tingly feet using the Elliptical

Options
I've always been a walker and habitually used the treadmill. One day I looked over at someone on the Elliptical, who got on about the same time as I had, and noticed they were burning more calories. So I've decided to do it to get the same results. I started out doing it at ten minutes and have now built up to thirty - forty minutes. I'd like to stay on it longer, since I've discovered actually like working out by this, but by the time I've reached thirty minutes, I've noted my feet are tingling all over and feel like they've fallen asleep. It gets uncomfortable for sure. Then I get off just to get circulation going in my feet and climb onto the treadmill just to keep doing cardio for another thirty minutes.

Is this normal for my feet? I've lost about 8 lbs since I've started going to the gym, but I'm still heavy for my 5 ' 2" frame, weighing less than 200 lbs. I didn't know if this was just something to do with my weight, or the way I stand on the machine, although I do try to shift my momentum and weight on it at times during the workout. I try to keep my heartrate over 120 and the resistance at 4. Any suggestions on why this happens or if the tingling will go away? Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks.

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Check your shoes they might have been tied too tight. I tend to let them be slightly looser on an ellitpcal then on the treadmill.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue using the elliptical for more than 10 minutes. I've found that new shoes helped, but didn't get rid of the problem. I have gel inserts in my sneakers that help. But what works best is that I rock my feet back and forth every few minutes to get the circulation going again. Or I pick my feet up slightly when I take each step. It just helps to alleviate the constant pressure from the elliptical.
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That exact same thing happens to me!! I have to finish my cardio out on the treadmill too :grumble:

My shoes are fine and my trainer said it happens to lots of people, but doesn't know why. Maybe it's my high arches in my feet? :ohwell:

I would also like anyone else's opinion on this.
  • Vanessa1977
    Options
    Walking is my go to excersise and I noticed when I walk my fingers get very white and sometimes numb.
    I had asked numerous doctors about this and finally my massage therapist told me it is because all my back and neck muscles are tight and poor circulation from my weight.

Try some stretching, hopefully you will notice a difference as your weight adjust.
  • shannon_miller
    Options
    I had this issue even when I was alot thinner, what worked for me then was to move my feet around a bit changing position slightly. I think its the constant pressure on the same spot on the foot that cause them to go numb and tingly.
  • starstealing
    Options
    imo, there's nothing wrong with taking breaks. i take a break every 20 min or so to alleviate my numb, tingling feet and finish out a full 60 min workout this way.

rocking your feet like one of the previous posters said also helps.

also, try focusing hard on centering your weight toward the middle of your foot (between the heel and ball).

hope it helps! congrats on your weight loss thus far!
  • lisafrancis629
    Options
    I have been using the elliptical for years and this used to happen to me when I first started. Loosen my shoe laces and it cured the problem for me.
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    i always wondered about this too... i only last 7-15 minutes before i have to stop, and i'd be jealous working out with my cousin because she could go on forever! after the tingling, one foot would just get completely tight and hurt like heck! i tried it out today and lasted 10 minutes, but i think i'll stick to the treadmill- i just up my incline and keep moving!
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was having same problem but it wasn't just the elipitical.. I was getting tingly numb feet with every exercise. I went to podiatrist who said I have a neuroma .. got an orthotic insert. I use that for walking and don't use the elipitical as much as I used to. I think it has helped a bit but I also invested in a couple of different pairs of sneakers - I use the one most appropriate to the type of workout I am doing. Nike Mystic for dance style and cross trainers for everything else.
  • tjbeer
    tjbeer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue using the elliptical for more than 10 minutes. I've found that new shoes helped, but didn't get rid of the problem. I have gel inserts in my sneakers that help. But what works best is that I rock my feet back and forth every few minutes to get the circulation going again. Or I pick my feet up slightly when I take each step. It just helps to alleviate the constant pressure from the elliptical.

This is what I do and it means I can keep going for 30 mins.

Tx
  • SFinn
    SFinn Posts: 43
    Options
    This happens to me all the time. I think it's a combination of my shoes being to tight and having a tendency to do the elliptical on my tip toes. This keeps the blood from fully reaching my toes and making them tingle when I put my foot down.

When it happens I just keep my foot flat for a few minutes to allow the blood to flow properly...
  • gussde
    gussde Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been using the elliptical for years and this used to happen to me when I first started. Loosen my shoe laces and it cured the problem for me.

This is what worked for me. Laces were cutting off circulation. Almost never have the problem now.
  • snyder2teach
    Options
    Thank you! I was becoming concerned that the more I push my walks, the more my hands go white and eventually blue if I don't cut the time. My dr had no clue :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have one at home and do it barefoot-no issues
    Go to the gym-tingly numb feet

you should see me sneak my sneaks off at the gym :laugh: I just wear black socks so it is not so noticable.
  • deedun
    deedun Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    This always happens to me and I found that keeping the pressure on the heels instead of the balls of your feet works perfectly and there is no need to get off.

Also rocking your feet and lifting them up every now and then eases it off but to prevent it just ensure that you lean back a bit to keep the pressure on your heels. (like what you would you do squats!) It takes practice but it works.
  • txladybug41
    txladybug41 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Wow. Terrific advice from everyone. So glad I wasn't the only one who have felt this problem. I think I'll try a combination of these to see what works best. You all are awesome for the support and the responses. :heart:
  • sissytx
    sissytx Posts: 50
    Options
    Also my doctor told me to replace my workout shoes every 6 months.
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A trainer suggested using intervals of the reverse function on the elliptical, if the machine has it, for numb feet. That seems to help me some.
  • kangababy
    kangababy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i have this problem on the ellipitcal for l ng periods of time and when I run at 1.5miles excatly!I actually when to the orthopedic for it!

So here is what I know...
    If it starts in the foot then it is either your shoes are too tight or you haave a Neoroma (this little thing on the nerve between your toes andm y spelling could be wrong) that makes it go to sleep. If it is your shoes just get new ones or loosen them up. If it is a neuroma then steriod injections or surgery..

If before you foot goes to sleep your calves get tight and start to hurt then you have compression in your calf musle that is cutting off teh circualation to your foot and my dr said the best thing for that was stretching (so I am going to start yoga) or surgery to go in a cut a relieve the pressure! or stop running!