I did it! I cruised, I ate, and I survived!

Options
LOL! After eating around 1200-1300 calories per day since the beginning of July, I was so concerned about weight gain on my cruise last week. I wanted to enjoy my cruise and eat freely, not pig out but not monitor every little bite. And I am back and happy to report that I ate lots and lots of delicious food, indulged on ice cream and desserts, drank unmeasured amounts of REAL soda, only to have gained 0.8 of a pound over 9 days. Then promptly dropped 3 pounds over the next two days because I think I was holding onto a bunch of water weight from the sodium.

And, of course, MFP rewarded me today by dropping my calorie intake to exactly 1200 calories per day. Boo.

Replies

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I LOVE cruising, and I love to eat, so I would have worried, too.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    We are going in February on our 7th cruise :) This one out of Puerto Rico - I can't wait. It is my favorite vacation and I firmly refuse to diet on my vacation lol

I am usually doing alot more activity on one though (walking, snorkeling, scuba diving, zip lining etc...). How can you not have 2 lobsters at the captain's dinner :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Awesome job.
  • ljplunkett
    ljplunkett Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So happy that you posted this!!! We are going on a cruise 12/27 and I'm already obsessing over it! Plus the fact that it's the holiday eating season!!! I've decided November is No-Gain November in which I'm staying very active and tracking everything in hopes of staying the same or a small loss, and the same for December. I want to enjoy the cruise and every aspect of it without constantly worrying about it!!
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Leaving for a 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise on the 16th. Im not worried about gaining weight, but I am worried about tracking my numbers... I dont like gaps in my spreadsheets. Makes me OCD nutty. :)
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Who wants to spend half their cruise time sitting at a computer?

Leaving for a 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise on the 16th. Im not worried about gaining weight, but I am worried about tracking my numbers... I dont like gaps in my spreadsheets. Makes me OCD nutty. :)
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Who wants to spend half their cruise time sitting at a computer?

Not me... I completely unplug on my cruises - no phones, no computers - nada! I always tell my mom (who watches my kids) that she will have to call the ship company to reach me :D
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Well done! Thank you for sharing.

I am going to on a 7 day cruise the 21st of December and I have been thinking about how to keep things in perspective and moderation and still indulge in the splendor of the food!

When I am on vacation I unplug too! No time to be worrying about logging and texting ...... Christmas Day we will make a few phone calls and that's it.

Karen
  • rceleste40
    rceleste40 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I am so glad to hear it. I am going on a 10 day cruise in December and have been worried for months about all the food on the cruise. Hoping to do as well as you!
  • smallbutcurvy
    Options
    Impressive! Glad you had a great time!
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You did really well. Last year, I gained 12 lbs on a 12 day cruise. This year I did a one week cruise and visited with a friend for another two weeks and gained 5 lbs over the three weeks. I was pretty happy that was all that I gained. I have lost 4 of the 5 in a month so I am getting there. Only 3 lbs to my goal. I am really impressed that you gained so little. Keeping active helps!
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    It's a great feeling isn't it? I just "survived" a week in Cancun with no logging and no gain other then the sodium bloat which quickly took care of itself when I returned.
  • samammay
    Options
    As a follow up... I took my cruise, didnt log a thing (while I was gone and just quick added calories when I got back), I ate 3 full meals a day with desserts (maybe 2...), drank plenty and had a great time. I was limited in my physical activity due to a torn rotator cuff.

3 days after returning (this morning) I am back at my lowest weight ever.
  • clambert1273
    Options
    As a follow up... I took my cruise, didnt log a thing (while I was gone and just quick added calories when I got back), I ate 3 full meals a day with desserts (maybe 2...), drank plenty and had a great time. I was limited in my physical activity due to a torn rotator cuff.

I shall be having me some Chocolate Melting Cake on mine in February :laugh:
  • samammay
    Options

One evening we both ordered the chocolate souffle and the waiter said "those are great, but here - let me bring you a panna cotta too. Its really good". Then held a gun to our heads until we ate it. :-D

That was a good night...
  • clambert1273
    Options

One evening we both ordered the chocolate souffle and the waiter said "those are great, but here - let me bring you a panna cotta too. Its really good". Then held a gun to our heads until we ate it. :-D

That was a good night...

Hate when they hold guns and make me eat :bigsmile:
  • samammay
    Options

I know, right? We were in one of the Adult Only restaurants on the Disney Fantasy. I asked the waiter which was better between two of the entrees. His response "they are both great. Let me bring both for you and you can decide which is better yourself".

So that night I have 2 desserts and 2 entrees. And an app and soup and bread and a bottle of wine...

Most nights weren't like that though. The portions were reasonable and I made smart choices (while never dipping into the 'lighter choices' portion of the menu). All in all, it was great. I always felt like I was indulging, yet the net effect was 0 gain.
  • clambert1273
    Options

I know, right? We were in one of the Adult Only restaurants on the Disney Fantasy. I asked the waiter which was better between two of the entrees. His response "they are both great. Let me bring both for you and you can decide which is better yourself".

So that night I have 2 desserts and 2 entrees. And an app and soup and bread and a bottle of wine...

Most nights weren't like that though. The portions were reasonable and I made smart choices (while never dipping into the 'lighter choices' portion of the menu). All in all, it was great. I always felt like I was indulging, yet the net effect was 0 gain.

When I get back I won't tell you about my food or my... umm.... drinkage LOL Drinks alone will send me to oblivion....
  • YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love cruising! I went on a couple before, while being pretty intense about my weight maintenance, and I actually found it almost easier than normal, since I could load up on fresh fruits and veggies, and my activity level was through the roof because of excursions. Of course, the temptations were there, but I found the variety available to be simpler than having to prep that much produce myself, and I am usually so much more active on vacations than usual.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a great success, and a great time! Kudos!