people who work out in the AM

Options
Hey just curious as to what time people go to bed to work out in the morning. I mean early morning too like 5am, before school or work.

I work 830a-5p Tuesday through Friday and on Tuesday and Thursday nights I have school form 5:30a-8:20p. I would like to switch to to 5am workouts rather than 6pm workouts. As of right now I struggle to get out of bed around 6:30am to get ready for work and I fall asleep around 10pm.

Is it going to be one of those things where I'll have to suck it up and just do then eventually I'll just get use to it?

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I am usually at the gym by 5-5:15am. I am up at 4:05am, eat breakfast and dink around on the computer (for way too long). I try to be in bed by 8:30pm. I started this schedule just over 3 years ago when I got a job in the big city and no longer worked from home. It was a HUGE change, but I have had to suck it up and just do it. Sorry for the cliche.....:flowerforyou:
  • tirola
    tirola Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:15 to workout at 5 and then I work from 6:45-5:00pm. I've been doing this for 12 weeks now. When I first started, I was honestly in bed by about 7:00 every night, just because I was exhausted! It took about 6 weeks for me to adjust and now I'm typically in bed around 8:45-9:00. Getting up early still isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination, but it feels great to have my workout over and done with before the day really even starts. I lay out all of my workout gear the night before as well as get my coffee pot ready for the next morning. That way I basically wake up, roll out of bed, throw everything on and head out the door. I find it's easier if I don't have to scramble to find things in the morning!

Best of luck to you!
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I usually get up at 3:45 durn the week, and get to the gym just before 5:00 am. It is the only time I can get a workout in.

On the weekends, I sleep in until 6:00 before heading out for a run.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I can't/won't.don't.

One of those reasons is I hate leaving my bed.
    Two of those reasons is I hate my alarm clock (if I even hear it)
    Three of those reasons- more importantly - is I go to bed WAY to late.

Adjust that- and you'll be way more successful in rising early... and then don't give yourself ANY opportunity to back out- just get up- and do it.
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 5:00, and either walking or at the gym, by 6:00 a.m.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I go to bed between 9:30 and 10:30. I am usually at the gym by 5:20.
  • Broderick50
    Broderick50 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    For me I'm usually in bed between 9 and 10 when I do early morning. I only sleep like 6 hours at a time so it works fine for me.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I try to be asleep by 10, but usually it's 10:30. I'm usually up around 5:30, eat breakfast and work out (I work out at home, though, so no commuting time for the gym).

Full disclosure, though, my alarm clock is a 1-year old, so I have no "snooze bar" option. Without her waking me, I haven't quite figured out how to motivate myself to actually get up at that time.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I tried 5 AM workouts once or twice, but figured out that is not the best time for me...

So currently I workout at 3 pm right after work.I work from 7-3 and live close to my work. So I get my workouts done before kids are back from school, then shower, have my protein shake and then go get the little one from daycare...
  • sassypants0923
    sassypants0923 Posts: 7,188 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:15 AM and workout at 5:00 AM... I try to go to sleep by 9:00 PM

I'm very much a morning person.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    It all depends on my schedule...If I have to be at work after 630AM, then I work out in the morning, if I have to be at work by 5AM, then I work out after work.

I prefer it when I have to close (be at work by 1030AM), because the gym is quieter. If I am there between 5AM-8AM, then there are a LOT of soldiers using the gym for PT and it can get a little uncomfortable, particularly during squats!
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    We just started getting back into the morning workout routine. While my alarm is set for 6 yesterday my husband woke me up around 5:40 and today it was 5:50. This gets us to the gym before 6:30 and the workout is done and we're leaving the gym by 8/8:15. It's easier to get up early with the time change because it's brighter out. I also prefer morning workouts because the later the day gets the busier my husband gets which means the gym gets pushed to the back burner and we end up not going. It's rather nice to be home before 9 a.m. and have the workout done for the day. Not only that but I have the option of working something in later on if I want to.

I try to get to bed early: 9/9:30 to make sure I get an adequate amount of sleep. Once in the morning groove it gets easier, although one morning of sleeping in can undo it all. It really is something you'll just have to suck up and do.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I try to be in bed by 9:30. My alarm goes off at 4:30, I'm at the gym by 5:10.

It sucks at first, but it's AMAZING to get out of work and have your whole night free.

Have everything ready the night before, and as soon as your alarm clock wakes you up, GET OUT OF BED. Laying there isn't going to help. Get up and turn on as many lights as you can- I also turn on the morning news and turn it up loud. I throw my clothes on, hair up, protein shake down, and go.

It also helps to make friends at the gym- even if it's just saying "Hey" every morning. I have a few acquaintances at the gym who will call me out when they don't see me one morning- it's a little motivation.
  • TonyaRColeman
    Options
    I usually go to bed right after the 10:00 pm news and I get up at 5:00 am and am the gym by 5:50 am. Our fitness camp begins at 6 am and lasts for 1 hour. Sometimes I go to to the 5 am fitness camp in that case I'm in bed by 9:30 pm and I get up at 4:00 am and exercise from 5:00-6:00 am. I love morning workouts and I do not consider myself a "morning person". I do it in the morning because I can get it over with and I don't go the whole day dreading it and eventually talking myself out of it. I have also found that when I work out in the morning I am less likely to eat bad foods during the day because I don't want to defeat my workouts. Good luck to you!
  • _Tara_R
    _Tara_R Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45 to workout. I am normally in bed about 9.
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't sleep.

Generally go to bed between 12 and 1am. Alarm goes off 5.20 and I'm out the door by 5.40 if i'm running.
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Try to be in bed at 9/9:30, wake up at 5:20, workout, work at 7:30 till 4:30.

I am NOT a morning person at all, so have to drag myself out of bed, but it feels so much better if I am done my workout for the day and don't have to fit it in at night anymore:)
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yes.. you have to just suck it up and do it! It is never fun getting out of bed but it is great to get that workout done. It sets a healthy tone for the rest of the day.
  • alphabull
    alphabull Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm usually up for 4:50 and start my workout by 5:30. I'm in bed for 9:00 and asleep by 10:00. I've found that putting the alarm clock in the bathroom forces me to get up to turn it off, it helps get me out of bed. If its on the night stand I'll just hit snooze. Also, one of the gym trainers told me (and It seems to work) clap your hands 10 times hard first thing when you wake up. There are a lot of nerves in your hands that snap your brain awake when you clap. Good luck!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I try to be asleep by 10:30 pm and my alarm goes off at 4:30 am. It's not techincally enough sleep but it's the only time I can stay consistent with my workouts. That's 4 days a week and I "sleep in" the other 3 so it all evens out for me. I'm a morning person though so while I don't love getting out of bed, it's not difficult for me either.