C25K Question

Options
Has anyone figured out the true amount of calories we are burning during the 9 weeks of this program?

I'm simply going in and figuring up 12 minutes of brisk walking - then 8 minutes of jogging. (I'm only on Day 3 of Week 2) and coming up w/ approx 155-170 calories burned.

Anyone have any set and actual calories that we burn? Thanks! Laurie

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    The calories burned are never the same for two people since it depends on your weight, height, and what you consider walking/jogging. Best would be to get a heart rate monitor or when I did intervals with out it I would find out my distance and average out my mph.
  • shrublet
    shrublet Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, I use the app Runkeeper which tracks your route using the phone's GPS, and also keeps track of your distance, pace and calories. It's a godsend and I love it- plus you can program the intervals into it to give you prompts when to run and walk.
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM so I am able to track cals burned. I'm 38 yrs old and weigh 121 lbs. It seems like I always burn abount 200. In the earlier weeks I buned a little less and in the later weeks a little more. I thought in the later weeks I would burn significantly more, but I think my fitness level has increased through the process so it's not as easy for me to burn cals.
  • Scncartist
    Scncartist Posts: 173
    Options
    I don't have a HRM, I use two sites to figure it out:

http://www.trails.com/googlemap.aspx or mapmyrun.com will tally the total length of the run.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php will determine roughly how fast I go and give me an idea of calories burnt.

Then I come here, tell it how fast I was going, for how long, and I'll give the average of all the calories I used up.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I just finished week 2 and according to my HRM I burn anywhere from 275 to 315. I am not sure why I am burning less yet running more...