workouts per week?

Options
So how many times a week does everyone workout? I go for 5-6 times a week, so counting the occasional double day. I alternate cardio and weight training, but should I go for that 7th day? I always thought it was too much to do 7 days a week, but I also thought to starve myself too :wink:
Just curious what works for everyone else!

Replies

• dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I suggest doing something different and fun on the 7th day. Maybe a hike or bike ride, put on some music and try C&W line dancing, yoga or anything fun. I have a schedule that works pretty well for me now; exercise bike 2X weekly, strength exercises & stability ball 2X weekly, step aerobics DVD 1X weekly. I also try to get to the pool 1X weekly and frequently do yard or housework on the weekends. I took a yoga class 1X weekly over the summer but that is over now. Also, I walk the dog AM & PM every day, totaling 60-90+ minutes depending on the weather.
  • krazie4u247
    krazie4u247 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My goals are to work out 5 to 6 times a week. This week I worked out every day but Friday. I was going to work out Friday but my trainer told me that my body needs rest so I took that day off. I think that if you workout on the 7th day, either do something fun or very low impact. You do want to take time for your body to recover.

What type of strength training/lifting do you do? I have been so scared to lift weights because I didn't want to be laughed at by people but I lifted for the first time by myself on Tuesday. I was so proud of me :).
  • acstein
    acstein Posts: 55
    Options
    i workout 5 days a week, work in the yard day 6 and take day 7 off. It's always a good idea to leave some room for recovery and rest. Your body needs it and it will love you for it. Keep up the motivation!!!
  • acstein
    acstein Posts: 55
    Options
    My goals are to work out 5 to 6 times a week. This week I worked out every day but Friday. I was going to work out Friday but my trainer told me that my body needs rest so I took that day off. I think that if you workout on the 7th day, either do something fun or very low impact. You do want to take time for your body to recover.

What type of strength training/lifting do you do? I have been so scared to lift weights because I didn't want to be laughed at by people but I lifted for the first time by myself on Tuesday. I was so proud of me :).

Try not to let what other people think bother you. I know that's easier said than done. check out my blog, you can friend me if you need to, as I put up my routines usually. You could also check out the exercise section on www.sparkpeople.com. it has pics of what each exercise is. Also, just watching other people do it will give you a good basis to start off with. but the basics are" bench press, cable row, squat, lunge, calf raises"
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I started out working out only 5-6 days a week, but I've come to the point that I have to exercise every day (I never thought I would be one of those people) or I start going stir crazy, I feel like I just have to go burn off some energy. I try to do something light on the weekends because my chiropractor says I'm over doing it. Here is my schedule right now.

Mon-Thu Jazzercise class (includes aerobics/toning)
    Fri Walking
    Sat/Sun Walking, swimming or some type of outdoor activity
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    I try to ride bike 4 times a week (minimum of 30 miles each to maximum of 100 miles for one of the rides) during the riding season. Due to work and group rides it usually becomes 2 sets of back to back days.

During the off-season it's into the gym for spinning classes 3 times a week with yoga on fridays.

I'm 55 so recovery time is important. Also we do a lot of walking, lawn maintenance, things like that to say active and keep the calorie burn going. Little things can really add up like never taking an elevator or escalator if you can find the stairs.

To be fair though I should mention that I am on a maintenance (vice weight loss) regimen as I'm bouncing around my goal weight of 165.
  • hplvt
    hplvt Posts: 62
    Options
    That's awesome!! I was really lucky to have a friend who is a female body builder (!) She took me under her wing right after my sencond child was born and taught me about working out in the "back" of the gym with the free weights and where the big guys are. I love it, it's something me and my husband can do together ( he's one of those big guys :love: ) I would say get a trainer to work with you at first and make sure you not doing anything to hurt yourself. It's worth getting over the fear- I felt the same way!!
  • krazie4u247
    krazie4u247 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!! I was really lucky to have a friend who is a female body builder (!) She took me under her wing right after my sencond child was born and taught me about working out in the "back" of the gym with the free weights and where the big guys are. I love it, it's something me and my husband can do together ( he's one of those big guys :love: ) I would say get a trainer to work with you at first and make sure you not doing anything to hurt yourself. It's worth getting over the fear- I felt the same way!!

I do have a trainer that works out with me on Sunday with Strength training. I just don't like lifting and I get freaked out and scared. I guess if I had a big guy Husband or BF that wanted to lift with me it would be a lot easier. I am just supposed to do at least 1.5 hours a week of strength training alone according to my trainer. I did 20 minutes on Tuesday and no one really looked. I think I need to just workout at 5am because there is more open machines and less Men lifting!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    So how many times a week does everyone workout? I go for 5-6 times a week, so counting the occasional double day. I alternate cardio and weight training, but should I go for that 7th day? I always thought it was too much to do 7 days a week, but I also thought to starve myself too :wink:
    Just curious what works for everyone else!

I do 6 days a week, by the time day 7 rolls around my body is usually begging for a rest day. We'll probably go for a walk, or a bike ride as the heat has broken. But nothing too hard.
  • pegsue50
    pegsue50 Posts: 13
    Options
    good for u how did u do it
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I started with 6 days but on the 7th day I seem to be too hungry for just the 1200 cals - so now I do 7. Once this MFP gives me a couple hundred more calories, I will go back to 6 and rest my body one day. When at goal I will probably do 3-4 days a week - we will see how that works!
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    I'm committed to 4 days a week of serious planned workouts (I run 3 days & lift for at least 2). Sometimes I do a lunch cardio (30ish minutes) & weights after work.

Anything beyond that is gravy. I definitely take 1-2 days off, my body needs the rest and doing so helps my muscles repair. Working out more just means my workouts are less intense & I don't like that.
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I do 7 days a week but I change things around on the day 7 to get my exercise but making it something I enjoy. God Bless, brenda
  • luvstolose
    Options
    I have been working out every day since I started my weightloss challange. I only live 9 blocks away from my local YMCA which I also work at so it is easy to get there to work out. I have not worked out for long periods of a time yet though it is usually about 45 mintues I want to build up to longer.

1665485.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods