Just walking...is it enough?

Options
If my only exercise is walking, say 40 minutes a day, is that going to be enough to consistently lose weight over time?
I have around 45kgs to lose. I can't afford joining a gym. I am not keen on running.
Thanks in advance! :happy:

Replies

• Beertroll
    Options
    Your diet is the key to weight loss. The walking will improve your overall fitness and give you a few extra calories to eat per day.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It's all about diet, and yes, if your goal is only weight loss, walking is enough!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    sure and what will probably happen as you get stronger how far you walk will increase and your pace will increase.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If walking helps you reach a calories deficit on a regular basis, yes.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Walking is all I have been doing. Along with the calorie deficit of course! :) I walk anywhere from 2-7 miles a day, depending on the day and it has worked for me. Of course along with the calorie deficit.....of course! :)
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am someone who HATES to exercise and walking works! I love to push myself (when I can carve out the time) to walk twice daily. Best of luck to you!
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've been mainly walking as my cardio - with a bit of stationary biking added in.

With a calorie deficit, of course.
  • stephicozar
    stephicozar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit and walking is all I do. I've lost 10kg in 8 weeks and have another 30kg to go. Walking will get easier and as you get fitter you will feel the need to try more, whether its some free weights (you can probably get some cheap or free off gumtree or similar, pilates or something else. But walking is great exercise.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said, walking is perfectly fine for exercise, but the main thing is a calorie deficit in your diet. It's very easy to eat more than you burn exercising. Stick to a healthy diet, stay in a deficit, and keep walking and the weight will come off.
  • mblewis13
    Options
    It absolutely worked for me, while maintaining a proper calorie intake. I use a pedometer (Fitbit) to make sure I walk at least 5 miles a day, which is at least 3 miles dedicated walking at a fast pace, the rest is just what happens naturally through the day. With the goal of 5 a day, I easily average about 8 miles a day just doing things different than I had before I cared to pay attention. For example, parking farther away in a parking lot, walking the stairs instead of elevator, etc. I lost 40 pounds in a couple months and have been able to maintain my weight easily with walking as my exercise. All the best to you!
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It worked for me to a point - walking is all I was doing til about four months ago, and I've been doing this for 15 months. But four months ago I decided to do Jillian Michaels' Six Week Six Pack abs dvd, and it's done wonders. I'm still losing weight from watching what I eat and walking, but I'm getting definition and a much better shape from the dvd. I have a waist, I can see abs forming when I suck my stomach in, lol (they weren't there before). When I get the rest of the fat burned off, I hope to have a decent shape underneath it.

I started at 262 with just the walking and didn't add the abs dvd til I was under 200. I think for straight weight loss, if that's your goal, it's fine. But iif youre really into how your shape is going to look, looking toned and sculpted, doing some kind of abs (or buns and thighs or whatever) workout is really, really helpful. I'm lighter cos of my weightloss, but I feel like I'm smaller overall due to the ab workouts.
  • rachaelkate456
    Options
    Thank you!
    I was hoping that I would build it to 60 minutes day, 6 days a week.
    I am making an effort to be more physically active during the day overall. Less sitting, more up and about and doing something.
    I also play Just Dance with my son every other day...as embarrassing as that is LOL
    Thanks again!!!!
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have lost 31 lbs so far, mostly from walking.

I started walking at the beginning of 2013, and bought a Fitbit One in May of this year, but I didn't lose any weight until I started tracking what I ate here at MFP.

Now that I am stronger, I am tackling more hills, going longer distances and doing some hiking. I am getting about 10K in steps and 15 flights of stairs/hills on most days.

The Fitbit syncs automatically so I know just how many extra calories I have earned from being active or taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator, etc etc. If I sound like I work for the company - I don't! It has just helped make a game out of getting more steps and stairs/hills each day. My husband recently got a Fitbit too because he was so inspired by my success (and improved attitude, lol)
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    I am making an effort to be more physically active during the day overall. Less sitting, more up and about and doing something.
    I also play Just Dance with my son every other day...as embarrassing as that is LOL
    Thanks again!!!!

I love Just Dance - and I just found out that you can rent Just Dance videos from Redbox! I'm excited! :-)
  • inthefullnessoftime
    Options
    Hi I've been walking since I began and have lost 15 KG. I do try to walk 75 minutes 4 days a week and make sure my eating habits are as accurate as possible and around the recommended weight loss guidelines for MFP
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    IMO, walking is the foundation of any fitness and fat loss program... so yes, keep walking!
  • Maccbow
    Maccbow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Just do it!! You may find that you (eventually) FALL IN LOVE WITH IT! You just don't know!! I used to barely be able to walk around 2 blocks. I built up more distance, gradually. Then, after that, I was able to gradually speed up! I got to a point where I RAN 3.4 miles!!! and... I LOVE IT!! If anyone had ever told me that I would love that..... lol.... ha! I'd NEVER believe them!!

Anyway, Dearie, just do your 40 minute walk, and be consistant. It helps you in every single way... even stuff you can't notice!!! You'll be happy you did!!! My best to you! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • rachaelkate456
    Options
    It worked for me to a point - walking is all I was doing til about four months ago, and I've been doing this for 15 months. But four months ago I decided to do Jillian Michaels' Six Week Six Pack abs dvd, and it's done wonders. I'm still losing weight from watching what I eat and walking, but I'm getting definition and a much better shape from the dvd. I have a waist, I can see abs forming when I suck my stomach in, lol (they weren't there before). When I get the rest of the fat burned off, I hope to have a decent shape underneath it.

I started at 262 with just the walking and didn't add the abs dvd til I was under 200. I think for straight weight loss, if that's your goal, it's fine. But iif youre really into how your shape is going to look, looking toned and sculpted, doing some kind of abs (or buns and thighs or whatever) workout is really, really helpful. I'm lighter cos of my weightloss, but I feel like I'm smaller overall due to the ab workouts.

I think I have given up on the abs :) .... two kids, both by emergency caesar....the tummy is a bit of a smoodgie mess. I was thinking further down the track factoring in some strength/resistance training but it would be at home or at the park. I do own the Nike Kinect Fitness 'game' but I can't even get through the fitness test at the moment. :grumble: I said I would try again in a month.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    Thanks again!!!!

no embarrassment - if it gets you up and moving its all good... even better that you spend time with your son!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I started by walking and watching what I eat.
    Now I do strength/resistance 3x a week and run 3x a week. LOVE it :happy:

Walking is an awesome place to start :smile: