Fitness for the exercise reluctant

Options
After reading through loads of threads i've realised that this place seems to have, predominately, two types of person. Those who want to lose weight and those who want to get fit. Quite a few want both with a bias on one or the other. I'm one of those, with bias to losing weight. However, I have one major obstacle. I hate exercise. I mean loathe it. I've tried joining gyms, paid personal trainers and the like, tried classes, swimming, all sorts but when it comes down to it I really hate it. I get no enjoyment out of it whatsoever and as a result will jump at any excuse I can find not to do it. Obviously this is not ideal but there again, neither is forcing yourself to take part in an activity that you hate, keeping in mind that this is something forever unless you want to revert to the overweight and unfit state you began with.

I enjoy and ride horses regularly, turns out this is also pretty good exercise, i'm burning around 500 calories each time. I don't look for excuses not to do it, the opposite in fact. So, with that in mind it got me to thinking that perhaps there are other activities out there that do not involve going to a gym or using equipment that are inadvertently good exercise. Any suggestions please?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Walking is excellent exercise. Although I like to use various cardio machines, run, lift weights, swim, etc, walking outdoors is my absolute favorite exercise ever so that's what I end up doing the most. In fact I plan on going for a nice long walk this afternoon since we're expecting 50's and sun! :)

Technically you don't need to exercise to lose weight - that only requires a calorie deficit. Some people achieve their calorie deficit thorugh exercise and this is why the two tend to be intertwined but they really shouldn't be. In fact, this is exactly how MFP is set up. You tell the program your personal stats, how much weight you want to lose per week and your general activity level and they set you up with a daily calorie goal that includes a deficit WITHOUT exercise. That's why when you do exercise, you need to eat back at least some of the earned calories - so that deficit isn't too high.

Calorie deficit - weight loss
    Exercise - fitness (and look better nekkid)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    ... this place seems to have, predominately, two types of person. Those who want to lose weight and those who want to get fit.
    Keep in mind that a lot of the people in the "want to be fit" group started out in the "want to lose weight group". It's very common for those nearing their goal weight to re-evaluate and change their goals to fitness.
    I've tried joining gyms, paid personal trainers and the like, tried classes, swimming, all sorts but when it comes down to it I really hate it.
    Sounds like you tried doing too much too fast. For some people (myself included) starting slowly can help with establishing regular exercise as a habit. I started out by walking. Very short walks at first, but I made it a point to walk every day. Walking is easy. Once you've establish a habit of walking you can build on that by walking longer, adding body-weight exercises or some other activity that you don't hate.

The most import thing is to keep your diet under control. If you can do that you will lose weight regardless of exercise activity. Over time you may even find yourself in that "want to be fit" group. When that happens the obstacles to exercise (excuses) are not nearly as difficult to overcome.
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think walking outside is the best exercise for non-exercisers. It is for me. When I started MFP, I didn't excercise at all for the first few months and I lost weight easily just counting calories. But I decided to start walking when the weather was nice and find that it really helps me in ways other than weight loss...it is "me" time, for that 45-60 minutes, and I really enjoy it, I find it helps clear my head and I look forward to it for the most part. I also do "walking" videos which I admit I don't love, but will do until I reach my goal, but then I hope to just continue walking at least 5 days a week and maintain.
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'd say there is a third category - those who want to lose weight but want a bit more to eat, so they add some exercise. I started by doing a little bit of extra walking, and I keep finding opportunities to add more.

But if you have the opportunity to ride horses, go for it. There are other horsey chores that are also good exercise, like cleaning stables and grooming. You're right; for this to work long term it has to be something you're willing to do
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My question is, what is it about exercise that you HATE? Let me clarify: I don't particularly enjoy brushing my teeth every morning, or a host of other little chores that I need to do to keep my life going. But I can't say that I HATE or LOATHE doing them. So if you said you don't exactly enjoy exercise, that would be a different conversation.

Is it the strain of pushing your body beyond its comfort zone the problem? A fear of injury? Are you self conscious about working out in front of other people at a gym? Is being bored something that really drives you nuts (for someone with a very active mind, even bordering on ADD, this is a very legitimate issue when considering spending an hour on an elliptical) Something else entirely?

