Plateau in running

Options
2»

Replies

• cjcolorado
    cjcolorado Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I disagree about technique and Intervals. You are fairly new to running, and though intervals are a fine workout, until you get your aerobic fitness up, all the speedwork in the world will only give you marginal gains. I don't know how someone could possibly assess your technique over the internet. Sure your may be off, but that would more likely make your knees, feet, and hips hurt than slow you down at first. Fixing your arm position damn sure isn't going to drop 3 minutes off your mile as a beginner. Its something you worry about when trying to knock a few minutes off your marathon.

In order to run a faster 5k, train for a 10k. At your level, the thing that will give you better times is more miles, more miles, more miles. Increase you mileage by 10% each week. Throw in some strides at the end of each workout.

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/add-strides-your-next-run

Once you have a base built up, then you can worry about intervals, tempo runs, and other speedwork. i do agree that ditching the treadmill is a good idea, but mainly because treadmills are boring.

+1

You may want to throw in some strides here and there; but, work on building up stamina first. Try to be a bit more consistent with your running, as well. Once a week you'll barely be able to register gains. I will disagree about the treadmill work as I have to use one through much of our winter where I live; however, if you do use one, be sure to set it at a minimum 1% grade (or more) to more accurately resemble conditions you'd face outdoors. As a runner with over 20 years' experience, I find that they do have their place in training, under certain conditions (and they are far better than doing nothing at all).
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about speed for now. Just enjoy the running. You haven't 'plateaued', you're a really, really new runner.

Keep at it. You'll be gradually shaving almost imperceptible seconds off your run, as you progress. In a few months, you'll look back and realise you've actually sped up - but if you keep taking the temperature constantly all time time now, you'll just frustrate yourself.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'll reply to these all properly later, just letting you know I've read them all. Seems to be two main ideas - run for longer distances at a constant speed or start doing intervals more.

I'll probably try the first one initially as being able to run for a constant 30 minutes would be a good start.

There are two different ideas because they are both solutions to getting faster - the difference lies with experience basically. Intervals are the answer when you have a solid cardio base and running for awhile.
    When you are new, the answer is to build your base, then you move onto intervals.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I'll reply to these all properly later, just letting you know I've read them all. Seems to be two main ideas - run for longer distances at a constant speed or start doing intervals more.

I'll probably try the first one initially as being able to run for a constant 30 minutes would be a good start.

There are two different ideas because they are both solutions to getting faster - the difference lies with experience basically. Intervals are the answer when you have a solid cardio base and running for awhile.
    When you are new, the answer is to build your base, then you move onto intervals.

^^this. Intervals and other speedwork are what runners call 'sharpening' - but the base skills have to be there in order for you to sharpen them.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    So I've been running for about 9 weeks now. I try to run four times a week but sometimes only manage once, though I've not skipped any weeks totally. Over the first five weeks my pace per kilometre dropped from 10 minutes to 7 minutes, but over the last four weeks it has plateaued at ~7 min/km.

I run both treadmill and outside (roads and paths) for about 20-30 minutes a time. I can't yet run for the entire half-hour but on good days can hit 15 minutes without needing to walk.

Is this speed plateau to be expected? I want to hit 5k in half an hour. Should I run for longer, should I run till I hit 5k each time? Should I push my speed on the treadmill, where I can control it to the .1 of a km or outside where its up to my body? Any help or support would be much appreciated.
    If there is one thing that is definite concerning running, it is that you cannot continually improve day in day out indefinitely, it does not happen, if it did we would all be world record holders and be able to run for indefinite periods of time.

Run your fifteen minutes walk for a couple of minutes and then run for another five. On your next session, run for another six on the second bit etc etc etc. Build it up gradually and forget about time, worrying about time can become obsessive.

Running isn't a quick fix exercise that is for sure, the trick is to enjoy it regardless.
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Could anyone helpe out with running shoes... my feet burn when I run on the road with the so called running shoes?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Could anyone helpe out with running shoes... my feet burn when I run on the road with the so called running shoes?

