Deficit + "Newbie" Strength Gains = No Change?

Options
I've been watching my calories for a couple of months now. Pretty consistently, I've lost 1lb-1.5lbs. The past week, without having changed /anything/ in my dietary routine, I have stalled. I understand that stalling is a normal thing and I'm not too upset about it.

Please don't leave comments asking if I've suddenly started eating more or if I watch every single thing that goes into my mouth and measure it correctly (the answer is no and yes, respectively.) I'm not concerned that I'm not losing weight; I'm confident it will come down soon.

However, going back to the real question: according to my scale, although I've stalled on the actual weight number, my fat % has continued to go down. Also according to my scale, when I was losing weight before, I was losing considerably more muscle mass than fat mass. (I realize the scale is not the most accurate place to be having fat percentages read but it's all I've got so bare with me.)

I would do measurements to compare but I only started measuring a few days ago so I'm sure I wouldn't see any change.

The primary change I've had in past couple of weeks I've been strength training three times a week, full body. I'm very weak, so I'm seeing results quite quickly. I understand that being a total newbie to weight lifting (first 4-6 months of training) means that I can see some modest gains. Adding on the fact that I'm obese, I believe this could explain things.

Is it possible, because I see the number not changing but the fat percentage going down, that I'm losing fat and gaining muscle at the same rate? Or am I deluding myself and I should just consider this week to be a wash?

ETA: Reference http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Although everyone wants to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, it isn't possible . . . UNLESS you are an overweight newbie . . . or on performance enhancing drugs. Which one is it?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    More likely you're storing some extra water for muscle repair from your new routine. Gaining muscle at a deficit and for a woman is pretty much impossible.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I would say no. Women in particular have trouble gaining muscle on a bulk, let alone on a deficit. Even if you had small noob gains I would think it wouldn't be even close to stalling your weight loss completely.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    More likely you're storing some extra water for muscle repair from your new routine.

This^ Make sure you give your muscles enough rest between workouts and drink plenty of water. It will come off and you will see results on the scale. Keep up the good work.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    Although everyone wants to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, it isn't possible . . . UNLESS you are an overweight newbie . . . or on performance enhancing drugs. Which one is it?

Overweight newbie, as I explained fully in my first post?
  • guroprincess
    Options
    More likely you're storing some extra water for muscle repair from your new routine. Gaining muscle at a deficit and for a woman is pretty much impossible.
    I would say no. Women in particular have trouble gaining muscle on a bulk, let alone on a deficit. Even if you had small noob gains I would think it wouldn't be even close to stalling your weight loss completely.

Can you provide some sort of citation that refutes the science in my link in the first post? Sorry to be skeptical, and I know retaining water is a possibility, but yeah.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Can you provide some sort of citation that refutes the science in my link in the first post?

No citation here from me but I started at 170 lbs at 5'5" and strength training. I actually have never stalled more then a day or two. Drink plenty of water and be patient? Or you can just believe you're making mad gains.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    More likely you're storing some extra water for muscle repair from your new routine.

This is the most likely scenario. You may have has slight newbie gains but in 3 weeks that would be a pound at most. The rest is likely water and glycogen. It is reflecting on your scale as a lower body fat % because water adds to lean body mass. So you may have slightly lost some body fat and gained some lean mass (possible some muscle, for sure water/glycogen). Right now, I think you are in the ideal situation. Just keep at it. Over time, you will see your weight start to decrease again.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    The body fat measurements from a scale are not going to be something that you want to base your whole theory on.
    Factors such as body type, body temperature, hydration, and recent exercise can have a noteworthy impact on the number you see on the scale. Even wet or sweaty feet can skew the results.
    from http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/body-fat-scales-do-they-really-work.html#b
    Body fat scales are available for home use. These work by sending a small, harmless electrical current through the body to detect fat and lean tissue, providing a reading of your body fat percentage. Because these measurements can change according to the time of day and fluid and food intake, the results are most accurate if you can take the measurements at the same time each day. The devices overall likely vary in accuracy, but they can be good for tracking changes over time.
    This one has good explanations of accurate methods to get body fat % http://www.medicinenet.com/weight_scales_dont_tell_the_whole_story/views.htm

Though you are not gaining weight this article http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read is good for explaning what might happen when you start a new workout. Not EVERYONE stalls / gains when they start working out - I didn't and after almost 2 months of weight lifting I am still losing. I didn't take measurements yet but I am definitely seeing a little more definition than I had before.

Just keep doing what you are doing and take measurements ;)
  • mmapags
    Options
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    If you just started strength training, I expect you've got some muscle swelling. That's basically just water retention and it'll make you weigh a bit more. Stick with it and you'll see the scale move downwards again.

Muscle take a long time to put on-- especially in women-- so I doubt you'll ever put on muscle at the same rate you lose fat.

Good on you for starting strength training, btw. A slight calorie deficit and weight training is a great way to lose weight.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    Thanks for the links guys, specifically this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read

Very good reads. I am absorbing all of this information for sure. This post explains the water retention a little better and I think that is probably more likely what's happening than actually gaining so much strength (and it seems to be scientifically based which is good for my brain hahaha.)

mmapags: That was the article I linked in my first post lol
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Gurprincess,

You've gotten some great links and information here.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that you said you are "very weak". I think that's a red flag. I've been weight training on and off for ten years and I've never felt very weak, and I strength train pretty intensely now and I don't feel weak.

Maybe that's something to look at? :smile:
  • mmapags
    Options
    Thanks for the links guys, specifically this one:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/595473-why-the-scale-goes-up-with-a-new-workout-program-must-read

Very good reads. I am absorbing all of this information for sure. This post explains the water retention a little better and I think that is probably more likely what's happening than actually gaining so much strength (and it seems to be scientifically based which is good for my brain hahaha.)

mmapags: That was the article I linked in my first post lol

LOl! So it was. I need to get my money back for that speed reading course. :embarassed:
  • guroprincess
    Options
    Gurprincess,

You've gotten some great links and information here.

The only thing I'm concerned about is that you said you are "very weak". I think that's a red flag. I've been weight training on and off for ten years and I've never felt very weak, and I strength train pretty intensely now and I don't feel weak.

Maybe that's something to look at? :smile:

Well I mean I'm very weak as in I don't have very much strength built up over the years (never had to actually work those muscles.) I don't mean I feel weak/tired afterwards.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options

I hear that a lot, but it just isn't true-- unless you're an elite athlete who already has low bodyfat and a lot of muscle. For ninety-nine percent of the population, it's very possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Fat is the body's emergency calorie reserve. If you're eating a healthy diet with a slight caloric deficit, your body will grab the extra calories it needs for repairs from its fat stores.

It's like saying you would never recover from a paper cut if you're on a caloric deficit. Of course you will-- and muscle repair is the same process. A pricier process, sure, but still just healing.
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree - these are great reads, thanks. I started working out in September, and I played with the same pound and a half for over 6 weeks, despite my mad logging skills. Given how sore I was, I was pretty sure it was water.
  • mmapags
    Options

I hear that a lot, but it just isn't true-- unless you're an elite athlete who already has low bodyfat and a lot of muscle. For ninety-nine percent of the population, it's very possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Fat is the body's emergency calorie reserve. If you're eating a healthy diet with a slight caloric deficit, your body will grab the extra calories it needs for repairs from its fat stores.

It's like saying you would never recover from a paper cut if you're on a caloric deficit. Of course you will-- and muscle repair is the same process. A pricier process, sure, but still just healing.

I'd say you want to take a look at the Lyle McDonald article that has been posted (multiple times lol) It is not all as cut and dry as all that and the effects diminish with time.