What is going on?! Gained back the pound I lost!

Options
13»

Replies

• MichMunchkin
    MichMunchkin Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean here. And many people will jump in and attack me for this but idc. TOO MANY PEOPLE ON THIS SITE are too quick to throw out that someone has issues or a mental illness or need to seek help. how about DUHHHHHHH!!! Besides the fitness pros helping us chunkies, most of the people here need help and support because being overweight/obese is an ISSUE. and that usually stems from FOOD ISSUES. Obviously many of us probably do need a professional, but realistically not all have the time or resources for that.

THANK YOU.

I'm not thrilled with the tendency some people seem to have to immediately assume "Oh, you need PROFESSIONAL HELP" whenever anyone happens to mention that they might have an issue with anything remotely related to weight or food. As you said: hello, NONE of us would be on this site if we didn't have *some* kind of issue with food/weight. And it just seems like if you dare to mention that you're worried that your weight isn't moving, or you hate your scale, or whatever....it's just this straight jump to "Well, maybe you should seek help."

Not all of us have the money to do that. And, believe it or not, some people just tend to be a bit overdramatic. It happens. And it doesn't necessarily mean that the person needs a shrink or something.

Thank you for understanding. I think, being a person who has had therapy before (for other issues completely unrelated to weight/food), I am well aware of when I need to seek help and when I don't....and I certainly don't need perfect strangers to suggest otherwise.

Maybe consider what you post in the first place...

I was actually trying to be supportive of someone who said they had a fear of food... Turns out it was just your run of the mill drama over nothing.... :grumble:

Well, thank you for apparently trying to be supportive...but I'm sorry to tell you, it didn't work. All I got out of your comment was "Well, you're loony, so go get yourself a shrink." Thanks, but that's the kind of help I *don't* need. As for drama....not my intention. But I'm damn well going to speak up for myself when I feel piled upon, so if that's considered "drama", then so be it.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    "Well, thank you for apparently trying to be supportive...but I'm sorry to tell you, it didn't work. All I got out of your comment was "Well, you're loony, so go get yourself a shrink." Thanks, but that's the kind of help I *don't* need. As for drama....not my intention. But I'm damn well going to speak up for myself when I feel piled upon, so if that's considered "drama", then so be it."
    [/quote]

Keep logging, keep exercising, keep your head up.

Edited because it didn't show the quote correctly. I put quotation marks around it.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Take some time and read the forums. They are full of great information. a lb is nothing honestly. Ive put 6 lbs in a week and lost 8 the next week. Water weight, food intake, salt, etc all plays a roll. Worry less about the scale and more about the quality of your health.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well, thank you for apparently trying to be supportive...but I'm sorry to tell you, it didn't work. All I got out of your comment was "Well, you're loony, so go get yourself a shrink." Thanks, but that's the kind of help I *don't* need. As for drama....not my intention. But I'm damn well going to speak up for myself when I feel piled upon, so if that's considered "drama", then so be it.

'Loony'? I think that says more about you then...

Plus a whole thread about putting on a pound because of your period is drama!
  • MichMunchkin
    Options
    Take some time and read the forums. They are full of great information. a lb is nothing honestly. Ive put 6 lbs in a week and lost 8 the next week. Water weight, food intake, salt, etc all plays a roll. Worry less about the scale and more about the quality of your health.

Thanks. :) I think you (and some others here) are right. It's less about the scale and more about how I feel; besides, as you say....a pound is nothing. It's just difficult sometimes to break the chain that's bound me to the scale for a while. (And no, I don't have an "unhealthy obsession" with the scale...it's just that in the plan I was following for a while, the scale was the only indication of success. It's hard to break that dependence!)

Thank you again for your input. I appreciate it!
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Your calories are set at a 2,083 goal.

Maybe don't eat chocolate milk and chocolate chip cookies as your lunch, and pizza for dinner?

Make healthier choices. And don't eat back your exercise calories.
  • MichMunchkin
    Options

Maybe don't eat chocolate milk and chocolate chip cookies as your lunch, and pizza for dinner?

Can you possibly make your tone any more judgemental? If a person *didn't* have issues with eating, they'd damn well have them after you were done. Also, is MFP set up to eat back your exercise calories or not? And thirdly: where in the hell are you getting 2, 083 as a goal? The page I see when I log in gives me a goal of 1,700 calories, so I don't know what the **** you're looking at.
  • JoyeII
    Options
    You asked for advice. I gave you mine. I'm not being judgmental, really. I don't know you or care what you eat.

However, you said you're "afraid to eat." You said you can't figure out why you gained back a pound. And yet you're eating crap and it appears that you're eating back your exercise calories. That doesn't seem like fear to me.

From looking at your food diary, I'm simply making suggestions that you could make healthier food choices and reduce your calorie intake.

You need to have a calorie deficit to lose weight. You can create a bigger deficit by not eating back your exercise calories. It's very common.

And when I pull up your food diary, it says your daily goal is 2,083. I see now that that's because your exercise calories were added to your goal of 1700.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I sense a mean people thread brewing........
  • MichMunchkin
    Options
    You asked for advice. I gave you mine. I'm not being judgmental, really. I don't know you or care what you eat.

However, you said you're "afraid to eat." You said you can't figure out why you gained back a pound. And yet you're eating crap and it appears that you're eating back your exercise calories. That doesn't seem like fear to me.

From looking at your food diary, I'm simply making suggestions that you could make healthier food choices and reduce your calorie intake.

