Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Low Fat Diets

I've always done either low carb or low calorie diets. Well, I joined a program at the Y that tracks fat grams while watching sugar intake. I'm really struggling with this diet. I feel hungry all the time and I’m having trouble finding things to eat that are low in fat, filling and good for you.

In our meetings they are constantly brining up low-fat processed foods, pretzels, fiber one bars, fat free dressings, etc. I’m really struggling because I’ve always heard to stay away from processed foods and that anything labeled fat-free and low-fat is usually packed with other bad fillers to add taste.

I eat a lot of raw fruits and vegetables and I love broth based soups but I’m always hungry. The diet allows me 27 fat grams per day and my calorie intake is never over 1,200, it’s usually closer to 1,000. I feel like the foods I eat are good for me but I need something more filling.

Any suggestions / recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Hmmmm, low-fat diets are a bit last-century. I'm surprised groups are still promoting them.

As you've realised, if something is "low-fat" it usually means that something else has been added. Usually sugar.

I'll take the regular version, thanks.

Why is your calorie intake never reaching 1200 (no wonder you're hungry all teh time....)

Try lean proteins such as fish, chicken breast, eggs and cottage cheese.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    I eat a very low fat diet, and am personally never feeling hungry. Example of a day for me:
    B: porridge made with skim milk
    S: a piece of fruit and a homemade wholemeal muffin (made with very little butter or sugar)
    L: pumpkin soup and two pieces of toast with low fat cheese
    S: fat free natural yoghurt and a piece of bread with a little avocado spread on it
    D: steamed veggies, mashed potato and a piece of chicken cooked in the oven
    S: glass of skim milk

This particular day came to 24g, which was actually one of my days with a bit more fat.

As I eat little fat, I eat a fair few carbs - most of my meals contain either brown rice, whole wheat spaghetti, potatoes, wholemeal couscous or wholemeal bread. I eat a fair few veggies and try to get all my protein from lower fat sources such as fish (normallly hoki or tuna), chicken, low fat dairy products, and eggs (but not too many!)

I steer clear of things such as dressings and butter/margarine, and use alot of herbs an slices to flavour my foods :)

Good luck! :)
  • I clicked on this topic because I'm searching for a low-fat diet guide as well, and hoorah! I found one that I really like *big smile* major points for meg.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    What is the reasoning behind low fat diets? It certainly didn't work in the 90's.
  • tanya0324
    tanya0324 Posts: 86 Member
    I just completed a 16 week program similar to this one through my local health department. It was a diabetes prevention program. Like the OP, I struggled with the low-fat vs high-carb, processed foods. I did manage to lose a few pounds but nothing like I did prior to entering the program and simply counting my calories. There were a lot of women who were successful on the program and loved it. However, most of the women in the program were at the beginning of their weightloss journey so I wondered if they were actually benefiting from just the overall drop in both calories and fat. There was one lady who stayed away from the processed foods. Her diary contained a lot of fresh fruit, fruit cups, vegetables, salad with lean protein, and fish. For sweet cravings she ate jello and sorbet. Good luck on your journey
  • Chriss89
    Chriss89 Posts: 15 Member
    I have to be on a low fat diet since my gall bladder and liver surgery - advised to eat around 20g - 25g of fat a day.

At first it seemed like an impossible task but, once I got into the swing of it, it seems easy now. I'm never left feeling wanting at all. I eat loads of vegetables and lean proteins like chicken and feel better than I have in a long time.

On the days when I have a big appetite I try and include plant based proteins in with my usual meal. It's surprising what a little extra serving of lentils, beans or quinoa can do to fill you up! I always include wild rice or beans in my soups and stews, even if they have meat in, and I've never been left hungry yet :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Not only do low fat diets not work for long term, they are not healthy. Really, most people have already figured out that low fat doesn't work after 20 years of beating the dead horse and getting sicker and fatter. You are getting clear messages that it is not working for you and not healthy for your body; why do you want to continue with it?

I have resolved many, many health problems by eating the way I do. My diary is open if you are interested. Oh, and my weight loss has been effortless and free of cravings and hunger.

