Wow, what a difference!!!

Options
alf1163
alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
I bought a heart rate monitor yesterday at Wal Mart. I bought the mio sport select, just under $40. I did not want to spend a lot. I read the instructions carefully and entered all the info. I did the exact same workout I did last Saturday and it said I burned 534 calories!!!! 152 more calories than what MFP calculated last Saturday...of course I know it is an estimate!!! What do you guys think?? I believe it because I am winded and drenched in sweat after that workout!!!! It is a circuit training strength training workout and interval cardio on a stationary bike and the treadmill.

Replies

• alf1163
    Options
    I bought a heart rate monitor yesterday at Wal Mart. I bought the mio sport select, just under $40. I did not want to spend a lot. I read the instructions carefully and entered all the info. I did the exact same workout I did last Saturday and it said I burned 534 calories!!!! 152 more calories than what MFP calculated last Saturday...of course I know it is an estimate!!! What do you guys think?? I believe it because I am winded and drenched in sweat after that workout!!!! It is a circuit training strength training workout and interval cardio on a stationary bike and the treadmill.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    trust the monitor. this site is wiki-like, it can be way off. Congrats!:happy:
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Wow-quite a difference! I may have to get me one of those! :laugh:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Yes, I am excited about it!!! The store I went to had 3 types, 2 mio brands and a Polar one. I bought the mio one that had the most features. The Polar brand was $10 more (48.88). I know a lot of people recommended the Polar but I did not want to spend much and I also think they are higher in price because they are brand name...I can't wait to use it and see how many calories I burn when I do The Biggest Loser Cardio Max workout!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ehorner1976
    ehorner1976 Posts: 147
    Options
    I feel a little stupid for asking, but is this something you wear like a pedometer?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The HRM is awesome. . .

I find that some things I burn way more than MFP said, and some a lot less. I do notice now that I pay attention to how hard I'm working. I feel that my exercise has been much more worth my time since I got the monitor. I no longer "just coast" through my workout.

and ehorner, you wear it like a watch. Some use a chest strap to monitor, and some don't. Don't feel stupid, I only recently (about six months ago) discovered this amazing little machine. I used to wonder at the gym all the time: "why is that guy beeping?"