You need to have a calorie deficit to lose weight. You can create a bigger deficit by not eating back your exercise calories. It's very common.

And when I pull up your food diary, it says your daily goal is 2,083. I see now that that's because your exercise calories were added to your goal of 1700.

Just forget it. If your goal for the day was to totally beat someone down, mission accomplished, okay? So you really can stop now, unless you're looking to tear me down even more.
  • MichMunchkin
    Options

Also? You might think I'm stupid, but I am not. I know I need a calorie deficit. If you looked at my diary closely enough to see what I've been eating, then maybe you would have noticed that I came in below my calorie goal each day. Did I eat back my exercise calories? You're damn right I did, because if I didn't eat back at least MOST of them, it would have left me with a gigantic deficit and, a lot of the time, would have left me netting below 1,000 calories a day. Pardon me for using the site the way I understood it was to be used. I'm not looking to lose any more than a pound a week, and I only need a weekly calorie deficit of around 3,500 to do that.

I just feel really....defeated now. Maybe that wasn't your intention, but the thing is, intent doesn't matter. Your response hit me like a ton of bricks.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

MFP works by having a deficit BEFORE exercise so that you should eat back exercise cals...

Plus as long as it's not every day, what's wrong with pizza and cookies now and then?!
  • MichMunchkin
    Options

MFP works by having a deficit BEFORE exercise so that you should eat back exercise cals...

Plus as long as it's not every day, what's wrong with pizza and cookies now and then?!

I especially like how she picked ONE day out of my diary (today!) to nitpick. I have pizza once a week. Those cookies (all TWO of them)? First time I've had a cookie in a month, and they added up to a grand total of 100 calories. The way she framed it, it sounds like I'm chowing down on an entire pizza and a bag of cookies. That is not the case.

Well...no one's getting into my food diary again, I can guarantee you that. Not after this. Holy hell.
  • JoyeII
    Options
    I think it's hilarious how people come on here and ask for people's advice and opinions and then ,when they're given and aren't what the person wants to hear, they freak out.

Sheesh!

When you click your diary, today is the day that shows on the screen so, yes. That's the day I looked at.

It wasn't my intention to "attack" you. I offered my advice based on your question.

Take it or leave it.
  • MichMunchkin
    Options
    When you click your diary, today is the day that shows on the screen so, yes. That's the day I looked at.

Yeah, because I suppose it was too much trouble to peek through my (public) diary to get an actual picture of how I eat overall, when you could just judge me based on one day. Good job!

Take it or leave it.

Oh, believe me, I'll be leaving it. You can keep your "advice" to yourself. As for offering advice based on the question I asked: I don't recall asking for judgements on my food choices. But thanks for playing. Now kindly shag off.
  • JoyeII
    Options
    Oh please.

It sounds to me like you're pissed off because you know I'm right.

It sounds like you were trying to have a little pity party and, when I pointed out that you, in fact AREN'T sticking to your calorie goal because you're eating back your exercise calories, you got butthurt.

It sounds to me like you were trying to convince people that you're a stickler at eating 1300 calories a day, that you're "afraid" to eat more, and in fact, that's not true, which I pointed out.

And now you're upset because you got called on it.

DON'T add your exercise calories onto your daily food goal. DON'T eat back your exercise calories. Count everything you eat.

If you don't want people's opinions, don't ask for them. Or at least be clear that you only want to hear those opinions which agree with yours.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Oh please.

It sounds to me like you're pissed off because you know I'm right.

It sounds like you were trying to have a little pity party and, when I pointed out that you, in fact AREN'T sticking to your calorie goal because you're eating back your exercise calories, you got butthurt.

It sounds to me like you were trying to convince people that you're a stickler at eating 1300 calories a day, that you're "afraid" to eat more, and in fact, that's not true, which I pointed out.

And now you're upset because you got called on it.

DON'T add your exercise calories onto your daily food goal. DON'T eat back your exercise calories. Count everything you eat.

If you don't want people's opinions, don't ask for them. Or at least be clear that you only want to hear those opinions which agree with yours.

Actually, after reading all your guys' comments, it sounds like she's pissed off because you're being harsh, judgmental, and kind of mean all at the same time.

She never said she was trying to stick to a 1300 cal diet now. She said she used to, when she was doing WW, and was concerned that it was making things difficult for her now when she's trying to eat more to lose weight.

Since she's not doing the TDEE method, but using MFP the way it was designed, she SHOULD eat back exercise calories. That's how it works.

You're not giving her your opinions. You're stating things as facts when they're wrong and it is, understandably, making her upset.
  • MichMunchkin
    Options
    Actually, after reading all your guys' comments, it sounds like she's pissed off because you're being harsh, judgmental, and kind of mean all at the same time.

She never said she was trying to stick to a 1300 cal diet now. She said she used to, when she was doing WW, and was concerned that it was making things difficult for her now when she's trying to eat more to lose weight.

Since she's not doing the TDEE method, but using MFP the way it was designed, she SHOULD eat back exercise calories. That's how it works.

You're not giving her your opinions. You're stating things as facts when they're wrong and it is, understandably, making her upset.

I can't thank you enough for actually understanding why I'm upset (and yes...I'm still upset.) I feel like the commenter in question didn't even read my original post, then went off on me based on one single day out of my food diary, and didn't even bother to answer the question I actually asked.

Again....thank you so much. I really appreciate your comment.