Fitbit flex users! Need ur help!

Options
Hello!
Just wondering about Fitbit Flex, does it count the calories burned from working out like doing tae bo and such !
Or it just counts calories burned from the number of steps ?

How does it do the counting thing? By monitoring my heart rate?

Thanks for any help <3

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    How it counts is a mystery that only the Mayans knew but it does count regular exercise somehow. I am a quick bather and get a tiny burst of Very Active during my morning shower even :tongue:
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Yes as long as you are moving your arms it counts it. It totally fails at ellipticals though.
  • lailamtg
    lailamtg Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lol! I don't really understand why would I want to buy it when I can log my exercises here in mfp !
  • jdogsparky
    Options
    I was so mad about the elliptical. I worked my butt off today on it and I got nothing!!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Body media fit is more accurate than Fitbit or MFP.
  • JasmineOravec
    JasmineOravec Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Do the stairmaster or the stationary bike and it pretty much says your sleeping. No, really, I love mine & have been wearing it for months but there are still some kinks in the fitbit world. I don't even have mine synced with mfp since when I did, all my numbers seemed incorrect.
  • JasmineOravec
    JasmineOravec Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Aria scale is the bomb, though.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Anything Fitbit is just a fancy pedometer, just different ways of wearing it. It doesnt work on the elliptical because its low impact, meaning you dont create that shock through your body that you normally would when you step - and thus the Fitbit wont track it.

I love my Fitbit for tracking my steps and calories burned from steps throughout the day. But if you want to track exercise like weight lifting and anything that gets your heart rate up, then I suggest a heart rate monitor.
  • Holly102205
    Holly102205 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love my bodymedia fit band, but don't like the fact I have to pay $6.95 per month. It is a better band. I am contemplating purchasing either the Jawbone UP or the fitbit. Any suggestions.
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump (saving this post for when I get mine) Getting one for Christmas along with the Aria Scale. I've just recently bought a Polar FT4 to use as well since everything I've read leads me to believe the flex lacks in some of the cardio area.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I put my fitbit flex in my pocket when on the eliptical, its not totally accurate, however will log about 2/3d's the distance you travel.
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I would hang on for the fitbit force. Pretty much a combination of the flex and the fitbit one.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One and it tracks my elliptical use just fine. I mean, it doesn't get the mileage exactly right (the elliptical says I did two miles, the Fitbit calculates around 2500 steps in my 20 minutes ... gives me a calorie burn around 180, compared to 200 from the machine and 150 from a HRM ... they are all estimations, who knows which is right).

The Body Media does sound nice, but it seems SO bulky, wearing it on your arm, and the monthly fee totally turns me off. I have a HRM too which I wear sometimes, but it is a bit of a pain to put on (snapping the pieces together, putting on the watch, putting on the strap, turning it on ... and mine doesn't transmit wirelessly so I have to write down any data manually).

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Fitbit. I love seeing my activity in graph form ... so much more than just a pedometer, so much more of a picture than just manually tracking my workouts. I love having mine synced with MFP, they work together perfectly for me. I do have the Aria scale as well, and love that I don't have to remember my weight after each weigh-in, nor have to enter it manually. It DOES make my MFP ticker flip flop all over the place, but that can be motivating as well ... when I see the numbers going in the wrong direction.

I did a blog post about the Fitbit and it's features if anyone was interested.
    http://jenbsjourney.blogspot.com/2013/08/wondering-about-fitbit.html
  • iverne55
    Options
    I wrap my fitbit flex around the arm of the elliptical like if it was my wrist. it calculates everything correctly. try it
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    A bit off topic, but if you have an aria scale, or any wifi scale for that matter, you might want to check out www.trendweight.com. I find it to be a much truer version of your weight, as it calculates your weight loss trend, and can check actual fat loss. Best of all, it's free. I just concentrate on the trend weight it gives me, instead of the up and downs that the scale gives from day to day.