Roller Derby Lite...anyone?

Options
I recently found out about RDL, and as luck would have it there is one in my area. The new session is starting up in January and I plan to join. For anyone who hasn't heard of it, Roller Derby Lite is fitness driven and no hitting allowed.

Having never done roller derby (it's always been on my bucket list) - I'd love some tips from anyone experienced with it... on clothes. Where do you get your stuff? What should I wear? I know it's typically pretty fun stuff and I don't think I'm going to find this stuff at Macy's. Help!

Replies

• Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    This sounds awesome! One of my friends does regular derby, but I'm not that tough. Will have to check out if there is something in my area. :)

BTW - LOVE the Doctor tracker!
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Haha, thanks! I don't know if I'm tough enough for regular derby either. That's why I'm 38 and it's still on my bucket list! I don't mind getting bruised up, I just don't know if I'm aggressive enough to be an asset to a team.

I found out about Roller Derby Lite in the checkout line of the grocery store where my 9 year old daughter was chatting up the girl in front of us, telling her how her mom loves to do boring stuff like run, and the girl and I both agreed we liked roller skating as well. That's when I found out about this whole thing - she is the person who runs it for our area. So I guess I have my chatty cathy daughter to thank for getting me into it. :laugh:

They do have a website and there are classes all over the country.
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Quad skates, a helmet, mouth guard, and pads will be your essentials, but you might be able to borrow equipment at the class if you just want to try it for a one off. Wear shorts and a t-shirt, and stripey socks! Enjoy it :smile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, its here,, and its fun!, only we hit,,,, i roller blade every day!
    LOVE IT!
  • smithbeck2
    smithbeck2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of roller derby lite. I play roller derby and love it! It is a great workout but the full contact is my favorite part! :)
  • smithbeck2
    smithbeck2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    There are roller derby shops popping up everywhere. See if there is one in your area. If not there are lots of online shops. Get decent skates ($200 or more). As far as pads and helmets go, you can go cheaper since you shouldn't have to use them much since you won't be hitting or falling much. Have fun!
  • Ovrsees
    Options
    Both my step daughters play for the Junior team here and Im an offical ..... got to the WFTDA web site (Womens Flat Track Derby Association) as well as Roller Girls . com . Both have great informaion on equipment and rules of play.

Enjoy and welcome to the sport of DERBY!
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    OP: Thank you for posting this! I didn't know about this option. I've wanted to do roller derby, but I'm not sure my fitness is where it needs to be. I think I could swing this, and it looks like there's one in my area. Thanks again!
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ooohhhh I'm going to check that out and see if theres one near me!
  • Nimue108
    Nimue108 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am a Roller Girl (Dr. Who's YerMama is ym derby name) and I have to say that it is one of the best things I have ever done. The women I play with are great and I have learned alot about my body in the process. I agree with all the gear ideas people have given and I wanted to throw out to start working on squats now because derby position is between 90 and 110 degrees at the knees I believe. If you find that you like the lite I suggest finding a boot camp in your area and try it with REAL teams. I have gotten hurt, but it is mainly bumps and bruises. If you DO get interested and have questions I am up for friend requests and messages. Have fun!!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to do roller derby but the league close to me always has it on nights that interfere with my sons activities.

The 'Lite' part of it would not interest me though-I want some full on real roller derby if I were to join.