I'm new and I need extreme motivation.

Options
Hey everyone, My name is Courtney.

At my highest weight I was 242lbs. A couple of years ago, I lost 60 pounds. The more weight I lost, the more skinnier I wanted to be. Even at my lowest, 185-190lbs, I still thought I wasn't good enough.

I honestly have no real support in my family and they just tell me how fat I am or how I'm gaining weight all the time. I have gained back almost 100% of my weight and I am really disappointed in myself and how I let myself go again...

Looking back at pictures, I can see how happy I am and how great I actually look. Unfortunately, food is a comfort for me as it is to a lot of people...That is basically all I think about is food and I get so excited just to eat. It's ridiculous.

I originally started losing weight when I lost my aunt from cancer in 2011. She was one of the closest people to me and I was devastated when she past.I was determined to get healthy and I also got very depressed. I go to a therapist and the only thing she tells me to do is to cut carbs out of my life. It's really hard for me to do, as I'm sure it is for everyone.

I just need to change my lifestyle once and for all. I have no motivation to go to the gym and it just bores me.

I need some real motivation and I'm hoping that by joining here I could possibly get the support that I really need.

Hope to hear from some of you.

How do you get the motivation to do it? And I have no clue what I'm supposed to be eating.

Replies

• emmyles
    Options
    Please feel free to add me as a friend!
    I know about the comforts of food! This isn't my first time losing weight but I pray this is my final time.
  • Yodifer
    Options
    HI there! I can totally relate to finding yourself right back where you started. It is the suckiest of feelings to think about starting over AGAIN but the good news whether or not you start again time will pass. Eventually it will be 6 months from now....what do you want to do with that 6 months?

Have you figured out your calorie allowance to lose weight and what type of exercise routine are you thinking about doing?

I am 5'2. i started at 186, got down to 139...and shot back up to 164. UGH. I am now holding steady at 151 but hoping to at least get to my 139 again before christmas.

I keep telling myself, Christmas will come no matter what I do for the next 7 weeks. I want to make them count. Right now I am eating 1400 calories a day and doing Insanity 3 days a week.

I too LOVE food and it is very difficult some days to stay on track.

I am going to add you.
  • caligirleatswell
    caligirleatswell Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Courtney! I just recently have gotten into the message boards, but I log on everyday on my phone and my diary is open to friends if you need meal ideas. I'd love to be friends and motivate each other through this!
  • DaniellaB1995
    DaniellaB1995 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome!
    First off, well done for what you've already done, joining here is the first step :)
    Also, don't think you have to cut carbs out, that's actually a pretty unhealthy thing to do if you don't know exactly what you're doing. Maybe cut back on the carbs if you feel that's one of your main sources of weight gain - do you often have large pasta dishes? Just try cutting them down a bit.

LOADS of people on here hate the gym too, you're not the only one :) For me it was really just finding something I actually ENJOY doing, so it's not "ugh gotta go exercise" it's more "i think i'll go do some yoga/running/whatever".
    Try some different exercises, until you find something you enjoy. Don't be afraid to mix it up!

Spend the first week on here just eating how you do now, and when you log everything you will see what is in the food you eat, how many calories, fat, protein, etc. Then identify areas you could improve on. Don't be shy here, so many people have been in the same boat as you and will be happy to help.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want :)
  • PaulaCribben
    PaulaCribben Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, Courtney!!

I myself put on about 25 pounds over the summer and frankly, didn't know what else this time around to do differently to get the weight off... honestly, I have never experienced a program that keeps me SO on track like MFP.... between this and walking, I am about half way there... you can do it.... this makes it so simple.... you definitely have my support!!! As for what you should be eating, this program is pretty fool proof since it tells you how much of what you can have every day... I don't restrict myself as long as I still fall within the confines of what the program is telling me I can start with and telling me at the end of the day what I have left. I do 1000 calories a day, and am never hungry. Don't let anyone throwing negative energy at you get you down.... the folks on this site (although I have never posted anything) are incredibly supportive and are behind you every step of the way.... me, too!!
  • kopcych13
    Options
    Hi, I was exactly where you are now about 6 months ago. I spent most of the day thinking about I would eat next. I hated it, but thats how it was. The major motivator for me is Tumblr fitness blogs aka "fitblrs". It has so many inspiring blogs and people. I highly recomend funeralformyfat also beforeandafterfatlosspics. From there you can find bunches of inspiring stories and people to check out for that motivation to get up and work out. I haven't stop binging like I used to. It happens more than I'm proud of, but If I cant fight the cravings I try to eat something low cal, like fruits, veggies, low cal sweet potatoe chips. But, hey I've also binged on chocolate. You just cant let it kill you. Dont skip meals, or let it ruin your day. You're human. We all sucumb to craving at some point. Anyway, Yeah Tumblr is a great place to check out, also Skinny Taste and Budget Bytes are both good recipe websites that provide relatively cheap and healthy recipes:) Have a good day:)
  • Dockbob
    Dockbob Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Greetings Courtney

I'm doc - not an MD - just doc

I will do what I can to encourage you in your choice to be healthy and lose some weight as a result.

I am full of motivation among other things. Let me know if I can assist you in any way

Semper Fi d2
  • Juliepluto
    Juliepluto Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Courtney,
    nice to hear that we are the same weight and that I have only just joined as well. I have found fitness pal a great help as I can monitor everything I am eating and it motivates me to see what how much weight I could lose if I just keep up the hard work.

Some tips for you:
    If you are not doing exercise do not go over 1200 calories a day
    If you are doing exercise don't go over 1500 calories a day
    Reduce your portion sizes

Exercise tips
    Try fitness classes, I burnt 1178 calories yesterday from doing fitness classes and I had a great time doing them, there was 40 people doing one of my classes and I felt I was a part of a team rather than trying yo do it all on my own.

I am with you, I hate the gym which us why I do fitness classes like body attack, body pump, yoga, Pilates, step aerobics, swimming, spinning.

Add me as a friend if you want to diet together, I lost 4 pounds in 4 days!!

Julie
  • CPlempel1013
    Options
    I have no idea what I'm going to start doing! lol but my tracker says I can have 1700 calories. When I lost my weight before I was trying to eat 1500 calories and I was starving myself. It was just not enough to feed me. I was getting dizzy and everything...I just hope the 1700 is enough...
  • Juliepluto
    Juliepluto Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am sure 1700 will be enough for you, you have to do what makes you feel comfortable and safe. You can always reduce your calorie intake in a few weeks time if you wanted too.

Do you have a gym near to you that does fitness classes?