the longer you chew, the more calories you retain

Options
"It has been discovered that even factors such as how you eat your food can influence how many calories get into your system. The longer you chew your food, the more calories the body retains, a team from Purdue University found."

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/245588.php

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    "It has been discovered that even factors such as how you eat your food can influence how many calories get into your system. The longer you chew your food, the more calories the body retains, a team from Purdue University found."

Well, the more you chew, the greater the surface area of the food you expose to digestion, I suppose. Makes sense that chewers would expose a greater surface area to interact with chemicals in the stomach and aid towards maximum digestion of nutrients.

Interesting topic - will check the link out.
  • Miru8112
    Miru8112 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    However, the longer you chew the less food you shove down your throat before the feeling of satiety kicks in. Therefore the buttonline shuld be less calories due to longer chewing.
    Also, I believe that the plus in calories per gramm of food that causes from prolonged chewing is that insignificantly low that no one should bother thinking about those findings ;_)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    In the study, carried out by a research team at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, participants were required to chew almonds, while the amount of fecal fat and energy lost was measured.

Wouldn't that be a lovely job to collect that info?
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I read the whole post and found it very interesting, especially how they say we cannot possibly count all sugar as it is not always listed, all in all I found this very informative.

Thank you for posting the link
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    However, the longer you chew the less food you shove down your throat before the feeling of satiety kicks in. Therefore the buttonline shuld be less calories due to longer chewing.
    Also, I believe that the plus in calories per gramm of food that causes from prolonged chewing is that insignificantly low that no one should bother thinking about those findings ;_)
    Wouldn't the plus in calories per gramm of food already be offset by the extra calories burned by the act of prolonged chewing? :laugh:
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Some chewing factoids:

Prolonged chewing also means the enzymes in saliva do part of the work of digestion that would be done by your stomach. If you chew your food well before you swallow it, the food will be less acidic once you do swallow it. I have a friend with severe gastrointestinal problems whose doctor advised her to chew well because that reduces acid reflux.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Okay so now I can blame the teachers at my primary school for making me fat because they used to make us sit down at lunch and chew every mouthful 10 times - only joking.

But who on earth thought up doing a study on chewing food? My mind boggles.