Fustrated!!

Options
Hi All,

This is a bitter sweet post from me as I'm feeling happy but despondent today.

My current weight is fluctuating between 136 - 138lbs (I'm 5' 5") ultimate goal is 126lbs but I'm happy where I am for now. I now fit into a small in most clothing shops and a size 10 pretty comfortably (UK so 6 US?) and today i'm wearing a nice top and skirt. However I'm still squidgy!!! I'm small in size now, but I have squidgyness like at the top of my back and my arms are still pretty big, not slender arms :( so I still think I look bigger than I am.

It means that clothes either don't QUITE fit, or they do but still look a bit lumpy. I absolutely long to be a slim/toned person who is fit. I don't want to be "skinny" but I want to be slim and toned!!

I'm struggling to find time to exercise at the moment due to working full time and studying for a qualification at the same time. Thought about trying the 30 day plank challenge but will that actually do anything?

Replies

• claire671
    claire671 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We are in such similar places right now! I am also 5'5" and weigh 132lbs. I am in size 10 jeans but I feel so squishy and like I still have fat to lose. I am not really fussed about weight anymore it's more my body size and becoming more defined. As far as I understand from plenty reading on the forums is that the best way to lose inches is to lift weights... Something I knew I'd probably need to do at some point so that time seems to be now. I don't have a lot of time as I am a working Mum but I'm going to aim to fit in 3 sessions at the gym a week. In my area a monthly off peak membership is £25 so not too bad. Or pick up some cheap weights from Gumtree or Decathlon and do work outs at home.

Best of luck!
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    We are in such similar places right now! I am also 5'5" and weigh 132lbs. I am in size 10 jeans but I feel so squishy and like I still have fat to lose. I am not really fussed about weight anymore it's more my body size and becoming more defined. As far as I understand from plenty reading on the forums is that the best way to lose inches is to lift weights... Something I knew I'd probably need to do at some point so that time seems to be now. I don't have a lot of time as I am a working Mum but I'm going to aim to fit in 3 sessions at the gym a week. In my area a monthly off peak membership is £25 so not too bad. Or pick up some cheap weights from Gumtree or Decathlon and do work outs at home.

Best of luck!

Ahhh it's so good to know I'm not the only one!!! I'm getting really fustrated now at being stuck at 138lbs. I just want to get going again and see some weight coming off and actually get near to my goal!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    losing another 10lb wont make you any less squidgy than you are now...

you need to lose some fat so you have a little muscle definition - ie 'tone up'. unfortunately you're going to have to do some exercise for this. as the saying goes, diet to look good in your clothes, exercise to look good naked...

you need a small deficit (0.5lb per week or TDEE -10%) and some strength/resistance training. make sure you are getting plenty of protein and are patient, oh and ditch the scales!
  • sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is what is refered to as a skinny fat person. You are close to weight goals and size but your fat to muscle ratio is off. It is very easily to fall within your weight range but have excess body fat. To truly change and be less squishy you need lean muscle gains AND lower body fat. It is hard to lose fat weight (by scale) and add muscle at same time. It sounds like you are now looking to be healthier not just weigh less.

You may want to consider some body weight bearing exercises. Resistance training will help reshape and burn fat at same time. Just make sure you are getting adaquate protein in your calories.