Should I just quit trying treadmill?

Options
13»

Replies

• mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are great but there is no better feeling than finishing a strong run in the snow, rain, freezing temps or blazing sun. You have to be safe but challenging the elements is half the fun!!!

meh....I love running don't get me wrong but the best feeling I have ever had was bench pressing my body weight. The second best however was the first time I finished a 5k.
    I run because I enjoy the run whether that be outside or inside.
  • katimama
    katimama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest C25K.

I've struggled with running for the last 18 months but never giving in. Finally yesterday I managed to hit the 2 miles mark and run for 27 minutes. My previous best was 15 mins maximum and the runners high was amazing and worth the effort.

Keep going and you will finally get there.

Runners high ... I want THAT! Just started up on the treadmill a few days ago and have downloaded C25K on my phone.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Running is a whole different story than the ellipitical or arc trainer or any of those other machines. It takes a lot of diligence and getting used to it and there really is not a way to just jump right into it. I can run 5 miles including hills, but in the beginning I was struggling for just a quarter mile and I did cardio like a mad woman and considered myself to be in pretty good shape. Don't give up and just work your way up by using C25K or something like that....you will get there. Don't overlook weight training either because there are a lot of benefits to it and doing circuit is a good way to get a great workout while incorporating weights also. Best of luck to you!
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes, do hill sprints and burn more calories, even when you sleep.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Pay more attention to your diet. It's mostly what you eat. Eat less, move more.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting to run, doing it outside is MUCH easier than on a treadmill. Button mashing to get the speed up/down to where you need it is so annoying... hopefully it's not frozen where you're at so you can, but if it is, just try taking it slower. start jogging at say 4 mph instead of the 5/6 it recommends for jogging. Just get used to that bouncy kinda movement for jogging. Then eventually you'll be able to start picking up the speed just a little bit at a time and it won't be so hard.

But, if you really hate it, then do something else. Doing something is better than nothing, and chances are you won't stick with something you hate doing (though running is great, if you do get a chance to start it really is something you come to love :smile: ... usually, lol)

Couch to 5 k (C25k) is a good program to start running with.
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Couch 2 5 K. I'm more than 100 lbs overweight. Have never ran a day in my life until 10 weeks ago. I've now run consecutive 1.75 miles. I'm slow, but I'm doing it. I try to do one "long" run per week and then intervals to increase speed and distance. C 25 K has helped me with that. I'm now running 4-5 days a week.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I must be weird. I prefer the treadmill to outside simply BECAUSE I can zone out. Granted, I'm just starting off, so who knows, that may eventually change.