Midnight Run -vs- Dawn Run

Options
I'm trying to get back into running, and because I live in town, I always run at 6am so that a) nobody sees me and b) I'm not constantly stopping at traffic lights, over-taking shoppers etc. I'm thinking a midnight jog (or, you know, 10pm) would be good, but somehow running at night seems more dangerous than running first thing. Who does it?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why do you care if anyone sees you?
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just run better if I'm not self-conscious about being a red sweaty mess.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning - less chance of drunken idiots being about IME
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    I guess it's dependent upon a couple of factors - so off the top of my head -

*Traffic - what is it like early morning/at night. Are you near bars/clubs that would increase the risk of drunk drivers at night?

*Clothing - are you wearing light/reflective clothes so that people driving can see you? Or reflective bands?

*Sidewalks - could you run up on a sidewalk, or do you literally have to run on the road?

*You - what do you prefer? Are you more alert in the morning/at night?
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That makes good sense. Night is going to be worse for chucking-out time at the pubs and taxi traffic... And I think it's generally easier to get out of bed when it's cold and dark, than to come home when it's cold and dark and head back out again.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just run when it feels right for you. I really don't like running in the morning, so I don't.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    That makes good sense. Night is going to be worse for chucking-out time at the pubs and taxi traffic... And I think it's generally easier to get out of bed when it's cold and dark, than to come home when it's cold and dark and head back out again.

Right the answer is: it depends and whatever works for you