TDEE second opinion.

Options
So I feel like this is a pretty generic post re: calorie count and TDEE, but it's been bugging me for a while, and I need a second opinion.

I'm 5'7", around 135 llbs (no scale!!) and looking to lose maybe another 5, but I'd be perfectly happy to just tone up the flab.

I started on MFP at 1200 a day, but eating back all exercise calories (probably ended up eating 1500-1600 ish). That worked for a while, but I was doing p90x (albeit slightly modified) but I was burning out.

I've decided to try eating at TDEE. The scooby calculator sets me at 1800 a day for 3-5 days a week exercise for my stats. With doing P90x I probably could've plugged it in at 6 days a week, but I can't always measure exact portions, and I'm living abroad so i'm sometimes eating foreign foods.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I'm really happy with the progress I've made so far, and I just really don't want to hurt it.

Thanks!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Scooby overestimates exercise a bit I think... so you're definitely not more than moderate, especially if you don't walk/move much apart from P90x. And if you mostly want to do a body recomposition at this point, I'd honestly eat at a 10% deficit, if that.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    So I feel like this is a pretty generic post re: calorie count and TDEE, but it's been bugging me for a while, and I need a second opinion.

I'm 5'7", around 135 llbs (no scale!!) and looking to lose maybe another 5, but I'd be perfectly happy to just tone up the flab.

I started on MFP at 1200 a day, but eating back all exercise calories (probably ended up eating 1500-1600 ish). That worked for a while, but I was doing p90x (albeit slightly modified) but I was burning out.

I've decided to try eating at TDEE. The scooby calculator sets me at 1800 a day for 3-5 days a week exercise for my stats. With doing P90x I probably could've plugged it in at 6 days a week, but I can't always measure exact portions, and I'm living abroad so i'm sometimes eating foreign foods.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I'm really happy with the progress I've made so far, and I just really don't want to hurt it.

Thanks!

I am 5'3". I Maintain at 1500 plus exercise.
    If you figured the p90x into your TDEE, you don't want to eat back those calories.
    If you don't end up exercising, you will be eating too many calories though.
    I like to err on the side of caution. I would go with the TDEE without the P90x and add the exercise in as I do it.

And maybe throw in some Toning classes to add variety.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If you think you'd be perfectly happy just to tone up the flab, then why not just do that - focus on inches rather than on the scale? (the imaginary scale, since you don't have one :laugh:) Strength training would probably make your body look just the way you want, without having to be in a calorie defecit.