80lbs in 8 months, does that sound reasonable?

In the past 3 months I've lost about 35ish pounds, I started out around 255 and now I'm down to 220... This was done with mostly diet change and very little exercise other than walking a couple times a week. Now I've started to 'fast walk'/jog almost every night wearing one of those sauna/trash bag suits you can buy at walmart that make you sweat buckets and the scale is just not moving... my lower body is very sore so maybe I am just gaining muscle?

My husband is in the military and we are moving to a new unit in about 8 months. I don't want to be the gross fat wife that hides away when we should be meeting new people in a new place. So I want to lose the weight by the time we are ready to move, does this sound like a reasonable goal or am I setting the bar too high? I felt so good when the weight was coming off, but now that I'm doing more it seems like it has slowed down and now I'm confused... I'm also drinking a lot of protein shakes after work outs and to keep me fuller longer, is this messing me up?

If anyone could bounce some ideas with me that would be great... a couple things though, because of my weight, I can't run very long, and I get bad shin splints. I have to take things really slow and low impact until I get to a lower weight. Also my abdominal muscles are weak from child birth so I can only do a few sit ups before I get this weird painful cramp thing, trying to slowly rebuild those muscles over time without tearing anything. And If anyone could help me understand a little better on how to build up my stamina, that's one thing I have always had trouble with. Sometimes it seems like the only way I can keep going is if I have some awesome music playing and my goals fresh in my mind, lol.

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    I think that goal is a bit high -- if you were 320 instead it might be reasonable, but people who are no longer obese cannot lose as fast as people who are still obese.

The sauna suit is going to do absolutely nothing at all other than make you sweat. You might as well wear comfortable clothes, because how much you sweat is not a measure of how much you are burning. I would doubt that you're gaining muscle, but I would suspect that having just begun a new exercise program your muscles might be retaining water, which can mask weight loss. Are you tracking all your calories accurately? Often, when people begin a new exercise program, they increase food to compensate and accidentally over-increase. Furthermore, your exercise calories may be a bit off (many people say MFP is high for walking) causing weight loss to slow.

Now, for the other issue -- if that pic is of you at 225, then you are NOT the 'gross fat wife' -- don't trash yourself like that. 140 is a fine long-term goal, but you'll look quite good at a more reasonable short-term goal and you have no reason to hide away. Set a goal more like 170-180 -- you should reach that without having to drive yourself nuts in 8 months -- and treat yourself to some flattering clothes in celebration. Then go knock 'em dead.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    It sounds do-able, but very challenging. You would need to up your cardio and probably start lifting weights to increase your metabolism, as the calorie deficit to reach that goal will be high.

If you can't run without pain, could you swim, cycle or use an elliptical trainer? I had to stop running for over a year due to tendinitis from a sprained ankle, and I did a lot of spinning and elliptical workouts. The cardio is still good, but you do need to be aware that since these are not weight bearing exercises they won't benefit you bones the way running does. You will want to add in some strength training to make up for that.

I don't recommend the sauna suit if you are trying to lose weight permanently. The reason the scale moves is that you get dehydrated; you don't actually burn any more calories. My husband is a fighter and coach and he and his guys use them to cut water and make weight for the weigh ins, but as soon as they replenish their fluids, the effect of the suit is nil.

As far as building stamina, it's just a question of slow and steady increases in duration. If you are tiring too soon, lower the intensity and you can always up the intensity later after you are sustaining the activity for as long as you would like.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    That goal seems a bit aggressive, more gradual loss will be more sustainable.

There is no value in dehydrating yourself so your scale will lie to you. It won't change your body fat by one molecule, or change how you look. I suggest wearing comfortable clothes when you exercise.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    I've got some friends on my FL that averaged 10 lbs a month over the course of a year. Lost well over 100 lbs. it's doable for sure. Although i think more so for people who have a significant amount to lose in the first place. i think any loss is a positive though..wehether 8 months or 2 years. Treating your body right is numero uno. :):flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Probably too aggressive...you will not be able to sustain 10 Lbs per month through the duration...as you lean out, everything slows down dramatically. When you're larger you can lose at a good clip...but then it just gets slower and slower and slower and slower. Once you're at a healthy BF% it's pretty much a crawl. Also, not a linear function.
  • AprilEternity
    AprilEternity Posts: 53 Member
    Thank you for the response! By my BMI it still considers me 'obese' but I get what you're saying.

As for the sauna suit I had heard that keeping your body heated caused extra calorie burn because your body burns more calories trying to cool yourself off, like producing sweat and etc. But I'm not expert I am just trying different things, it was like 10 bucks at walmart so I figured I would give it a try, lol. I do believe that I am a massive water retainer but then again I drink a massive amount of water per day (I take topamax for migraines also so extra water is needed)

And I wasn't aware of MFP over calculating for walking, that's kind of a bummer and might be messing me up some, thanks for that tip!

As for how I look, that belt really is doing it's job well and that shirt hides a LOT! But I am also tallish - 5'8 so it's kind of hard to really see how I look unless it's 3D, lol. But you're right I am my own worst critic and I'm too harsh sometimes, but that is the only way to get me 'motivated' and to get my butt in gear.

