Out of Shape

Options
Well here it is some people are in enough shape to work out and burn off calories. And then there is me who hasn't worked out for years, and I don't even know how because I've never been this big. I used to hike alot, lift weights, cardio, walking, biking, and I was even overweight while doing these activities. But I still had drive and I was some what tone. Pregnancy 7 yrs ago was half on bed rest due to Pre-ecclampsia, and I swelled up and gained horible amount of weight and I only lost 40lbs after birth, 7 years and counting my body tone has dissapated and I've gained weight 20lbs past pregnacy weight. I'm so discouraged because besides just walking even slow is hard on my body. I want to work out but everyone (that I see) is skinny or barely over weight. I buy DVD's and want to attempt these moves or poses but I'm not in any body shape to do those things. How does an Obese person workout? I used to do 100 sit ups fast and now can't even do it right cause huge belly is in the way, so I feel like why try. Any practical ideas?

Replies

• krazie4u247
    krazie4u247 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it is to really get back into the momentum of working out. Especially when you feel that it is hopeless. So first thing I suggest is to try some positive thinking and take it one day at a time. Start out really slow and try not to look at anyone else or worry about them. I was so scared of lifting at the gym because I was afraid people would laugh at me. That is the dumbest thing ever because I am only hurting myself by worrying about others.

I want to try to make some suggestions but I need to understand more about the pain you feel when trying to workout. So when you say that walking slow is hard on your body. Can you explain how it is hard on your body? Do specific areas hurt? Have you tried doing any swimming?

If you feel that your body has way to much weight right now to workout maybe the best thing for you to do for the next month is really change your diet. The diet has a lot more effect on how much weight you lose then anything else. So maybe you need to work out a diet adjustment until you lose enough pounds where you feel that your body can take working out. I can provide more suggestions once I know the pain you are feeling when you try to workout and what you have done.

Are you actually obese or do you just feel that way? I know this man at my gym who is really obese and he does the treadmill he does a lot of stuff and I know it is possible but it takes time to build up the strength and motivation.
  • StephieWheats
    StephieWheats Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    What about swimming? Do you or anyone you know own a pool that you might be comfortable going to? When I started I would walk for about 20-30 minutes because thats all I could do. Just remember something is better than nothing. I am now up to walking about 3 miles a day. I guess just keep at it and build up some stamina. Stop and take breaks along your walk if needed. Make sure you take water so you dont dehydrate yourself. Just remember we all started somewhere. Just do what you can and keep at it everything will get easier!
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I cannot walk on treadmill because it makes my knees ache. I get on the elliptical and just take my time when I first started out. I also cannot stand long periods of time due to my back so if I do something like zumba or dance aerobics I have to take breaks in between. I also spin where I am seated at some points in the workout. The main thing is to take your time. I was 377 lbs when I started spinning and people could not believe it because smaller people poop out. Water aerobics is great. I can't run out of the pool but I get a awesome workout running in the pool. While in the water you are light as a feather. Just try different things until you find what you can do.
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i am totally going to email you!
  • redcoop22
    Options
    I feel ur discouragement.....I have just started too and am out of shape. I try to walk some but like they have all said u must start somewhere. 10 min today then 11 min tomorrow...consistancy is the key. How is ur overall health today? Is it just the weight or other things? I agree with the swimming or water aerobics. they r nonweight bearing. It really depends on where u live and what u have access to. I'll wait for ur reply.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Look for no to low impact aerobics. In a pool is good too, there's many community pools that offer classes like that. And as odd as i may sound I really like Yoga. No impact and a great work out.

The most important part is to do something. Something that get's your heart beating and gets you moving. You don't have to kill yourself, in fact the key is to make sure that you're tired but not completely wiped out after a workout. Keep at it, no matter what it is, and it will get easier and easier. Soon you'll be on here looking for a better workout than the one you pick now. :-)

GL on your journey.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Start with what you CAN do! Walk as far as you can - and then back again - even if it is to the corner and back. Each week add a few more steps. Swimming or water aerobics (which I do) is a perfect low-impact exercise for people with a lot of weight to lose. Do not worry about what you look like in a bathing suit - just get one and do it! I have spoken to many of these skinny people at gyms and pools and they tell me it is GREAT to see people doing something about their health - most people will not judge! Soon you will be able to do some of the lower impact DVD's and in no time you will be working out like the rest of them. Seriously -just look at the positive and start with what you CAN do! You CAN do it! Good luck!
  • Fiedems
    Fiedems Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I can't see your weight, but I'm in the same boat. This is my first week on the site and I'm just starting by being honest with myself. I'm concentrating on my diet right now, yes I want to work out. I know that eventually I will NEED to work out. But right now, putting less calories in my mouth is a big accomplishment. Being honest and keeping track of REALLY what I eat is huge. And lol, just drinking water and taking a vitamin is waaaay more than I have done for years.

