Tips for an instructor?

Options
I recently qualified as a PT, which is awesome, but the gym I'm working at wants me to lead some group classes, which isn't something I was really planning on doing. I'm up for the challenge, but as I'm someone who has only really ever taken part in the odd circuits session, I was wondering what tips any of you class-goers might have for me.
What do you like in an instructor?
What stands out - good or bad?
I'll be doing kettlebells, abs and spinning.

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I want to see that your having fun by the expression on your face. I love it when they yell like this is so hot!! I want to be motivated and and want them to be comical.
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    get used to looking at people and talking about their left and right. You may be doing a move in front of them, telling them to move left while you are moving right.
    Look out for people who are new to a class and may be struggling. Bring the class down a little if need be.
    A carrot is a better motivator than a stick, praise the good where possible.
    If someone does something wrong try to tell them what they need to do not what they are doing wrong. So not, you need to stop using your neck when you crunch - instead, try and really focus on keeping your eyes on the cieling and pulling your stomach in to really work your abs.
    Be confident in what you say. If you get it wrong most people won't notice as long as you say it confidently and keep going.
    Be clear speak slowly but don't shout.
    Don't be afraid to bring your personality in to it. Use words you choose not ones you think you should.

Hope this helps
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Suprised they're asking you to do classes without having certification/s to do so. That said you need to make sure your form is PERFECT on everything. If your form isn't, how will you be able to spot bad form & correct it? Spin class-do you know how to properly fit a bike to a student? Do you know what are safe cadences & resistance to use in a class?

Sorry if my post sounds critical, but as a certified trainer & Spinning instructor, these are the most important things. A fun workout environment, good music etc. are secondary to instructing a safe class.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I second Leadfoot_Lewi! If you're going to be teaching group classes... especially Spinning then you should go for the certifications for them. Spinning certification especially. The other classes you could get away with going to an AFAA group exercise cert. Most gyms require it as group classes are different than one on one or even small group training.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I am already certified in group exercise instruction (prerequisite for the PT qualification), and I'm being given the training for these classes, but it's a little bit of baptism by fire, the whole process is so fast. It's one thing being trained in the techniques and teaching points, it's another thing to know what makes a class a good class.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Learn proper cues and the errors they apply to....(e.g. pull yourself down, stand tall, long arms, etc)

Brief commands that get them to unknowingly do what you want them to do.