Almonds and Calories - Worth It?

Options
13»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Does it really make sense to use almonds as a snack if you're trying to eat at a deficit, they don't seem like a very good "bang for your buck: food option...

Am I missing anything?

Nope, you aren't missing anything. They are a terrible bang-for-the-buck, and proof that food isn't supposed to come in easily accessible cans and jars. :laugh:

Extremely dense calorically, so use sparingly, or plan accordingly!
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    I eat them twice a day, 25 in the morning as a snack and 25 in the afternoon as a snack while I am at work. Just plain, raw almonds and I think they are quite tasty!
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If you can control the portion size, they are very healthy and filling for a before work-out snack. I'd eat 7-14 almonds and a handful of baby carrots or a small apple to fill up. I wouldn't rely on almonds or nuts alone as a snack because you can easily overeat and add extra calories. Combine it with fruit or veggies and you are good to go!!
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    They're not worth it to me, but then... I don't like almonds unless they're covered in chocolate. I used to eat them all the time because I thought they were a good, healthy snack with the added benefit of some extra protein.

But now... I skip the almonds and just have ice cream as a snack. Waaaaaaay more satisfying and delicious.
  • judyberkowitz
    Options
    I found that eating nuts curbed my hanger better than bars, chocolate etc. So I grab my 21 hazelnuts or 23 almonds and I am satisfied in a few minutes.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Not when you're cutting imo. Too many cals, too little volume.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a lot about eating nuts as a healthy snack. I really like almonds and have been getting plain, dry roasted, unsalted almonds from the fresh market. They're quite tasty!

I just added my snack of them (which I haven't eaten all of yet) of probably 2oz of almonds, which to me doesn't seem like a lot, and came out with approximately 340 calories.

While the 10grams of extra protein is nice, I could just eat a protein bar, save 100calories, and get an extra ~20grams of protein.

Does it really make sense to use almonds as a snack if you're trying to eat at a deficit, they don't seem like a very good "bang for your buck: food option...

Am I missing anything?

Yes. You dont seem to comprehend that fat is not the devil. The End.

ETA: Last week one of my day's macro breakdown was:

63% FAT
    6% Carbs
    31% Protein

P.S. Please send me all your leftover almonds. They are not only delicious they are kinda expensive. Thanks

I'm with this guy. I freakin love almonds. Gimme some healthy fats any day. :drinker:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Why do people keep saying almonds are unprocessed? Unless you have a tree in your backyard, they are machine harvested, machine shelled, pasteurized, sometimes roasted... Nuts are extremely processed snacks. Damn healthy, but very much processed.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I eat some before or after a workout ..... everything in moderation :drinker:
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I eat them all the time! For me they are worth it. I like the fat and protein they provide without the extra carbs of a protein bar. (I limit my carbs due to T2 diabetes) They are tasty and filling to me and absolutely worth it. I just weigh out however much I want to spend calories on and leave it at that.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Unprocessed
    Uh no.

Anyways, all this time i was considering a handful of almonds to be a pretty filling, low cal snack. Da faq?.

Any diet plan that cuts out nutritious food that you enjoy(or any food you enjoy eating for that matter) needs to GTFO
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on whether you like them. If you do then go for it!
    For me, I don't go nuts for nuts :P. They aren't my favourite thing to eat and don't leave me satisfied so I generally don't eat them. Although sometimes I'll add them to yogurt for breakfast or something.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yes!!
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I like to pair 14 raw almonds with a 50 calorie cheese stick for a 150 calorie snack. They taste good together and the protein and fat keeps me full, even though it may not be that big in volume.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I looove them as a snack, but I weigh them out on my food scale to make sure I don't go over the serving size (generaly 24 almonds). There are also 100 calorie packs you can buy.