Edit: limiting to 27 grams of fat per day... someone should be sued. Please stop and reconsider the logic of limiting a necessary macro so severely. Our brains do not function well without healthy fats, including saturated. Do you think it's a coincidence that depression, eating disroders, increasing obesity and diabetes have increased as people cut their fat intake and increase sugar, grains, and processed "low fat" products?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    I just completed a 16 week program similar to this one through my local health department. It was a diabetes prevention program. Like the OP, I struggled with the low-fat vs high-carb, processed foods. I did manage to lose a few pounds but nothing like I did prior to entering the program and simply counting my calories. There were a lot of women who were successful on the program and loved it. However, most of the women in the program were at the beginning of their weightloss journey so I wondered if they were actually benefiting from just the overall drop in both calories and fat. There was one lady who stayed away from the processed foods. Her diary contained a lot of fresh fruit, fruit cups, vegetables, salad with lean protein, and fish. For sweet cravings she ate jello and sorbet. Good luck on your journey

So, the "diabetes prevention program" was low fat and high carb? And that made sense to you?

It just infuriates me when the exact opposite of what should be done is the status quo. Fat does not cause obesity. Obesity does not CAUSE diabetes. Obesity and diabetes are symptoms of the same disease (metabolic disorder). Obesity usually comes first as the body fights to prevent diabetes. It's correlation, not causation.
  • MEG_

I agree with you whole-heartedly. I'm tired of reading that eating more fats and calories elicits weightloss- uh, no. I like your food diary and will be mirroring your decisions.

Congrats on the weight loss!!! Keep it up :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    What is the reasoning behind low fat diets? It certainly didn't work in the 90's.

Back in the 90's ...... it was all fats were created equal and eating fat made you fat......would like to know what the new "spin" is today.

No thanks........
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Low fat is just another fad. We need a good amount of good fats to keep us healthy. In the UK I believe the recommended intake for women eating 2000 calories a day is 70g of fat and 20g of that fat being saturated. Obviously everyone is different but personally I have found that I can lose weight by eating over 1600 cals and 60-70g of fat a day (more of everything if I exercise :) ) I do try to stay a bit under with the carbs however, usually consuming between 160g and 190g of the recommended 230g a day but then white stuff tends to bloat me.
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 604 Member
    I have been eating 2100 calories a day with a lot of good fats, slightly lowered carbs and higher protein. Low fat makes me really hungry, i need to eat more fats to feel full. And with low fat comes processed. No thanks. I eat whole, clean foods as much as possible, eating full fat, low processed foods and it's working wonders for me.

I'm eating fat and losing fat... believe me.
  • I've always done either low carb or low calorie diets. Well, I joined a program at the Y that tracks fat grams while watching sugar intake. I'm really struggling with this diet. I feel hungry all the time and I’m having trouble finding things to eat that are low in fat, filling and good for you.

In our meetings they are constantly brining up low-fat processed foods, pretzels, fiber one bars, fat free dressings, etc. I’m really struggling because I’ve always heard to stay away from processed foods and that anything labeled fat-free and low-fat is usually packed with other bad fillers to add taste.

I eat a lot of raw fruits and vegetables and I love broth based soups but I’m always hungry. The diet allows me 27 fat grams per day and my calorie intake is never over 1,200, it’s usually closer to 1,000. I feel like the foods I eat are good for me but I need something more filling.

Any suggestions / recipes would be greatly appreciated.

The most important thing is to find a diet that works for *you*. From what you write, this is not it for you. I would find something else.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Not only do low fat diets not work for long term, they are not healthy. Really, most people have already figured out that low fat doesn't work after 20 years of beating the dead horse and getting sicker and fatter. You are getting clear messages that it is not working for you and not healthy for your body; why do you want to continue with it?

I have resolved many, many health problems by eating the way I do. My diary is open if you are interested. Oh, and my weight loss has been effortless and free of cravings and hunger.

Edit: limiting to 27 grams of fat per day... someone should be sued. Please stop and reconsider the logic of limiting a necessary macro so severely. Our brains do not function well without healthy fats, including saturated. Do you think it's a coincidence that depression, eating disroders, increasing obesity and diabetes have increased as people cut their fat intake and increase sugar, grains, and processed "low fat" products?
    People haven't cut fats. The actual data shows that people are eating more fat now than they were in the 70s, in addition to eating more calories now.

Also, your fat is a component of your brain, it's got nothing to do with brain function. Your brain requires glucose for proper functioning.