Triathlons

Options
Has anyone done one?! I am going to train for a half iron man, and I am a bit terrified. As anyone gone form no experience to Half Iron in their first Tri?

Replies

• jeepyj93
    jeepyj93 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I have done 6 Sprints and train with others that have done full Ironman, one of our group wanted to train for an Ironman before ever doing a Tri and our trainer highly recommended doing at least an Olympic first.
    I would suggest train for the half but try to get in a Tri earlier just to get used to the three sports in one day.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    No. But there's no reason you couldn't. It would take lots of base work, then the right mindset come race day. Is there a reason you aren't/won't do at least 1 shorter race first to get a feel for things?

• running4h2o
    Options
    I've done a couple sprint tris and I know you can do it. If you aren't a good swimmer make sure you get a lot of pool time. I just learned this year. It's tough at first but it'll be what you improve in the fastest. Invest a lot of time into it.

Good luck!
  • Im4gin3th4t
    Im4gin3th4t Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done one?! I am going to train for a half iron man, and I am a bit terrified. As anyone gone form no experience to Half Iron in their first Tri?

I just finished a half ironman in Austin two weekends ago. I did 2 sprints and 1 olympic this summer prior to my half and I'd highly suggest doing at least one other tri of any distance beforehand. Not necessarily to make sure you have the fitness levels (because if you do the training you will have them) but to prepare you for how transitions work as well as many other things. Triathlons can be very detailed and you'd probably enjoy your half IM more if you do a test race first!

Also check out beginnertriathlete.com its a great source! and if you have questions you can always PM me :)
  • anitamiron
    anitamiron Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oh I am def doing a shorter one first. I just want to train for a half and do an olympic before hand!
  • VaTechM3
    Options
    I completed a sprint tri over the summer and had a blast doing it. Set some really good times in all of my sections of what I was putting down for "training" which I kind of slacked on unfortunately...

I would definitely recommend them to anyone, but I'd get into a short easy one that is like pool swimming instead of open water just to figure out what happens during transitions, the general flow of the tri and the people there, and really just acclimate yourself to the sport.

I'm certainly going to look for another tri to run, but I haven't figured out what distances yet. I liked the format of the sprint tri, but it would be interesting to really push myself on an enduro type format. I liked not really having to worry about nutrition while on the course.

Pick one and go for it, they're a blast!
  • KB5711
    KB5711 Posts: 21
    Options
    I've done a few sprints and love love love them! I second the swimming training though! Just make sure you're prepared especially if it's an open water swim. I trained in a pool and then went once or twice in the lake beforehand just to get used to it because lake swimming is so much different than a pool (choppy, murky, no bottom pool line to follow). They're so much fun though! Good luck to you!!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Oh I am def doing a shorter one first. I just want to train for a half and do an olympic before hand!

With that said, this confuses me:
    As anyone gone form no experience to Half Iron in their first Tri?

What exactly are you looking for? Tips on training for a half?