Can't squat upright to full parallel knees

Options
2»

Replies

• mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options

I was lifting (heavy for me) like 110+ pounds, but then read that I was shortchanging my posterior chain doing half-squats and so tried to go lower... but then would lean forward more and more. So, I decided to go back to straight body weight squats to tweak form. Seemed prudent. And, I tried the face the wall squats etc.

Wait...you tried to go deeper with the same weight you were doing half squats with ??? You are DEFINITELY using too heavy of weight. That is why your form is going to hell. Deload a bunch and focus on form with a LOT less weight. Gradually increase weight with each squat workout. You will be amazed at how much you will improve.

ETA...this is why half squats are basically useless
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I see alot of people doing half squats and they lean their torso too far forward. They are not opening up in the hips or keeping their toes pointed out slightly and end up pushing their knees over their toes. Try doing a full squat and see if your knee placement is better.

This baby knows how to do a FULL squat!!!

baby-squat.jpg

I've seen this pic posted a few times before, problem is this babies head is about 1/4 of it's height, and a significant proportion of it's mass. I've yet to see an adult human with the same proportions and mass distribution!

However, it is a decent example of the advantage of having a relatively longer upper body v lower body that I mentioned earlier.

Totally agree! But seeing the baby pic made me realize that I was totally short changing my squats.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I was lifting (heavy for me) like 110+ pounds, but then read that I was shortchanging my posterior chain doing half-squats and so tried to go lower... but then would lean forward more and more. So, I decided to go back to straight body weight squats to tweak form. Seemed prudent. And, I tried the face the wall squats etc.

Wait...you tried to go deeper with the same weight you were doing half squats with ??? You are DEFINITELY using too heavy of weight. That is why your form is going to hell. Deload a bunch and focus on form with a LOT less weight. Gradually increase weight with each squat workout. You will be amazed at how much you will improve.

ETA...this is why half squats are basically useless

This!! When I finally started doing REAL squats, I had to go way down in weights and start all over!
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    The more I think about this, the more I think you need to deload to the barbell, and start all over with just the weight of the barbell. Focus completely on form....
    feet out to or slightly past shoulders.
    Toes pointed outward.
    bar completely centered on your back/shoulders.
    head slightly tilted up. you should focus on a spot higher than your line of sight
    start squat feeling the pressure on the outsides of your feet, and heels. You should really feel it in your quads and butt.
    Back should be arched 'in', abdomen should be 'out'
    Back should remain in that position for the entire rep
    Make sure you are holding your breath, tensing your abdomen as you squat
    Squat to parallel or below. Having your calves against the back of you legs is fine. ATG...*kitten* to ground should the motto or as low and deep as you can go
    Push back up with your posterior,and legs holding the barbell as tight as you can grip it. Drive upward with the power in your legs and butt, and your core

rinse, repeat
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many helpful responses. Loved the baby picture... funny, but true, he was in perfect position. Hmmm.... The videos were helpful.

I will try sitting in a full squat. Also, I will take a video and post it. Would it be better to post a video doing body weight or with bar bell or with kettlebell or all three?

Thank you again for wanting to help. You guys are AWESOME!!!
    If you want help with barbell squat form, we need to see barbell squats. The form is different for bar vs kettlebell vs body weight.

so much of this.

Working body weight squats won't really help you- working the stretch - some yoga stuff down low will- but working a body weight squat itself wont' help you.

Deload- work the bar only.

You'll see progress much faster. :)
  • williamsa522
    Options
    Focus completely on form....

This is the answer to almost every weight lifting problem. Every time I hit failure on a lift I take a rest, then do a form check with just the bar then deload anywhere from 15%-20% of my last successful set. Sometimes you forget to focus on all the different parts of your body that need to engauge (i.e. all of them lol) in order to lift heavy weight. I try to think of "speading the floor" with my heels and knees on both sides of the rep. If your butt isn't pinging on the way up, you're putting too much stress on your knees.

Take it from me, I had bad knees until I learned how to squat.

Also don't forget to squeeze the bar with your hands and retract your shoulders. No reason why a squat shouldn't include upper body as well :)