Help for cold lunches

Options
I'm trying to eat healthier. I am at a stand still for lunch. I pack a cooler everyday, I do not have access to a microwave so my lunches must be cold. I am getting sick of salads and sandwiches. Any fresh ideas out there???

Replies

• FrankieBenjamin
    FrankieBenjamin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    cold leftovers from dinner? stirfry, meat and veg, fish and veg, pasta, pasta salad, cous cous or quinoa, friuit salad nuts adn yoghurt could all work depending on your tastes?
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    lettuce wraps, hummus, yogurt, PB on celery, cheese & crackers, sushi... do those help
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Google bento boxes for loads of inspiration.
  • travelcoffeemug
    travelcoffeemug Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually bring salad, so that's no help, but you could take a bunch of little things for lunch. Yogurt, nuts (usually almonds for me, but whatever you like), a piece of fruit (apple, orange, banana), crackers with peanut butter, baby carrots and hummus, string cheese, etc.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I bring yogurt most days for my pm snacks. Not a fan of cold leftovers, but the rest of your suggestions sound doable. Thank you all!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Really you need to define healthy. Because as long as you get your calories, then it's healthy. But what I eat is:

Sandwiches, tuna, egg salad, salad (lettuce, spinach, cucumber, carrots, tomato, avocado, egg and cornish hen/chicken.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Slices of cold frittata/Spanish omelette - omnomnomnomnom. Full of protein to keep you satisfied and add as much veg/delicious stuff as you can! I love feta and chorizo with peppers - about 433 calories and SO filling.
  • teelynn35
    Options
    Google bento boxes for loads of inspiration.

I had never heard of these. Brilliant. Thanks
  • teelynn35
    Options
    Really you need to define healthy. Because as long as you get your calories, then it's healthy. But what I eat is:

Sandwiches, tuna, egg salad, salad (lettuce, spinach, cucumber, carrots, tomato, avocado, egg and cornish hen/chicken.

I mean healthy as in not take out. I'm a recovering fast food a holic :)
  • rachjenn
    Options
    Tuna ? :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Gazpacho
  • AndreaNS11
    Options
    I often put about a cup of dannon light and fit vanilla yogurt in a to go container, and then add in chopped up strawberries and banana slices and then take about 3/4 cup of granola too. It doesn't sound like much, but it's good and filling most days. I'll also do carrots with hummus, a turkey wrap, and fruit.
  • Naturalhiker
    Options
    I like to go buy local rotisserie chicken then just cut all the good meat off it put it in ziploc bags and just take that with an apple, raisins etc. But its just an easy way to get good protein and tastes just as good cold.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Hummus and salsa mixed served with crackers and veg?

Cook 1 cup of whole wheat couscous, let cool, and then mix with 1 can drained beans of choice or soy beans, and 4 cups of roasted veg. Toss with a little homemade dressing (balsamic with oil and spices). Should yield 4 healthy servings. Getting all your macros too.

Cook up a batch of hard boiled eggs. Pair them with anything. If you peel them once cool they'll keep in your fridge for several days.
    2 eggs with some veg, grain and cheese is a great meal with all your food groups.

I eat most leftovers and everything else cold, so I never have this problem... I'm sure you'll come up with lots of great suggestions!
  • teelynn35
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great ideas!! I'm trying desperately to avoid the drive thrus. Your suggestions will help immensely :)
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I often have:

Quiche (veg or salmon and brocolli)
    boiled egg, tomato and avocado
    tomato, feta and olives
    new potato, spring onion and light mayo
    mixed spicy beans, chopped peppers, tomatoes
    Prawns, cooked or smoked salmon with brown roll or salad

plus yogurt, fruit, peanut butter, piece of cheese
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,670 Member
    Options
    Although I have access to a microwave and a fridge at work am too lazy to use either. I eat a room temperature packed lunch which is 100-200g frozen veg, microwaved the night before. Add leftover meat, boiled eggs or crab sticks for protein. Will sometimes dress up the veg with a dollop of pesto, chilli sauce or hummous.
  • FrankieBenjamin
    FrankieBenjamin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you have no microwave you could also take in soup (or other hot items) in a thermos flask?
  • BennettV72
    Options
    I love the gazpacho idea.

Also, something that I really enjoy is a cold Asian noodle salad. I use miracle noodles and add some chicken, bean sprouts, steamed broccoli, carrots and a quick soy/vinegar sauce. Tastes better cold than hot!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump