LOOKING TO START A MFP GROUP

Options
I am looking to start a MFP group. I started one before but had no idea what I was doing. I am looking to start a group WITH someone who knows the ins and outs of running a group. If you are interested and can explain why you would be a good fit, message me!

1) I want this group to be ORGANIZED. I do not want just anyone posting threads... I want the threads only posted by the admins.(I dont know how to lock threads, this is where I would need help!)
2) I would like a group where there are weekly challenges.
3) Also, the group would do weekly weigh-ins.
4) Members must have a goal!
5) I want to limit the number of members to 150. (I dont know how to do this, this is where I would need help!)
6) If members do not interact after a week, they will be removed.
7) I want sub topics to include: intros, recipes, and general chit chat.
8) Looking for a catchy name and photo for the group.

If you can help with these things, you must message me! I will not get notifications if people respond to this post.

Thank you!

Replies

• dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    numbers 1 and 6 kind of inherently conflict.. you can't have people interacting freely if it's only within the structure that you predefine as "neat" and "organized."

you're basically kind of describing the main forums, what's your goal for creating the group? what will the theme and focus be? 90% of groups here have a reason for being built. you need to start there.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I would learn how the site/groups work before actually starting one. It's very easy, but with your strict rules you probably won't solicit much interest.
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Interacting would include participating in a challenge, or adding their weekly weigh-in.

My main goal for the group would be an organized gathering of topics. Of course the goal is to eat better, lose fat, connect with others etc. With the groups I see now, anyone and everyone post threads in the group which causes 10+ pages of threads which are messy! There should be a "Questions" "Chit Chat" and other threads for these to go under.

I am trying to learn how to run a group but there arent many things out there that explain how to do some things (Pin a thread, lock a thread)
    These rules really aren't strict. I mean, people come on here to connect with others and get healthier. They aren't "rules" either. I want weekly challenges and weigh-ins because they keep people on track and interested. Of course you need a goal to reach... otherwise you're just floating around without a desire to get anywhere.
    Limiting the number of members allows for closer connection between others in the group.

This should not be considered "strict."
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    If you really want to start a group, go to Groups and click on Start a Group and read the info there. If you want to limit the group, make it private after you hit your target number. If you actually start the group, it may then tell you how to pin topics and other things. Sometimes you have to play around with things to find out what you want to know. You need to be a little more willing to do the research yourself. I mean really, you even want someone to give you the name and photo for this group that you want to start.

And as someone said above, if you don't want people to start threads, but you want them to interact, you're not going to get 15, let alone 150. I don't understand how limiting threads will allow for a closer connection between people in the group? And some people are busy and forget they're in a group - do you have time to monitor 150 people to kick them off a group if they don't post in a week? There are already forums for Intros, Recipes, and Chit Chat - most people are likely to go there where they can come and go as they please - but you could pin those as topics. Keeping in mind too that if you can only post under a pinned topic, those wind up with dozens of pages and most people aren't going to scroll through to see what's new or if anyone read & answered their question
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    There are a billion groups out there by people that have started various challenges, which is what you want to do. Just learn how to do it and do it, it's that simple - running a group on this site isn't rocket science - I've started a group before and it took me all of a half hour to figure it out. I agree with the poster's comments regarding you monitoring 150 people...there's no way that you can do that. Nor will you foster "closeness" by dictating who can and can't post or just how "neat" the boards must be.

I would start small and keep things easy and loose until you get the hang of it.
  • TheGirlsATimeBomb
    TheGirlsATimeBomb Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    i am pretty good at speadsheets if you're looking for someone to keep track of the weekly weigh-ins and the progress towards their goals.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    how would someone do goals/weigh in's and check ins without posting? just a question..
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    There are a billion groups out there by people that have started various challenges, which is what you want to do. Just learn how to do it and do it, it's that simple - running a group on this site isn't rocket science - I've started a group before and it took me all of a half hour to figure it out. I agree with the poster's comments regarding you monitoring 150 people...there's no way that you can do that. Nor will you foster "closeness" by dictating who can and can't post or just how "neat" the boards must be.

I would start small and keep things easy and loose until you get the hang of it.
    this! I think you might be complicating it.. the group section is very easy to understand. You can sticky notes, delete etc., all you have to do is look below the thread and the info is there exactly like it is on the posts on the main boards.

It sounds more like you want to be in power than have a group... I'd saying pick a topic, see if anyone wants to join after reading this thread (yes, it comes off as a bit .....can't even think of the word) and learn that you really can't monitor 150 ppl and allow them to have freedom. If they aren't allowed to speak and you are the only one talking in the group, what would be the point of even having a group??

I Mod a group and we've never had an issue yet, no one Lords power over any one else.. instead we have respect toward one another and it runs smoothly. We're all equal so it's a wonderful group, can't imagine why anyone would join up in a group where the person interested in starting the group didn't know what they were up to and didn't want the members to have freedom.

Perhaps finding a group already in progress or sticking to the mainboards might be a better fit for you?:smile:
    how would someone do goals/weigh in's and check ins without posting? just a question..
    and what a great question it is!! There would be no way to interact in a group without interacting.. there would be no reason for the group if the person that started it didn't want any interaction.

:huh: I'm sorry.. but this sounds rather egotistical and rather odd to have this many rules for a group but not know how to even follow simple directions to begin one. Am I missing something?
    I would learn how the site/groups work before actually starting one. It's very easy, but with your strict rules you probably won't solicit much interest.
    :drinker:
    anyone and everyone post threads in the group which causes 10+ pages of threads which are messy!
    I would actually call this participation (don't you want ppl to participate and post on your threads??? Why would there be threads if no one posted on them?), with a good group leader the small groups are NOT messy and all over the place..

I think that might be where you want to start, you've only been a member since May perhaps simply joining a group already set up can help you learn about a group. A mod or owner is not all powerful and doesn't need to be, it's the group that makes up the group.. not the owner. Too many crazy strict rules and you'll have no interest or lots of ppl joining to watch the drama but not participate in the actual group activities.

My apologies if If I'm missing something in your thread but by others responses it seems I'm not.
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    Your group should have a specific topic or goal, otherwise it just sounds like the main forums. Maybe you should join a group already formed on MFP. You're rules sound too complicated. Weight loss is tough enough without more complications. Good luck to you though
  • ashleybreanna13
    ashleybreanna13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love how whenever I post anything in these message boards, people get super negative. Like, reading these comments does not make anyone feel good and that sucks. My intention of my post was not to sound like a dictator starting a group. It was not to have someone do all those things FOR me, it was to HELP run a group. Those were topics we would work on together. And I would not lock threads so no one can interact, I never said that. If I posted a Weigh in for the week thread, and the week passed, I would lock it so people would know to go to the next weigh in thread.

I don't even want to start one anymore, thanks to all the rude comments on here. (And yes, some were rude, and no they were not with the intention to help, they were with the intention to shoot someone down.)

Forget it, this thread can just end now.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    i am pretty good at speadsheets if you're looking for someone to keep track of the weekly weigh-ins and the progress towards their goals.
    :huh: I thought this was a really nice gesture.. it didn't come across as rude to me at all.
    My intention of my post was not to sound like a dictator starting a group.

I'm glad you clarified that.