Anyone work steady nights?

I work in Emergency medicine and have for the last 11 years. I work nights in the Emergency Deparment and tend to pull 20-30 hours shifts sometimes. When I fill out my diary, it looks horrible because if you're up for 24 hours your body needs more than 1200 cal, so I'm over my number a lot according to the diary. I lift three days a week and hit the cardio about 3 days also, but it's tough when you're up for so long. I've never been overwieght generally, but after I had gyno surgery and the hormones put about 35 lbs on me, I ended up killing myself to lose it and have about 10 more to lose total . I lost most of it, just a bit to go, but the work hours are killing me. They aren't gonna change, so if anyone has advice for me, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
Nic

Replies

• phrn255
    phrn255 Posts: 39
    I work in Emergency medicine and have for the last 11 years. I work nights in the Emergency Deparment and tend to pull 20-30 hours shifts sometimes. When I fill out my diary, it looks horrible because if you're up for 24 hours your body needs more than 1200 cal, so I'm over my number a lot according to the diary. I lift three days a week and hit the cardio about 3 days also, but it's tough when you're up for so long. I've never been overwieght generally, but after I had gyno surgery and the hormones put about 35 lbs on me, I ended up killing myself to lose it and have about 10 more to lose total . I lost most of it, just a bit to go, but the work hours are killing me. They aren't gonna change, so if anyone has advice for me, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks,
    Nic
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Toughie. I wish I could do more than just to welcome you to the site. =( Your dedication to helping those in need is exemplary. And it is basically at the expense of your own body, when you think about it. Saint-hood looms? :)