Traveling & Your Eating Plan

Options
Hey all,

I am heading to visit my sister this weekend in Fallon, NV. I have anxiety about this because she's not a healthy minded person. Her idea of healthy food is a salad at McDonalds... ugh.. I am taking my protein powders and bars - but can't imagine buying a bunch of food to take and packing it on a carryon... what do folks do when you are following a meal plan and need to travel?

I am printing a few workout plans that I can do in the living room - from BenderFitness.com and will plan on running while everyone sleeps in...

Any advise?

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Family is always tough when you've got health goals to achieve, I know the feeling!

All I can say is what do you want badly enough? A lot of people will pack their own food or decide to cook their own meals. You can always help them to rest assure that it has "nothing to do with them" but you've got a major goal you want to accomplish so you'd prefer they relax when it comes to feeding you and that you'll feed yourself! You never know if you'll inspire them to want to eat healthy!

The other option is just to do your best. If they eat out at McDonald's a lot, order the best option you can, portion control and DON'T skip your workouts! They just might help you to maintain your weight instead of gaining!

My family is now quite aware that I don't eat the same as they do and my Mom tries her best. Sometimes I indulge a little but I always make sure to not OVERindulge and oftentimes I'll offer to make THEM dinner (or at least a dish) and I make it a healthy dish and tend to eat more of that than anything else.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Find the nearest supermarket. You can offer to cook or at least just stock some healthy stuff for you. Are you doing any sightseeing? In North Caroline, we found a lighthouse. It proved to be a great workout to walk the steps to the top. Even just walking a museum or even shopping mall will keep you moving and burning calories. Remember you are there to visit your sister :-)and enjoy her company. Have fun :-)