How often do you jump on the Scale?

Options

Replies

• CaptainMilda
    CaptainMilda Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday morning. Sometimes I might do a mid-week weigh-in but usually only on Sundays
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I only weigh every other day, at the same time and under the same conditions. That way I know that it's going to be as accurate as possible and helps to establish a trend.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Every dang morning and usually several times a day as motivation. Don't lecture me that I shouldn't....I already know that but it does work for me
  • persistandendure
    Options
    Every day, after work, in the evening...
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    My scale has a built in "grunt" feature when i step on it so i try not to do it too often. ;) thst and I'm pretty sure it records cussing.
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    2 to 3 times a month
  • TinTinTin111
    TinTinTin111 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Once or twice a week. :smile:
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I don't own a scale so I weigh once a week at the gym. This also means that my conditions are the same. I've eaten breakfast, had one tea and then left the house. I don't do it after my workout because how much water I drink varies depending on how hot it is, how thirsty I get etc.

Anyways, when I finally buy a scale, I think I'll continue to try and make it a once a week pattern. That seems to be the way that leads me to the most sanity.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Funnily since I started weighing every day the scale has been dropping (but that's because I've been stricter with my logging!!!)

I think it makes sense that you could correlate daily weighing with diligent logging. I weigh in every day, and I find that it keeps me mindful of my goals. I don't let fluctuations bother me, but then I've realized that I don't see many real fluctuations. I'm really consistent with my routine (what I eat, exercising, etc.)
  • Just_Wil
    Just_Wil Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Every day, record on Mondays.
  • psychdlc
    psychdlc Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Every single morning after going to the bathroom. I only record when it goes down - as long as I know I'm losing.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Once a day first thing in the morning but I only log my weight 1x a week on Mondays. I don't get myself crazy over the fluctuations. I just like being aware of what is going on. Measurements I will be doing 1x a month, the first of every month.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning on a scale that grabs each weigh-in by wifi and logs it. I have a terrible time with the scale fluxuations if I only weigh myself weekly. Somehow having high or low days doesn’t bother me but the idea of working hard all week and finding myself gaining seemed depressing. My weight regularly moves 2 or 3 lbs per day and often up to 5 lbs per day. I charted my weight for a long time and realized that I would have had a gain about 1 out of 3 weeks even though I was losing steadily through the year I lost most of my weight. I also learned that my low weights were as damaging to my perception of my weight as my peak weights. I would see that low number and then become discouraged because I would often consider the low weight my “new” weight that I may not see again for another 5 to 10 days. I started using an average weight as my “actual” weight which brought me lasting sanity. I found Trendweight.com (free site) which automatically calculates my average or trending weight. This has been revolutionary for me. The website only uses the first weigh-in for any given day so you can jump on and off all day. It also extrapolates any day you miss. What I have found is that it is pretty hard to move my average weight and if my weight is trending lower then a bad meal or a bloated weigh-in doesn’t matter a bit. It also keeps me from going crazy chasing unrealistic low weights. Now that I am significantly in maintenance, I use it to make sure my weight does start trending higher and as soon as it does, I lower my calories until the trend levels or shows a slight decrease (I am aiming at a 1-lb per month to lost the last 10 lbs and hit an ideal weight).
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, first thing in the morning. But its just data. I go up and down so I track my lows over time. I am looking at trends and patterns. If I go up the following day it doesnt bother me because there are SO many factors that contribute to fluctuations. Going up half a pound overnight is not real gain. I don't understand when people panic or get discouraged, even the weekly weighers. Fluctuations happen. Seeing nothing is more worrisome to me.

My weight is not connected my Identity and neither is it a governing factor in my continued happiness. Yes, I would like to lose another 20-30lbs and I am working towards it but those are issues external to both my identity and happiness. Weigh all you want and whenever you want, just don't confuse your weight with your core identity.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Since I'm in maintenance I usually weigh about once a week, but I'm sorta getting tired of bothering with it, so after the holidays I'll probably drop back to 1-2 times a month. Unless I see a trend of losing or unintentionally gaining, I don't see any reason to give it much thought outside of the infrequent weigh-in.
  • bretz19
    Options
    I get on every Monday morning and it is hard to stick with this. I have found myself cheating and getting on the scale on a Wed. However, if I only get on the scale on Monday morning I see the real results :)
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily... in the morning, naked, after using the bathroom.

I am quite obsessive about it. I get excited to wake up each morning to weigh myself -- because I'm consistently losing! I thought it was a bit excessive so I tried to not weigh myself for a week and I just couldn't do it. I decided to take my scale to my mother's house so that I could wait a full week between weigh ins. It was ALL I THOUGHT ABOUT. I couldn't wait the full week and ended up getting my scale back and weighing myself. In fact, I started a similar thread that week asking how often people weigh themselves.

My weight doesn't fluctuate up much. I think it's because I am very conscious of how much salt I eat each day. Never above 2500.

I think weighing yourself more than once per day can be a bit counter productive. You will weigh your least first thing in the morning so stick with that number for the day! :smile:

ETA: My official weigh-ins are on Saturdays, which is the weight I use each week to update MFP.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I don't jump on mine, I'm afraid I'll break it. I tend to just step on to it.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself Mon, Wed and Fri morning....
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    Rarely but ill show you all my picture progress collection!
    The mirror is nicer ;-)