Gastric sleeve

Hello, I'm 27 yrs old and weigh 260. I've always struggled with being overweight my whole life. I'm scheduled for the gastric sleeve tomorrow and I'm so scared. I finally decided i had to do something when i tried getting on a ride attraction with my son and had to be told your to big for this ride sorry. I know this will be the best choice because its bettering my health. Any regrets and advice? I'm just so nervous and scared!

Replies

• Just remember that it has to be a mental change as well as a physical one. Make sure you make good choices afterwards, and take good care of yourself. Good luck, and best wishes for the surgery!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Good Luck, I had the lap band done last Nov 21 and to date I have lost 124 pounds. It is just a tool and you still have to work at it. I have found this web site to be the best. I log my food everyday and when i reach my calorie limit I am done for the day. The biggest thing I have found since the surgery is I have to slow down and eat slow. And remember it is a life style change not a diet. Best of luck and if I can help in any way just message me. Blessed Vicki
  • 559Alexis559
    559Alexis559 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you both very much. Im glad that I found this site and support.
  • KLFouty
    KLFouty Posts: 7 Member
    Hey Alexis! Did you have your procedure today? What made you decide to go with the gastric sleeve? I've recently thought about doing the lap band. My problem is I will do really well for a while and then get discouraged when not much weight comes off so I just figure "why bother"? I've decided that I am really going to do all I can for a month, see where I'm at and if I'm still having trouble, I will talk to my doctor about surgery.
  • Bubirn
    Bubirn Posts: 44 Member
    Hi my name is Gerri. I had the gastric sleeve done on 10/30/13. I lost 21 lbs prior to surgery and my goal is to lose a total of 130 lbs. I'm going for my post op visit on Friday and I'm so excited to see how it's going.
    Surgery was shockingly a breeze, post op nausea and vomiting were brutal. I have been feeling well since Friday and have been able to reach my protein and fluid goals. So excited to have milk in the morning.
  • Congratulations to everyone who made the choice to utilize this awesome tool! I was sleeved 3/26/2008. It is a tool and you must remember that at all time. I have lost 103 lbs and I am now working on the last approximately 50 lbs but most importantly I am working on continuing to eat healthy and developing a fit body. I would love to stay in contact with anyone who wants a cheerleader!
  • My mother had gastric bypass surgery in October 2009 and she was 313lbs and has lost 130lbs. She hasn't quite reached goal weight but she's never regretted her decision for a second. I decided in November 2011 to lose weight without weight loss surgery. I started at 329lbs, so far I've lost 107lbs. I've lost most of this weight using MFP and haven't regretted my decision for a second either. I'm going to keep going until goal weight.

Either way you need to deal with your food issues, and there will be challenges along the way. Both ways get results, it's just a matter of what you can commit to.

Best of luck OP, I hope your surgery went well today :)
  • toledochic
    toledochic Posts: 46 Member
    I hope your surgery went well. My name is Amber and I had the gastric sleeve 8 weeks ago tomorrow. I have lost 50 pounds so far. I started at 308 and I am down to 258. I did really well with the surgery although I did have a little pain with the drain afterwards. (not every doctor uses the drain however) Let us know how you are doing. Thanks!
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Many people on mfp are againt surgeries.
    because they belive you can do it on your own
    but good luck to you !!