I think that if you can answer the question of what exactly is causing such a strong aversion, you may be able to either overcome it, or find a number of physical activities that circumvent the problem.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Walking.....basically the only exercise I have done during my weight loss. Costs very little (good shoes are important) and getting outside can be a great mood booster. I also invested in a used treadmill. In order to motivate myself to use it when I first bought it, I recorded my favorite soap opera. If I hadn't already walked three miles that day, I would not let myself watch it unless I was also walking on the treadmill.
    Good luck!
    Kaye
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Dance, maybe?

I love Zumba because it doesn't feel like exercise to me whatsoever. Maybe try classes?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Dance, maybe?

I love Zumba because it doesn't feel like exercise to me whatsoever. Maybe try classes?

Beat me to it. Exercise doesn't have to be the 'traditional' go to the gym hop on the machines type exercise. Dancing is great cardio! Walking is great, hiking is awesome. Playing sports outside is great also. We've been known to make up outdoor games just to get moving and have fun. Shadow boxing is good too. I got started by doing the sports/exercise games on our Wii mixed in with some walking. I also agree with the above poster that said for a lot of people it does start as just weight loss and as it starts falling off we become more interested in the fitness aspect of it. I loathed running, I mean hated running my whole life. Over the past 3 years I've become a runner and ran my first half marathon last month and to date is my proudest achievement even over the 107 lbs I've lost. Good luck finding your niche!
  • lrevels1
    lrevels1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're saying. And if horesback riding is your excerise right now then leave it at that. You could also try doing things in small quantities..like 15 min of vigoursouly vaccuming, or running up the stairs instead of elevator. Because remember, any activity you add into your day is more that you were doing yesterday. That;s all that matters. I think you have to be in the right mental state to do certain types of exercise. Stick with your calories and just be creative in adding in movement. You can also use a heart rate monitor to see what your typical day looks like in burning calories and then start trying to increase your calorie burn by doing whatever makes you happy.
  • valandario
    valandario Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I see what you are driving at but ultimately it is just as I said. I don't like it. I don't enjoy it and resent wasting hours of my week doing an activity I dislike when there are alternatives out there to it. I just wanted suggestions for alternative ways to get exercise. The horse riding I gave as an example. I don't do it for exercise purposes, I do it because I enjoy it but it turns out it is also very good exercise and burns a lot of calories. I'm just wondering what other things there are that could have a similar result. I'm not too worried about the whole "diet" aspect, yes I still have a lot of weight to lose but having lost over 5 stone, maintained it for a year without effort and now trying to lose the rest, I figure I have that aspect in hand. I am aware that I need to do more in terms of fitness though. There is just no point forcing myself to do something I hate, I know myself well enough to know I won't commit and will find excuses to get out of it.
  • valandario
    valandario Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Dance, maybe?

Lol sounds like my idea of hell! When I say I dislike excercise, I'm really not kidding. If it fits into the category of "exercise" then I won't enjoy it. I'm looking for things that are not immediately obvious as exercise, if that makes sense?
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    So if you aren't willing to try any other exercise, what exactly is the point of your post? Trolling?
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Aside from being in a gym and in a group, Zumba feels more like dancing than exercising.

You have to find things you enjoy doing and do them. If you pick activities you don't like then you won't get pleasure from doing them. Instead of just joining a gym, try different classes. Try a new class at least 3x before giving up. If you like walking, try hiking in the woods (state parks have trails). A lot of people don't like doing exercise for the sale of exercise but rather enjoy the activity and it just so happens that they get exercise from it.

If you like horse stuff just do more horse stuff. Frog position, two point, two point over poles and cavaletti, posting to different patterns (instead of up/down try up/up/up/down for example), post the canter, ground driving, go for a hike and lead your horse in hand.

Bike riding on trails is also nice.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I totally get OP, lol. I don't like exercising either. I've done several DVD programs but I typically don't follow them exactly because I can't really stomach it. I suffer through 35 minutes of weight lifting 3 times a week because I pretty much have to, and at least it doesn't take too long, but that's about it... probably why I don't seem to get much results and seem to still have a high bodyfat, but heck...

