Weighing 101??

Options
Ok so I bought my very first scales! I would always just weigh at Mom's whenever we were there. One of my kids discovered one day that you can get on and off her scales and every time it will give a different reading. We laughed it off as being moms old cheap scales. Well I just bought a not so cheap weight tracker scales that you can program in your target, goal and your height and it gives your current weight, how much you have to go to meet your goal and gives your BMI. Very Cool!
I promise I wont continue to do this but I was playing with my new toy and did the on a gain off again dance and sure enough it fluctuates a few ounces each time. Is that normal? And so do you just get on and go with what the first reading is or keep on till you get the lowest? Haha KIDDING!
Also how often do you all do your weigh in and does it matter if its first thing in the morning or last thing at night?
Since I started Monday with the weight Mom's scale gave me last Sunday nt, I figure I will just make my weigh in in the morning and then every Monday morning. Does that sound about right?
Oh and if anyone is wondering my new scales did weigh within a few ounces of what Mom's say so I wont be posting Ive lost five pounds this week or anything like that !:laugh:

Replies

• amberand3
    Options
    that sounds good to me i usually weigh in every wednesday in the evening so its more accurate but have missed a couple times and had to weigh in the next day :)
  • patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh in the evening because that is when I weigh the most. I know that my weight is never more than what I see on the scale in the evening. I *try* to only weigh once per week, but I frequently weigh more often than that *just to see* my weight. :o

My scale (a fancy one, too) fluctuates by a few ounces, too. So, I weigh myself three times in a row and then average the weight.
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    I usually weigh in the evening because that is when I weigh the most. I know that my weight is never more than what I see on the scale in the evening. I *try* to only weigh once per week, but I frequently weigh more often than that *just to see* my weight. :o

My scale (a fancy one, too) fluctuates by a few ounces, too. So, I weigh myself three times in a row and then average the weight.

Thank you! Ok then my official weigh in will be tonight rather than in the morning! Thanks!
  • sajar_06
    sajar_06 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    hey,
    I take the first weight that I get from the scales. I weigh in the mornings but once a week on Sunday morning is the weight I log. I make sure to wear the same clothes and weigh at the same time for more accuracy. God Bless, Brenda

CONGRATS on the smoking. You are doing a great job with that as well as your weight loss. You go girl. :flowerforyou:
  • animatedbecca
    Options
    Thanks Brenda :)
  • tjbeer
    tjbeer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I always weigh in on a wednesday morning and always take the first reading that it shows.

Happy weighing

Tx
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    i always weigh in on my "monday" at work which is usually a sunday morning... its one of those old scales where you slide the thing over until its level (forget what they are called- doctors used to have them in their offices). i weigh myself probably every day at work and at home but the digital scale at home is always different. i prefer the work scale!
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have a moderately priced EatSmart scale (34.95 on Amazon) .. all it does is weight but I can honestly say it has never flucuated. (if you move it you have to reset it but that's it). I get the same weight even if I do it 4 times in a row.

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Premium-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B002MK6QKO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1281896799&sr=1-4
  • SFinn
    SFinn Posts: 43
    Options
    :laugh: Maybe stepping on and off the scale so much makes you lose a few ounces. haha just kidding...mine does that too though...

I tend to way everyday, but only record on Sundays. I go with the first reading I get. As long as it is only a couple of ounces and not off by pounds each time I don't worry too much. Maybe I'll start to worry when I don't get around 2 pound losses each week but for now...I wouldn't worry.
  • DwightJenkins
    DwightJenkins Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My scale weighs to the tenth of a pound but I never count the tenths... I always round DOWN to the pound, even if it's 9 tenths. My rationale for this is first, scales do vary from each other, and they also vary a few ounces from time to time with themselves. I'm looking to lose pounds, not ounces and over the long term even if my method gives me a more generous reading one week, I'll have to make it up the next to have the same loss. I'm comfortable knowing my weight, 'plus or minus a pound' and I don't have anxiety over what I can't control anyway.

Or more simply put, "Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things"
  • emsmom2k
    Options
    I have a weight watcher's scale that I bought at costco and u could get on it 10 times and it will always be the same to the ounce. Plus, it always weighed me the same as the scale at the meetings so I guess you could say it is pretty accurate.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and my bathroom scale is like that. I can gain/lose 1lb justby stepping on and off within minutes. I use my wii now and it rarely fluctuates. I always weigh first thing in the morning after I use the washroom. I need to see the lower number ;)
    Also I have found out something odd. I always weigh more on Fridays. I have no idea why but in weighing every day Friday always shows a gain, even if only a few ounces. Then on Saturday I go back to where I was Thursday or drop a little.
  • jacksonalan
    Options
    I have one of the sliding weight scales like the old doctors' offices. (Current doc has a tall digital model - no sliding bars). I'm all for positive reinforcement... so, I weigh myself after visiting the commode and before stepping into the shower in the morning. I'll do it every other morning. It's helpful to me to look back on what I ate, my activity level and how my glucose was affected since I was recently diagnosed as at Type 2 diabetic who is also on medication for an under active thyroid.