So instead of saying OMG I can't, concentrate on what you can. Do that, and improve on it slowly day by day.

If you hurt just walking around with the type of activity you are currently doing (forgive the assumption that it is probably not that much), then I would suggest you see your doctor to get suggestions about what would be healthy for you. Once he/she has determined that you are in fact "healthy" enough to exercise then start slow. Swimming, walking, low stress options are a great way to start. Lots of gyms, including the YMCA have programs to help you find the right type of exercise for you.

Good LUCK!!
  • kara2
    kara2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I can totally sympathize with you. When I started this journey to a healthier me on May 28th, 2010 I was 377 lbs. It hurt to walk even when I went grocery shopping. I decided that I had to start somewhere so I started walking around my neighborhood. I wasn't able to make it very far the first few days but every day it got better. After about two weeks of walking everyday I finally went to the high school track. I could make it around 2 times which was 1/2 a mile. I tried that for a week or so but it still hurt. This sweet old lady in a hot pink sweatshirt helped me one day to get over the hump. She walked with me the last 1/4 mile and told me her story of how she had lost 60 lbs by walking and doing wii fitness. She now can run 4 miles. She has had both of her knees replaced but she decided she wanted to play with her grandchildren more than letting the pain get to her. That day I made it a mile.

I agree with everyone else on the swimming. I have been doing water aerobics for about 3 weeks now. It is a lot easier on the joints. At my rec center where I work out the water aerobics class is filled with all kinds of people, from people like me who are morbidly obese to those that only have 20 lbs to lose. You have to decide within yourself that you want to be healthier. No one can do this for you. I heard a quote once that "You cannot push anyone up the ladder unless he is willing to climb." - Andrew Carnegie

I also got a good pair of shoes. It was worth the investment. I think if I can do it at 377.6 lbs then anyone can do it. I am down to 361.2 lbs now. It does become easier. Best of luck to you.
  • AlekiaH
    AlekiaH Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes I'm considered Morbid Obese and I tried hiking 2 miles up hill and my body hurt so bad and breathing hard even going slow, had to go back down sooner then wanted to. 3 days later I had a swollen gland and a fever blister on my lip and this has happened to my body 3 times from over extending myself on hikes, results were doctor visit with antibiotics he says I stressed my body out so bad it caused an infection, I'm almost scared to try. But yes I can swim or tread water. Thanks for any advice and or encouragement!
  • krazie4u247
    krazie4u247 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm considered Morbid Obese and I tried hiking 2 miles up hill and my body hurt so bad and breathing hard even going slow, had to go back down sooner then wanted to. 3 days later I had a swollen gland and a fever blister on my lip and this has happened to my body 3 times from over extending myself on hikes, results were doctor visit with antibiotics he says I stressed my body out so bad it caused an infection, I'm almost scared to try. But yes I can swim or tread water. Thanks for any advice and or encouragement!

I think you can do it. You probably pushed to hard on your first go round. I know that it does get very frustrating and discouraging. I think it will help you a lot if you do water workouts. Running in the water is great for you because it is low impact. You can also if your gym offers it take water aerobics classes. Just don't get discouraged. Just try doing something for 10 minutes. Even if its only 10 minutes that will be a great start for you. Just take it one day at a time and one minute a day. All of us are here to support you.
  • carcar63
    carcar63 Posts: 158
    Options
    I completely understand what you are feeling, I am 332 and feel like it's hard to get started. I walk with my daughter, she gets me started and keeps me going, granted she goes faster and is usually ahead of me, but I try. We walk around the block, it's 1mile. And like every one else, try pool. We were on vaca last week and the kids got me in the pool, it was great, I doggie paddled, played with the kids,
    Start slow and stick to it, same advise i'm giving to myself. Oh, and keep track of you food intake, when I've lost weight before that seemed to work really well. ( it was only 15#s & i gained it back, but it does work).
    Good Luck
  • countrymama08
    Options
    Don't go uphill or hike. Walk slowly around your house for 10 minutes. If it is not hot outside, walk around your yard for that 10 minutes. I would avoid terrain and hills and just slowly walk. I know a lot of people walk around malls.

I often try to do too much when I start and it shows. I hurt and then can't keep up that momentum day after day.