Building a Home Gym

Options
Alright, fitness buffs! I need your creativity.

I'm pretty much in maintenance mode now and don't need to lose any more weight (maybe a couple lbs to prepare for Thanksgiving MMM) so I want to concentrate more on lifting. I should have done more sooner, but I really love running and have only done body weight exercises alternating with cardio. I can't do a pull-up and it's driving me crazy.

My question is this: if I am building my own home gym on a budget, what must-haves should I acquire for weight lifting/strength training? I have a big open basement that is dying for a gym.

Can you think of any ways I can build my own weights without having to go buy them? I'm cruising Craigslist for used ones, but any creative suggestions (milk jugs full of sand?? lol) are welcome. Thank you!

Replies

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Squat cage or a squat capable bench.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Barbell with weight plates, dumbbells, weight bench (incline and decline), squat rack

ETA: I also have a exercise ball, mat and jump rope.

Walmart on line has some good deals, that's where I got the majority of my stuff, except the squat rack working on getting that, Amazon has them for about $100.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I would still have one quality piece of cardio equipment (for inclement weather) that you can adjust the resistance on, so you are strengthening muscle while you work on your overall fitness. Lucky you to have a full basement to be able to start from.

I'd also have an open area with a mat for stretching, which you need to do whether you are lifting or doing cardio.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I got all my dumbbells, racks, and bench off of Craigslist for cheap. Got some cheap foam interlocking tile and put some cheap rubber mats over that to go under my bench. You should be able to get used dumbbells for $0.50 / lb or less. Adjustable ones are cheaper but less convenient. I went with the fixed hex dumbbells and love them.

Next piece of equipment will be a power rack so I can do some compound lifts at home. I'd also like to add a recumbent bike just so I could do cardio at home in crappy weather if I wanted to.

I'd check Craigslist and Play It Again Sports for deals on used equipment that's in good shape. You'll probably see a lot of nice equipment go up for sale after the New Year when everyone falls through on their resolution to lose 35 lbs in 3 weeks and sells all their newly purchased and barely used equipment.

You could get a piece of pipe and make a pull up bar for a doorway as well. Though the door mount ones are pretty cheap as it is.
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My in-laws gave me their stationary bike, which was awesome! I have a mat for yoga/stretching, an inflatable ball (but I am still figuring out what to do with it), and I bought a nice carpet remnant so that I can relatively comfortably roll around on the floor if I need to. Oh, plus a friend gave me a pull-up bar for a doorway, but I still can't get to the point where I can do a pull-up. BOO. My arms are weak!

Plus, I run outside even in the dark and rain. ;) Don't worry, I am super visible, stick to sidewalks, and have the necessary gear!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Get a good quality white board for the wall. And a wall clock with a second hand.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Bench, barbell, plates, and a squat rack. I got mine either from Craigslist or Amazon. I also have some dumbbells.
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    All good ideas! I wonder where I can get a big wall mirror for cheap. And that I can fit in my car without smashing it. ;) haha
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Home Depot has 12"x12" mirror tiles...buy a bunch and stick them on the wall
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Buy a step and do box jumps.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells, barbell, weight plates, bench, mats, and jump rope (great form of cardio, I do HIIT training with it). Since you want to work on pull ups I would suggest a pull up bar. You can get one and place it in your garage or you can purchase the ones that fit in your door.
  • AnaMre68
    AnaMre68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Home improvement stores often have a scratch and dent area, might be able to find something there
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

That thing did not look very stout where it shows the guy doing suspension training.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options

No way in hell do I trust that.

I've used PVC pipe before, I've got a good idea how strong it is. No way does it take my 120kg in it's stride, especially not when it's stretched out over a length like that, losing it's tensile strength.
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If you're new to strength training and don't have equipment, I would suggest starting with body weight exercises. Between push-ups, pull-ups, and squats, you hit just about everything. If you can't do a pull-up, do step-offs to get stronger. Use a chair or something to get to the top of the movement and step off, slowly lowering yourself to the extended position. You can also do static hangs to build strength.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    How handy are you or your SO?
    This guy shows how to make pretty much everything you need for a home gym by hand and for cheap.
    http://homemadestrength.blogspot.com
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    A set of Olympic weights, an adjustable bench, and a squat cage is all you really need. You can bench in the cage so you can set the safety rails so if you have to bail out, you don't need a spotter. Most cages have a chinup bar built in as well.

A horse stall mat or 2 on the floor is nice, gives good grip and protects your plates and floor from damage if you drop the bar doing deadlifts.

As others have said- don't buy new, look on craigslist or local classifieds, people are always selling weight gear. You might need to get the cage from an online place but they usually do free shipping.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I was about to comment but then saw danimalkeys response and I'd just be repeating it.

Focus on that first, then pick up the accessories.
  • mamagirl49
    mamagirl49 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    We're house shopping and keen on a place with space for a simple home gym. Appreciate these ideas!