Cravings

Options
So I am at work, came back from lunch. I had went to Arby's with a co-worker, had a salad and a glass of water, now what?! I am having some serious cravings, not sure what for. Here's my question, what do you do or have you done to get rid of a cravy or sweet or salty or junky things?

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    More water, string cheese, banana, hardboiled eggs, fiber one bar. These are my go to's for when I get the craving for snacks in the afternoons. Keep your desk/fridge stocked with some quick healthy snacks so you don't run to the vending machine.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    certain foods work for certain people. my cravings revolved around peanut butter (in the evenings in particular). I purchased a peanut butter substitute called Peanut Flour-Protein Plus. 1/4 a cup=110 calories. I mix it with some water and make a paste and eat it with a spoon...so high in protein and fiber...it really fills me up. it is my "go to" food for cravings. not saying that is your fix, but for me I can basically stop any craving with that.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Probably not the best help...but I eat it. I then fit my day around it normally but if I am craving something, either my body needs something in it, or it wont leave my mind till I do. Example 2 Sunday's ago I was craving meat...a lot of meat, nothing would do till I got a double burger at Wendy's...so ..so... bad 820 calories at once. I did hit my calorie goal for the day and before protein powder it was the only time I hit my protein macro. I did not regret it except that it didn't sit right in my belly.
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting . . . . chocolate. I never want chocolate but that's what's happening. I have heard somewhere before that if you eat an orange it will rid a person of any cravings. Any success or failure with the theory?
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have massive chocolate cravings after lunch too. Have you ever taken "Zicam" its a zinc tablet that you take if you feel like you are starting to come down with something. Yesterday, I was within inches of the vending machine and I just popped one of those in my mouth. Thing about them is, they make everything you eat afterwards (for like 6 hours) taste awful. I'm not a depriver, in fact, yesterday evening I had a cookie ice cream sandwich after dinner, but I found it kind of works to get you through the cravings!
  • roxayinc
    Options
    happen to have cravings ( general cravings, not for something in particular) during ovulation and right before my period. I typically have a bowl of pasta with no dressing and no sauce and I allow this from time to time, now that I am close to my goal..
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat the thing I crave, just a bit of it. Or I find a healthier alternative (like a chocolate protein bar instead of a chocolate candy bar).

I think the key is finding healthier foods that you absolutely love. There's a few Greek yogurt flavors that I love, some protein bars that I love, some frozen Greek yogurt that I love... If I want something salty, beef jerky is awesome. It's often enough for my cravings.
  • DaniNicole321
    Options
    This won't work for everyone but sometimes I have one of whatever it is that I'm craving. Like I was dying for cheez-its the other night so I literally ate one and I was over it. But that also meant I got one out of the box and put the rest away so I didn't eat the whole box.
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't usually crave much of anything, so I'm not very helpful, but I have had my moments. When I want something sweet, I think of the most delicious fruit and, even if I don't have it, I will go to the store to get it. I don't like baked goods much so this alternate method works for me, but if you're craving something like a cupcake, I don't think a kiwi will satisfy you! ;) So you can have just a little of it, or find a way to make it with something more healthy. Substitute Splenda for sugar, see if you can find a low-carb version, etc etc.

As far as chocolate, if you have a small amount of dark chocolate, that's perfectly within a healthy diet. Plus, antioxidants and it helps lower stress. Some people like light yogurt or sugar free gum for those sweet cravings, too. Good luck, silly!
  • lebbyloses
    lebbyloses Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If I crave a specific thing, I either have it or make a plan to have it soon (so I can make it fit my calories). But I sometimes get cravings for...something. Like there's some perfect food that my body and soul long for, but I don't know what it is. And no, it's not hunger. I'm not sure how to handle that. I mostly end up rejecting perfectly good food options and getting hungry and frustrated while trying to come up with something that will do for my picky picky brain.

If I am just feeling snacky, I have some seaweed.
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If you are craving sugar & chocolate, you are lacking magnesium. If you increase your leafy greens &/or black beans, you're cravings will reduce. :)

Add me if you'd like. :)
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Hmm-- if you're restricting yourself to foods that don't fill you up, you make your weight loss unnecessarily difficult, imho.

