What the heck? I <3 weight training (progress pics)

Options
I've been up and down the scale for so long it hurts to even recap the repeated failed attempts. In a nutshell, I've spent the last several years damaging myself with whatever methods I could find to lose weight quickly. My 'fail safe' was always Medifast, which for those who don't know, is a meal replacement program that gives you 800-1000 calories a day, and restricts your workout routine to a max of 45 minutes/day and no eating back workout calories.

Imagine my surprise when I geared up to do yet another round of this protocol, complete with 'before pics' and measurements, only to see that after the initial loss the first week, nothing else happened. The weight loss didn't continue, the inches didn't budge. I had fallen victim to my own attempts at quick weight loss....living by what the scale had to say to me on a daily basis. After Medifasting for 2 months, I finally said to heck with this. I ramped up my calories gradually over time and by the time I was at about 1500 calories a day, I hired a trainer and nutritionist who further guided me. That was about 3 weeks ago.

I'm now eating around 1800 calories a day and lifting 4x/week. I believe after week 4 my calories and exercise are going to be adjusted upwards further. I no longer weigh in every single day to get my daily dose of happy (or kick in the face, depending on what the scale said). Instead, I've been relying on my clothes to tell me what's going on with my body. Jeans I couldn't zip 3 weeks ago now fit perfectly.

Take a look at what 3 weeks of lifting and not starving myself have done to my shape. Yes, it's only 5# down, but I'm just floored at the difference. Yes, I have a loooong way to go, but I'm not sprinting this time, and I look forward to what the next couple of years have in store for me, especially if this is what just 3 weeks gives me. (Note: The 'before' pics and measurements were done July 30, the new pics/measurements yesterday. My measurements were the same 3 weeks ago as they were in my July pics, which is why I didn't take new 'befores' :) )

EatMoreLookWeighLess-3weeksin-frontcomparisonweb_zpscd1d6784.jpg

EatMoreLookWeighLess-3weeksin-sidecomparisonweb_zps62f7d1d7.jpg

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! Keep up the great work. :flowerforyou:
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Amazing progress. I was previously deep into weight training, took WAY TOO LONG off, tried to get back on the wagon with low-cal and cardio, and am just FINALLY getting back into lifting.

Obviously you are improving so quickly, and it's evident in your stomach -- but I have to say my favourite part is the muscle defitnition I can see on your leg in the side "after" photo.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    :) Thank you! And thanks for the leg comment. I noticed it too and was like hey wow! But didn't think anyone else would notice that, LOL Yay!

edit to add: finally got the pics resized. if only resizing our bodies only took 5 minutes, LOL
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Holy freakin cow!! What a difference three weeks and 5#s can make. That's just crazy, well done! :noway:
  • mazari
    mazari Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Brilliant you look great after 3 weeks!! Amazing I have just started this week can I ask what weight you started with
    & what weight you are on now??

Fab job well done
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Incredible progress! Keep up the great work. This is why I love lifting heavy things!!
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    Thanks guys :)

Mazari- I started at 216 and I'm currently at 211. I'm 5'11" and started in a *tight* size 14. Rockin' size 12 now, comfortably. Which is nuts. Previous weight loss plans had me losing a size every 10 pounds, not every 5 :D Yay for muscle!
  • FitNurseLex
    FitNurseLex Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great progress!!!
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Great googly moogly, that is unreal, congratulations!

*note to self: start picking up heavy stuff*
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Great job! Looking awesome!
  • xmccalla
    xmccalla Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!! You look great!
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    oh wow!!!! you just made me see the great side of weight training!!! you look amazing!!
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Amazing results!!

I started lifting about 2.5 weeks ago too, although only 3x per week...and I've already lost and inch from my hips and an inch from my waist! It's like finding this 'cheat' that you're sure that someone is going to call you out on soon...
  • mazari
    mazari Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Can I ask girls when you first started what weight were your dumbbells?? Also did you up your weight weekly or each time at first
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!! I have to remind myself of the scale ...I'm doing p90x and while the scale slows down from time to time I have to say they inches are falling !!! I'm loving the strength training ;) congrats on your results ..I'm baffled !
  • Marsidote
    Marsidote Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm going to lift... right now! lol Awesome results! I can't wait to start a weight program!
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    Thanks so much guys :) I'm still floored. My trainer told me 'stay off the scale', so I have. He also told me to take pics maybe once a month to get progress so I figured what the hey.... Best part about this is, I get to eat from all the food groups so I never feel deprived, and once a week, I can have a 'fun meal', which means I don't have to worry about hitting my macros but I don't gorge til I puke, nor do I even have the desire to do so. It's more like, hey, I miss Chipotle, or pizza, or whatever.

As far as weights and stuff..... I honestly don't know the specifics. What I know is that I'm getting better and don't have to have the workouts modified for me anymore. I do weight lifting circuit classes in a small group. Three weeks ago, I was having to use those color coded body toning bars, for instance, but now I can use actual barbells with weights. Another example is that I used to not be able to do box jumps. That was embarrassing three weeks ago. Everyone else in class was doing box jump squats, and all he had me doing was stepping up onto the box and back down. Last night I did 30 box jumps, and the last 10 had squats on the dismount, so...WOW!

So to answer the question about upping weight weekly or each time, for me and my situation, I've been upping the weights each time, because every time I step foot in the gym, I'm stronger than I was the last time. THAT'S freakin MOTIVATION for going as much as I can. And to think, a few weeks ago I was posting that I was so intimidated and dreading going, and now, even tho I'm still the chubby girl in class, I'm strong and working it just like everyone else! :)
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    WOW!! 3 weeks? My husband wants to join a gym. I keep poo pooing the idea because the winter is coming and I hate going out at night.......HOWEVER........I can't wait till he gets home tonight to discuss this with him.

Great job!!!!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    What amazing results in such a short time! Way to go!
  • CeleryStalker
    Options
    I showed my trainer these pics tonight and he was blown away. He's used to training REALLY fit people. Figure competition people, stuff like that. It was super intimidating to take my first step into a group class at his gym a few weeks ago, but I'm so glad I did. He's so astounded, he asked if he could share my pics on his facebook page. While I know I'm far from done, it feels good to look at where I was and where I am already. Daydreaming of the coming months. So super excited to finally be back on the horse. :)

For anyone looking at this thread and doubting yourself, stop with the negative banter and get out there and do it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!