep you living and breathing, again, body NOT caring about weight loss, the body will slow or stop some other systems (metabolism being the 1st it stops) and hang on to those 1200 calories b/c all it knows is that you are under-feeding it and so it must "hoard" that 1200, store it as fat and keep you alive.

Well, not really. You can't 'hang on' to energy. And if your metabolism stops then you're well, errr... dead.

Why do you think its medically recommended you do not eat below 1200 for a woman?
  • Hildy_J
    Options

Well, not really. You can't 'hang on' to energy. And if your metabolism stops then you're well, errr... dead.

Why do you think its medically recommended you do not eat below 1200 for a woman?

OP isn't eating 1,200, though. She's eating over it. WAY over it. How do I know? Because she's 200lb+ and hasn't lost weight in 2 weeks.
  • SuperCrsa
    Options

OP isn't eating 1,200, though. She's eating over it. WAY over it. How do I know? Because she's 200lb+ and hasn't lost weight in 2 weeks.

I began dieting, eating around 1500 calories a day and exercising. Lost 7lbs. So I quit smoking, increased my workouts, and cut calories to 1200 a day. Two weeks later.....NOTHING! I track everything I eat and I am honestly not cheating.

Then she's a liar and that's the end of the story.
    If she is eating 1200 calories a day and on her feet all day with 3 workouts then the none weight loss is from eating too little.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    OP: Hold on. Quitting smoking WILL stall your weight loss. I had the same issue last year when I quit. Just keep at it. You can eat more, eat less but likely your weight will remain unchanged for a little while. So what. Eat right. Exercise more. Be kind to yourself. Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    If you've upped your workout regime you might be turning fat into some muscle. you won't lose immediately, but will start seeing and feeling the results. also cut down on carbs, what you eat is way more important than how much...

good luck!

Fat doesn't turn into muscle, fat is absorbed by the body. its true you can see body changes but not on the scale, but at her weight on actual net 1200 she should be losing and fast.

you don't need to cut down on carbs, just eat a healthy balanced diet.

And third, from a weight loss perspective, how much you eat is 100% of the equation and what you eat is 0%.

what you eat has nothing to do with it. calories are a unit of energy. if you eat less calories than you need you lose weight. more than you need gain weight. thats it. end of story.

what you eat effects your health and wellbeing - not your weight.

HOW MUCH IS EVERYTHING.

game over man. game over.
  • Hildy_J
    Options

I began dieting, eating around 1500 calories a day and exercising. Lost 7lbs. So I quit smoking, increased my workouts, and cut calories to 1200 a day. Two weeks later.....NOTHING! I track everything I eat and I am honestly not cheating.

Then she's a liar and that's the end of the story.
    If she is eating 1200 calories a day and on her feet all day with 3 workouts then the none weight loss is from eating too little.

Woah... I didn't call anyone anything! I'm just using a process of deduction.

The OP's height, weight and activity level gives her a TDEE of 2,445 calories per day. So in two weeks she will have used 34,230 calories. She says she's only eating 1,200 per day - which only makes a total of 16,800.

So we have 17,430 calories (or 5lbs of fat) unaccounted for. We know the extra energy hasn't come from her body, because she hasn't lost any fat, ie any weight. Therefore, it can only have come from 17,430 calories of food, glorious food. Unlogged.

Elementary. *twiddles moustache*
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Almost 7 years ago I gave up smoking cold turkey. I always was afraid that I would gain weight. So I joined WW and actually LOST 18 pounds which I have never gained back. It can be done. I didn't lose much every week but I just walked and eventually I lost a total of almost 30 lbs. I have never regained it back.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    When smokers quit, they may gain weight for a number of reasons. These include:

Feeling hungry. Quitting smoking may make a person feel hungrier and eat more than usual, but this feeling usually goes away after several weeks.

Having more snacks and alcoholic drinks. Some people eat more high-fat, high-sugar snacks and drink more alcoholic beverages after they quit smoking.

Burning calories at a normal rate again. Every cigarette you smoke makes your body burn calories faster, but is also harmful to your heart. Once you quit, you are no longer getting this temporary effect. Instead, you are burning slightly fewer calories on a daily basis.

http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/smoking.htm

http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20213804,00.html
    (this one says it can take weeks/months for your metabolism to regulate after quitting.)
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    When smokers quit, they may gain weight for a number of reasons. These include:

Feeling hungry. Quitting smoking may make a person feel hungrier and eat more than usual, but this feeling usually goes away after several weeks.

Having more snacks and alcoholic drinks. Some people eat more high-fat, high-sugar snacks and drink more alcoholic beverages after they quit smoking.

Burning calories at a normal rate again. Every cigarette you smoke makes your body burn calories faster, but is also harmful to your heart. Once you quit, you are no longer getting this temporary effect. Instead, you are burning slightly fewer calories on a daily basis.

http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/smoking.htm

http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20213804,00.html
    (this one says it can take weeks/months for your metabolism to regulate after quitting.)

High-Five-GIF-1.gif
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Two weeks?? Come back if you don't see any loss in a month and a half. Two weeks is too short.

You didn't gain all that weight in two weeks. Stop expecting results in a week or two or three.

And you are eating too little at 1200. Go back to 1700. The weight will drop.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks so far for all the replies....I will try to eat more, it's just really hard when I am trying to lose weight to equate more food=weight loss.

MFP says I should be eating 1370 calories as lightly active. Also people say weight loss is quicker when you don't eat back exercise calories. How much should I be eating? Thank you SO much again for all your replies your advice is really appreciated.

This thread is infuriating (as are the 10,000+ JUST LIKE IT!!!)

Go back to what works (1700) since it worked for you.

Give it more than 2 weeks.

You are NOT considered "lightly active"....seriously!?! Moderate at the very least, but I am thinking more than that even.

You ARE eating too little - If you are even keeping track. The energy you feel in the evenings is a sugar rush, you are not a special snowflake. You admit to eating mini chocolate bars when you get home, feel "stuffed" (rolls eyes) then can't figure out why you have some energy.