What's for lunch?

Options
I'm wondering what all you lovely MFP people pack for lunch to bring to work. I'm a fan of salads, mixed veggies with pasta, and veggie burgers (I'm trying to stay vegan).

I used to buy lunch often, but that was getting pricey, and I've also found that I make better choices and stick to my plan if I bring my own lunch from home.

What are some of your favorite lunches, or what did you bring for lunch today? I could use some inspiration for new ideas!

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom but if you have access to a microwave Morning Star buffalo wings (meatless, of course) are freaking delicious. Oh, and I'm having a golden delicious apple. I'm not vegan but I'm pretty sure most of the morning star products are vegan friendly :) I love them.
  • danicool9590
    danicool9590 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My favorite go to is a Grilled chicken wrap ( I use whole wheat wraps mostly but you can pick a wrap of your choice) with spinach, tomatoes some finely chopped carrots. Sometimes I will put fat free swiss on it. I like a bit of crushed red pepper in there too for flavor and I will put a touch of dressing.

Obviously I did not read the post just the topic I missed the part of you staying vegan at first. Sorry!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I'm not great with vegan stuff, but maybe some of these will be adaptable ideas: I'm obsessed with salami/tomato/mustard sandwiches right now. Past lunch obsessions have included avocado-tuna salad with diced beets, deli turkey wrapped around sliced tomatoes and olives, smoked salmon and cream cheese (I used Laughing Cow) on toasted sandwich thins, grilled chicken and spinach salads with lots of colorful sweet peppers, lentils cooked with stewed tomatoes and garam masala, and egg salad sandwiches with veggies & dip on the side.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Typically I bring left-overs from the night before or a baked potato with fruit and veggies.
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    My favorite go to is a Grilled chicken wrap ( I use whole wheat wraps mostly but you can pick a wrap of your choice) with spinach, tomatoes some finely chopped carrots. Sometimes I will put fat free swiss on it. I like a bit of crushed red pepper in there too for flavor and I will put a touch of dressing.

Obviously I did not read the post just the topic I missed the part of you staying vegan at first. Sorry!

Oooh I forgot about wraps! Great idea!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    For quick microwavable food, you could always go with Amy's organic frozen lunches. They are vegetarian (I know some are vegan, but I think others may not be, so you'd need to watch the labels).

Also Indian food. There are lots of vegan options, it stores well, and is quick to heat up. If you make it yourself you can watch the oil and keep it light if you want.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Leftovers. Today, it's pork ribs, baked beans, and veggies.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Today is a homemade Greek salad and homemade spaghetti and meatballs with whole wheat pasta. I already can't wait.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I work a traditional 8-5 job but I don't eat at work. I am lucky enough to be able to go home for my lunch break. One day per week I go out to lunch with my dad, for example today it will be Subway and I'll have my usual 6" flatbread veggie delight with cheese.

Typical work day lunches for me lately:

wrap with hummus, baby spinach, carrots, avocado, edamame & black beans

veggie burger patty on a Sandwich Skinny or slice of toast, with lettuce & onion

grilled cheese with mushrooms, onions or avocado added and a small side salad

crab nachos...10-12 chips with 1/3 pkg of imitation crab, bit of cheese, chopped green onion & salsa (microwaved 90 sec...yum)

leftovers (soup, curries, etc)...or side dishes doctored up into new "lunch dishes" - for example, last week's au gratin zucchini over some cooked wheat spaghetti with mushrooms & crushed dried red pepper added

of course, various salads are staples too. I eat pescetarian so that explains no beef/chicken etc

I drink water...and I do add fruit sometimes, or a tiny portion of baked goods if I've baked on the weekend previous.

ETA: sorry didn't realize you were vegan!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HALLOWEEN CANDY?????
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    Varies every day and is usually leftovers so today is the last 1/3 of ginormous burrito I had for lunch on Sunday and the other 1/2 cup black-eyed peas I had at lunch Monday. I'm also about to run across to the cafe to get a salad.

Ooo, Amy's is good and Tandoor Chef Indian dishes are delish!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    spaghetti with marinara and some grilled chicken breast that was marinated in a white wine balsamic and basil garlic marinade...steamed broccoli on the side.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe from the "Vegan with a Vengeance" cookbook:
    http://eatingappalachia.com/2012/10/02/vegan-with-a-vengeance-chickpea-broccoli-casserole/
    (i didn't have chives tho!)

I thought it looked so boring and healthy and bland i'd for sure have to add some cheese to make it taste good (i am attempting, rather feebly, to use less dairy) but it was DELICIOUS as it is! I had it over rice. So so good! It was fairly easy and cheap to make too which is always a plus. I used 2 cans of chickpeas not 3 and it still made enough for a few days of lunches! I do my best to make food ahead of time and prep lunch. In general they consist of foods I can make ahead and break into lunches - chili, pasta w/ veggies & a protein (usually beans or seitan) - cold or hot, etc.
  • henriettevanittersum
    Options
    Today:

Homemade chicken vegetable soup made from scratch from chicken (duh), carrots, corn, onion, red bell pepper, celery, parsley and Dr. Vogels herbal spice w/o salt. No thickeners. I usually make about 4 liters and freeze it in seperate 1 portion cantainers.

Homemade chia/sunflower/flax bread - 1 slice with butter, Gouda cheese (about 1 oz) and off the bone ham (2 slices),

an orange for "dessert"

and a cup of peppermint tea to wash it all down

Whopping 382 cal. lol. Keeps me full untill 4, then it's time for a snack. Today I have trail mix in my purse.
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Chicken wraps, kale salad, leftovers, Greek yogurt and seed mixture
  • ehaus443
    ehaus443 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I forgot to prepare anything so I ran through Panera and grabbed the Mediterranean Chicken salad. Pretty good, very plain, but just what I wanted (chicken, spinach/romaine, tomato, egg, bacon)

Oops. Clearly the opposite of vegan.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Every day is the same:

Market Basket - Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, 5 oz 163 calories
    Maple Grove Farms of Vermont - Sugar Free Balsamic Vinaigrette (34g Per 2t), 2 Tbsp. 5 calories
    Salad – 2 Cups 50 calories
    Baby Bell Mini - Light, 1 piece 50 calories
    Jessica Brick Oven - Tuscan Pane Whole Wheat Bread, 1 slice 80 calories

348 calories 50% carb 20% fat 30% protein

Its quick and easy, I make the salad and chicken on Sunday night and eat off it all week.