Body Monitors/ Calorie Counters

Options
2»

Replies

• Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have tried two devices, one a SUUNTO and the current one - a Polar FT4. I'd recommend the Polar HRM as it has a chest strap and actually monitors your heart rate. I'm not a fan of the gimmicky ones. JMHO.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Polar has come out with their own tracking device that can incorporate both normal daily activity and exercise (e.g. it is a combo of a daily tracking device and a HRM). It is the first to try and combine these two aspects. It is also waterPROOF (so you can wear it while swimming, etc.), which no other devices are. Since it is new, I have not been able to locate much data about it though.

http://www.polarloop.com/us-en/

Here is a discussion about it on MFP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1128827-polar-loop-reviews-to-buy-or-not

For older products, the Body Media Fit from my own personal research is what I would go with (when compared to Jawbone, Fitbit, etc.). I personally did not purchase a BMF due to the subscription fees though. I am considering purchasing a Polar Loop.

NOTE: I do already own a Polar FT7 and it is AWESOME. However, it is a HRM only and not an "activity tracker." I love my Polar products and would feel comfortable purchasing another.

Edited to Add: HRMs are for tracking steady state cardio only. It is important to note that HRMs are not accurate for weight lifting and will not give you an accurate burn. They are also not meant for HIIT. Temperature extremes and daily burn tracking (e.g. I wear it all day to find out what I should be taking in) are also inaccurate. HRMs are for steady state aerobic exercise only! Hence why the Loop is so great!

This is a helpful blog post for understanding HRMs:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I did more research on the Polar Loop and I was disappointed with the results. There is no good way for it to even try to estimate strength training burns, since it purely relies on the motion and HRM functions (both are inaccurate for lifting). Plus, it is having TONS of Beta issues (I think they released it too early). Not saying it won't turn out to be a good device, but I would definitely stay away for now. That is JMO.

I am again considering the BMF and I think I will purchase it. It seems to be quite accurate and there has been enough data gathered by users to make me feel comfortable with how it performs. I can use my Polar FT7 to substitute in for workouts the BMF cannot track accurately (e.g. cycling, etc.).
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    I can use my Polar FT7 to substitute in for workouts the BMF cannot track accurately (e.g. cycling, etc.).

The BMF measures the same way for ALL exercises. The other "goals" on the app and website are just activity ones and DO NOT enter into the calories burn which is all done by the sensors that capture skin resistance, temperature etc. That is what makes it and HRM different from "activity trackers" that calculate activity from a "step" or change in altitude etc. It is a concept that many people do not fully understand. If your step count is off your estimated calories from that is off this is not the case with BM or HRM. If your oxygen burn is off than the BMF and HRM are off which is why they do not work as accurately in strength training. This is also why estimating your own VO2 makes the calories calculations from a HRM more accurate for you as an individual.
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One. I was going to wait for the Fitbit Force but prefer to stick with the 'One' because the steps will not be thrown off by arm gestures which I understand to be the case with Fitbit wrist-band varieties. I input food into MFP which interfaces with Fitbit automatically.

I purchased the Wahoo Fitness HRM because it linked with MFP and Nike Run app. I'm not sure of the accuracy of the monitor but its sufficient. When the calories burned seem unrealistic, I do not eat to the max calorie count suggest to accommodate for false readings.

I purchased both through REI with a member's discount. Total cost was probably around $130-$140.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with my FitBit One. I personally wouldn't trust one that you wear on your wrist because it's not just measuring movements you make with your whole body. Just imagine how many steps a drummer would generate during a band's set!! The activity monitors (rather than HRMs) are perfect for spurring you on to do more on a day to day basis.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Body Media Fit armband - very accurate for me running and lifting! Wish I had used one from the start, I could have lost on a lot more food instead of slowing my metabolism down. Thx to BMF and patience those last lbs are finally coming off.
  • Ajrenee
    Ajrenee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are there any calorie counters that can track daily activity and weight training that aren't huge armbands? Like a wrist one that has biometric sensors? I don't want something on my arm all the time. I don't think I can as a nursing student
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    Are there any calorie counters that can track daily activity and weight training that aren't huge armbands? Like a wrist one that has biometric sensors? I don't want something on my arm all the time. I don't think I can as a nursing student

Last I looked the "Amiigo" was not fully released but it uses two sensors to "know" what you are doing.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Bodymedia.
    I've tested it a lot, love that it lets me pinpoint when I was really killing it, and when i was just going through the motions. Friends tried testing it against the Fitbit type armbands (He got one as a freebee from work), found too many times the armbands didn't really get good readings, like when she was riding a stationary bike with her hands on the handle bars. Armband didn't get much as it records movement and her top wasn't moving, while Bodymedia said she was burning more cals from the moment she started.

Although I'd be interested in seeing how it compares with the new Basis fitness tracker they advertise on here. It has a heart rate monitor in it, but I can't see wearing a huge non watch watch, wereas I don't even notice that I have the Bodymedia on, and my short sleeves cover it.