Sounds like you bought your normal size in running shoes, i.e., too small. Go up half or one size. It allows for better ventilation throughout the shoe. And I will assume you aren't fitted either since a shoe fitting would have identified this. So do that too.
  • jmzz1
    Options

Sounds like you bought your normal size in running shoes, i.e., too small. Go up half or one size. It allows for better ventilation throughout the shoe. And I will assume you aren't fitted either since a shoe fitting would have identified this. So do that too.

My problem is not with the size of the shoe.it is simply that my feet gets a burning sensation when I walk on the road. I would like to know how do I get the right sole for running on road
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    For me personally my speed increased as my overall mileage increased.

Try to make one of your weekly runs a long, steady, run. It doesn't mean that you have to run the whole time, but make this pace a bit slower, and run farther, and increase it by about 10% each week. Keep your other 2 runs at a steady pace, try to get up to doing it without a walk break, it will happen.

Once you have miles behind you your speed will catch up.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I disagree about technique and Intervals. You are fairly new to running, and though intervals are a fine workout, until you get your aerobic fitness up, all the speedwork in the world will only give you marginal gains. I don't know how someone could possibly assess your technique over the internet. Sure your may be off, but that would more likely make your knees, feet, and hips hurt than slow you down at first. Fixing your arm position damn sure isn't going to drop 3 minutes off your mile as a beginner. Its something you worry about when trying to knock a few minutes off your marathon.

In order to run a faster 5k, train for a 10k. At your level, the thing that will give you better times is more miles, more miles, more miles. Increase you mileage by 10% each week. Throw in some strides at the end of each workout.

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/add-strides-your-next-run

Once you have a base built up, then you can worry about intervals, tempo runs, and other speedwork. i do agree that ditching the treadmill is a good idea, but mainly because treadmills are boring.

This. Intervalscertainly have their place, but only after the is a good aerobic base.

Yes, this is the answer for you, the new runner. HIIT, FIRST and any other "Get fast quick" schemes are not going to work and are likely to have you end up injured and unable to run at all.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

My problem is not with the size of the shoe.it is simply that my feet gets a burning sensation when I walk on the road. I would like to know how do I get the right sole for running on road

Are you running through Death Valley?
  • jmzz1
    Options

what do you mean by that?
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

what do you mean by that?

He means, what surface are you running on and what is the temperature of the surface?

The burning sensation, unless you are running along surfaces that tend to get incredibly hot, will not affect the soles of your trainers. The burning in your feet is more than likely attributable to other factors, size of trainers being one of them actually, hence why the poster somewhere above suggested slightly bigger trainers.
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm working towards the same goal you are, 5km in 30 (currently 33:04) and started from the same place of not running at all. I've found that my heart rate at 5km "race pace" (using the term very loosely) is about 154 and I'm wrecked at the end of it. Dropping that to 7.5km/hr I kept going for 6km yesterday in 48 minutes and only had to stop because my hip was killing me (feel on it while skiing), my heart rate was around the 143 mark rising to about 150 towards the end.

I know proper runners are more concerned with intervals and whatnot but for me just running longer distance at lower speed if nothing else makes a faster shorter run seem more doable.
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted. I had a problem with one of my toes going numb followed by pain in my calf. Went and got the proper size and type of shoe and the problems stopped.
  • jmzz1
    Options

He means, what surface are you running on and what is the temperature of the surface?

The burning sensation, unless you are running along surfaces that tend to get incredibly hot, will not affect the soles of your trainers. The burning in your feet is more than likely attributable to other factors, size of trainers being one of them actually, hence why the poster somewhere above suggested slightly bigger trainers.
    i run on road which gives a burning sensation in the front side of my foot.. how do i avoid that burning sensation?
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

i run on road which gives a burning sensation in the front side of my foot.. how do i avoid that burning sensation?

Well, it's not the road unless you are running where it's excruciatingly hot, so that narrows it down to two things.

Shoes or socks.

Try different socks to see if the behavior changes. Get some good synthetic running socks. You don't need to spend $15 on a pair, just make sure the are NOT cotton. If you still feel like your feet are on fire, then it's your shoes. If you change the shoes too and it's still happening, see your doctor.