Thank you so much for your kind words and tips, I appreciate it! :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    No, it's not reasonable.
    A goal is a goal, but it is not wise to put a deadline on your weight loss. Wearing a sauna trash bag is not going to help you lose fat, so please stop wearing it before you pass out from dehydration.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    I started at 220, and in 8 months i've only lost 50lbs. I think it would be very difficult, sorry.
  • lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    This makes me want to cry.... okay that is a bit dramatic - but seriously?!?! You are beautiful, I doubt ANYONE would ever call you the "gross fat wife", and while I'm sure weight loss would boost your confidence you gotta love yourself in every stage! If you keep working at it 8 months will make a huge difference, but don't beat yourself that it should have to be 80lbs. Do some body measurements every couple of weeks instead, and look at how your clothes are fitting and how healthy you feel as to whether you are succeeding!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Hey,

The best weight loss is 2lbs a week, anything past that is usually muscle and water loss. Are you eating clean? (no sodium, low carbs etc?) Also, try interval training- that is really effective.

It's funny because I am actually losing weight to join the Military...what branch is your husband in? you should add me =)
  • Of course- 10 pounds a month. Perhaps under these conditions you could loose that fast:

Hard core diet- I mean serious doctor supervision (Biggest Looser Type Shi* )
    Work out like a Mutha Effer
    So much dedication you would need a drill Sargent by your bed every morning telling you to GET UP AND DROP AND GIVE ME 50

...............If you have the will... Then YES. Most do not...I do not.... but you...? Maybe.... You can do anything you put your mind to.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    I'd say that's a little high for a goal, especially since you've already lost so much already (Good for you!) & your loss may slow a bit. Ideally, you shouldn't TRY to lose more than 2 pounds a week, because people who lose it faster than that are more likely to regain it. Two lbs a week gives your body time to get used to things gradually. But if you set up your diet & exercise goals to lose 2 lbs a week & happen to lose more, all the better. So I'd shoot for 72 lbs.
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Again, it depends on the person. if you have 100 lbs to lose you could easily do that. If you have 20-30 not so much and it seems aggressive. Focus on Quality of your health, What you ae eating, just being healthier period. Do it the healthy way!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    I started this weight loss at 234 and lost 60lbs in about 5 months, but that was with a 1200 calorie diet(I know, I know) and a ton of walking. I then slowed it down and lost the other 42lbs in the following 7 months. Basically I was down 100lbs in a little over a year when I hit goal.

The two things that I cannot stress enough and have learned through this is to set a reasonable goal or you take the chance of getting loose skin and when you hit goal having to work your butt off to tighten everything up. Some of it is genetics and some of it is the fact that losing very fast can wreak havoc and take time to bounce back from. The other thing that I found most helpful was working with a trainer and adding in weights. I came to love circuit because I could do both weights and cardio at the same time and not get bored with it. I do quite a bit of weights now and have seen a huge difference with that as well. When I started I was walking only and then kickboxing to circuit to running.

Best of luck to you!
  • AprilEternity
    Okay so I'm reading over everything and I'm seeing everyone is hating the sauna suit...lol. I will just trash it then if it's not going to help me. I appreciate all the input, like I said I'm not an expert and I am just trying different things to see how they work out.

As far as eating I'm doing pretty well, but I do go to the 'healthy' frozen dinners sometimes because I'm a busy mom and sometimes I'm just too tired or busy to to prepare something. (I know sh***y excuses, lol) I'm cutting down on how many of those a week I eat though and I've been doing a lot of the 'nutribullet blasts' lately.

(military branch is coast guard)

And thank you again for all the sweet things you are saying, kind of took me by surprise but it really makes me feel a lot better and I appreciate it. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    It doesn't sound healthy at all. If you had 100 to lose, sure. But you want to aim for 1/1.5 lb a week top.
  • AprilEternity
    Wow that is an awesome loss!! You look great by the way! Thanks for posting, very inspirational! :)
    I started this weight loss at 234 and lost 60lbs in about 5 months, but that was with a 1200 calorie diet(I know, I know) and a ton of walking. I then slowed it down and lost the other 42lbs in the following 7 months. Basically I was down 100lbs in a little over a year when I hit goal.

The two things that I cannot stress enough and have learned through this is to set a reasonable goal or you take the chance of getting loose skin and when you hit goal having to work your butt off to tighten everything up. Some of it is genetics and some of it is the fact that losing very fast can wreak havoc and take time to bounce back from. The other thing that I found most helpful was working with a trainer and adding in weights. I came to love circuit because I could do both weights and cardio at the same time and not get bored with it. I do quite a bit of weights now and have seen a huge difference with that as well. When I started I was walking only and then kickboxing to circuit to running.

Best of luck to you!
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Yes, I lost 80 lbs in 8 months. It is hard and doesn't leave much room for mistakes. It is doable though.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    I started at 220, and in 8 months i've only lost 50lbs. I think it would be very difficult, sorry.

I also started around 220, I think I 'might' have hit about 60 lbs lost in a year. I mean even if you only lose 40 that's a BIG difference in clothing and looks - I have pix every 10 lbs in my profile if you're curious. Trust me, based on looking at most people around me now having lost a few lbs, you WON'T be the 'fat ugly wife' ;)
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Watch out for those 'healthy' frozen dinners as they have a ton of sodium which of course will cause extra water retention. If you can't cook every night maybe try to cook 3-4 days a week and have enough extra for the next day. Cook up some chicken breasts and veggies one night, then have enough left for lunch or dinner the next day perhaps with some brown rice. Pick a day to sit and menu plan (works best when making your grocery list for the week) when you have a plan in place and all the foods and ingredients necessary to make them it takes the pressure of what to make for dinner every night a bit better. Good luck!