Otherwise, I walk. I get a break, I can think, listen to music etc in peace, so I don't mind at all.
  • gsmithnp
    gsmithnp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hiking. Bike riding (for the scenery). Tennis, softball, golf (carrying your own clubs), basketball, volleyball. Dancing (any kind: square dancing, ballroom, swing, salsa, belly dancing). Gardening. Rearranging furniture. Organizing that back bedroom. Clean the house. Paint the house. Clean your neighbor's house. Rake leaves. Pay your bills while standing at the kitchen counter rather than sitting at the table. Park your car as far away from the store entrance as possible.

Just get on your feet and do something. Anything. The possibilities are endless.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The only thing I go to a gym for is the weight room...I'd love to have one at my home and just forgo the whole thing, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon. People really need to get over the notion that "exercise" means droning away on some cardio machine or doing some kind of DVD...there was "exercise" far before the elliptical was invented and long before Jillian ever made a DVD.

- I'm an avid hiker...I love nothing more than taking a nice long hike in the mountains here or down in the bosque by the river.

- I love riding my bike...I often lose track of time and next thing I know I've been gone a couple hours and covered 25 - 30 miles.

- My dog loves the fact that I like to get up and move now...she goes for way more walks

- I take my 3 y.o. to the park every Sunday and we kick the soccer ball around and chase each other

- I'm an avid golfer in the spring, summer, and fall

- I'm partial to jogging and I also like swimming

The list could go on and on
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Walking, hiking, biking, skating/rollerblading, join a team sport (volley ball, soft ball ect., roller derby if you're really adventurous), dancing or dance lessons, yoga, zumba, lift weights, body weight exercises and about a gazillion workouts for free on youtube that can be done in the comfort of your own home (no gym or equipment needed)
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Back in highschool I marched snare in the drumline, and that was definitely exercise without meaning to do it! I wish I had also been paying attention to what I was eating then because I probably would have lost 15-20 pounds each season. I could have been skinny by graduation!

Nowadays, about the only exercise that I would say doesn't feel like exercise is organized sports. I've played soccer and flag football and never resented the physical exertion of either because I was too wrapped up in playing well and winning. I understand what you mean about hating exercise, as I am pretty much like that. The only thing that I tolerate well on a regular basis is walking on my treadmill because I can watch netflix while I do it. I'll occasionally do a zumba video, a jillian michaels video, or some bodyweight exercises in a bit of an attempt to retain muscle, but I have zero intention of joining a gym while I'm trying to lose weight. I even am halfway considering buying a set of free weights so I can legit work on strength training. Eh, we'll see.

My point is that you need to find some activity that has an interest for you that overrides exertion from also having a physical aspect. Just like horse riding. Or Dodgeball.
  • torisiegel
    Options
    I dislike vigorous exercise, mainly because I get way too sweaty and my skin gets bright red. :( So I bought a stationary bike, set it in the living room, and pedal lightly (10 mph) while watching an hour of television. It feels a little "lazy," but I've done it daily for a few months now, it hasn't been hard to stay motivated, and I've been losing weight!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I'll have to add yoga in front of the TV or out back in the yard, etc. I know it sounds like exercise, but it doesn't feel like it. You have to do it a few times to notice it, but it does this relaxing/invigorating thing that feels the opposite of the sweaty hard stuff. Granted, there are forms of yoga that get all sweaty, but try the slow kinds. It feels like a good stretch in the morning :) But it builds strength and increases blood flow, etc. It's exercise in it's most inviting form, imho.

Splashing around in a pool is also a nice way to chill out and have fun while exercising, imho. Just play around in the water; you don't have to swim laps to get some nice movement in :) It's great on a hot day, particularly!

If you like the fast fun of riding, you might also like ice skating! That one takes a bit of a learning curve, but zooming around a refreshing rink is really great fun. Roller skating is kind of similar, but I like the chilly air of an ice rink!