Do you cook and bring food with you to work? If I'm eating lean meats and vegetables, I have to eat a ton of food just to reach maintenance. Keep plenty of fruit around, drink all the tea you like, and stock your environment with foods you can eat to heart's content, and you don't have to deal with cravings at all.

I make these eggwhite muffin things in muffin tins-- onions, peppers, eggwhites, a little parmesan on top... and garlic salsa to dip them into... you'll get full from three or four of those, and it's nothing but protein and vegetables. That's just an example, of course-- there are ton of easy foods you can make that won't easily shoot you over your calorie goals.
  • So I am at work, came back from lunch. I had went to Arby's with a co-worker, had a salad and a glass of water, now what?! I am having some serious cravings, not sure what for. Here's my question, what do you do or have you done to get rid of a cravy or sweet or salty or junky things?

If you are HAVING CRAVINGS YOU ARE NOT EATING ENOUGH ? WTH ? YES YOU ARE NOT EATING ENOUGH AND NOT EATING THE RIGHT THINGS ! A DIET IS NOTHING MAGICIAL ! I EAT 3000 CALORIES A DAY AND MY GOAL IS A HEALTHY ONE TO LOOSE FAT NOT WEIGHT !

IF YOU DO NOT EAT ENOUGH PORTEIN YOU WILL LOOSE MUSCLE AND YOU MAY LOOSE WEIGHT BUT YOU WILL STILL BE FAT ? SO START THE DAY WITH A WHOPPING 700 CALORIE 25 GR OF CARBS 75 GRS OF PROTEIN AND 15 GRS OF FAT YOU WILL PROBABLY GET THE FAT IN WITH THE CARBS AND PROTEIN WITH OUT EVEN TRYING AND DO NOT EAT WHOLE EGGS ; WHITES ONLY ! EACH MEAL FOR THE REST OF THE DAY SHOULD BE SMALLER AND FEW IF ANY CARBS DRINK A GAL OF WATER AND EAT EVERY 3 HOURS BY THE TIME THE 5TH MEAL ROLLS AROUND YOU WILL HAVE HAD NO CRAVINGS AND HAVE TO FORCE YOURSELF TO EAT ?

Sounds crazy I am 54 and train with weight an hour or a little more every day high intensity to the point of being out of breath ! The amout of weight you use is not important as long as you do not injury or pull a muscle ; better to use light weight than heavy weight I have as of late started riding a MTB 20 miles a day and had to up my carb slightly which means a melon or a Yougart NEVER EAT CHEESE! ! NO DAIRY PRODUCTS and peanut butter is not your enemy in moderation it has more protein than bad fat :)

My goal is to be healthy and loose fat to just have a goal of loosing weight is not healthy ! Have your Blood work done and proper panels for male or female and learn how to read them ! Most Dr. do not even know what all the readings mean for a balanced endo systenm they just want to prescribe meds to treat an issue / symptom and not fix the root of the problem !

So if I am 54 and can loose 60 lbs in a year and gain about 20 lbs of muscle my body shape is so notoceable that some people do not even reconize me and I am told I look 10 to 15 years younger ! The sponsor of this site will tell you the same thing as I have lowtestosterone.com and they are real experts and very fair priced and a lot more bennificial than any weight loose program you may join because their goal os not weight loose it is a healthy you and you will loose fat which should be the goal of everyone In my avatar I think I look almost skinny and my Dr told me I was obese ? 220 lbs and 6 ft he did not take into account my BMI or BF% I see on here where ppl post 12% BF and I see their pics and say BS if you are 12& BF you will not have an extra chin and no poofy cheeks and should see atleast 4 flexors in the ab area !

So Take note lost 60 lbs of fat / gained about 20 lbs of lean muscle / 3000 calories a day of 75% protein and low fat with 15% carbs / exercise and become addicted to the endorfins ! I was 266 lbs and fat when I started wore a 40 in waist docker pants now wear a 34 or 33 waist docker and love em and life and I want to share that to loose weight you have to eat ! Eat until you have to force yourself to eat and every 3 hours / eat smart food and love life ! ! ! ! ! ! !