Opinion?

Options
I'm on a goal to lose weight. And wihle I've gotten off to a rocky start... But an aquantince of mine sent me an e-mail about this Acai Berry?

I was just wondering if anyone here had any opinions on it? I don't normally consider supplements, because there's no way of guaranteeing the safety of it... but I didn't know if this Acai berry stuff was worth considering?

Just looking for opinions/guidance on the issue!

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have it sometimes in a juice but do not rely on it and it's touted "miracle" benefits. Here is the Wikipedia on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Açaí_palm
  • nikki91950
    nikki91950 Posts: 647
    Options
    Hi Dave. I've heard a lot of different things about the acai berry products over the past few years. I've even been tempted a few times to try some out for myself, but I am very frugal with money and hate for my hard earned dollars to be wasted, so I've never bothered to actually try any of it. I haven't heard too much either way about if it really works because I don't know of anybody that's used it themselves...probably another reason for me not trying it. Personally, it sounds like to me that you're here for a quick fix if you've considered trying something like this, and if that's the case, then I'd say go for it. But if you're here to lose your extra weight and keep it off for good, I wouldn't bother with those ridiculous weight loss products. You will learn so much more from doing this the hard way, just like the rest of us have been doing. The only thing those supplements will teach you is how to cheat the system and get a quick fix. Honestly, if you're going to spend your money on something, spend it on Weight Watchers or one of those popular exercise programs.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    I've heard a lot of people say it's just a rip-off. You sign up for the free-trial but have to give your credit card details, and the company debit your account forever more. I've never tried it before so I can't give you a first-hand account, but I would say don't waste your money!

The one 'diet pill' that I tried that SEEMED to work (I see 'seemed' as maybe I would've lost weight anyway) was called 'Phase 2'. It's a carbohydrate blocker. I went on an all-inclusive 2 week holiday recently and still managed to lose 2lbs.

Maybe it was the diet pills, maybe it wasn't. We'll never know!

I've tried countless 'miracle' weightloss pills/potions/diets etc. but most of them have been empty promises. The diets that worked didn't teach me how to keep the weight off (the hardest part!). Now, I've lost a lot of weight - the end is in sight - and I've done that by controlling my food intake and exercising regularly. I also feel MENTALLY equipped to keep it off because I've lost the 'all or nothing' attitude that made me lose and gain countless times in the past.
  • Keltinator
    Keltinator Posts: 265
    Options
    It's all up to you whether you use it or not. It's your body.

But wouldn't you rather do this in a sustainable fashion? You don't plan to buy that stuff for the rest of your life, right? So why not just rely on good nutrition and exercise and let your body do its thing?

That's my opinion. Lose the weight in a way that you can keep up for the rest of your life, not just for the next month, or year...
  • Dave91
    Dave91 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Ultimately, I want to lose the weight and be able to keep it off. But, it seem that sometimes these ads for these things are really lucrative. :\