Cow's milk

Options
I'm not sure where to put this thread because it's not particularly about my nutrition. My daughter is 11 months old and we will be weaning her off of formula soon. Breastfeeding didn't work out well for us but I did breast feed semi regularly for 5 months and then she had formula and pureed baby food. She is now eating mostly solids but I'm not sure now long to keep her on formula. The doctor says she can have cow's milk after she is a year old. Milk will not be the keystone to her diet as formula was and she might have is about 3 times a day once weaned.

The trouble is I'm having a lot of people giving me the 'people aren't supposed to drink cow's milk' spiel. It's got me doubting myself. I drank milk as a child and I think I turned out alright (I think so anyway). I wasn't really overweight until my 20's due to overeating and less activity and I don't recall having digestive issues or any ill effects due to dairy. I drink almond milk now just because I prefer the taste but should I give cow's milk to my child?

Someone trying to persuade me otherwise sent me this link (sorry I suck at links)

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/environmental-health-reasons-dairy.htm.

Thoughts/ opinions on whether humans are supposed to drink cow's milk?

ETA I am asking mostly for opinions and not particularly advice. I had planned on giving the child cow's milk and her pediatrician has advised it. People have been drinking cow's milk for so long that it never crossed my mind that it wasn't safe for human consumption and that is what I'm curious about.

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    It's fine if you want to give your child cow's milk.

Yes, a cow produces a lot of poop in a day, but about 70% of that poop is water. Eating less beef would probably be better for the environment than drinking less milk.

And for all those people that will tell you that man is the only animal that drinks milk past infancy, that's because we're the only animal that has figured out how to procure milk. My dog, cat, and rat will all happily slurp milk if given the chance.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk is more "natural" than is the internet you've turned to for advice. :wink:

It's fine for her to drink it. Just watch for adverse signs early on, and it should all be good.
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    evileen, thanks for responding. It's not so much the poop part than the 'humans aren't supposed to drink another animals milk' part.
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    Milk is a perfect food!!! Go organic
    Dont listen to BS!!!!!

Humans do many many other stuff that other species dont do
    So what!!!
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the science behind it but my family has always drank a ton of milk. We love it! My brother and sisters drink it with every meal, for me I only like it with breakfast. None of us has ever had side effects having to do with milk or to much milk or anything. Also, between the 4 of us we have had 1 broken bone and our calcium levels have always been amazing according to the doctors.

The 1 year mark is usually to avoid milk allergies as well as making sure that the child gets all the nutrients from the breast milk or the formula.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Try it and see. Most people don't suffer any ill effects from cows milk.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, but I think the "everything in moderation" is good for humans of all ages. People who drink lots of milk may develop lactose intolerance, we have developed peanut allergies through over exposure to peanut products.

When you talk about the people who say don't drink another animals milk, all i can think about is the story of the mom in England who let her kids decide when to wean themselves off breast milk...these kids were like 6 and 8 and still drinking breast milk from her breasts. The kids developed an unhealthy fixation with her breasts to the point of naming them.

So just watch out for signs of lactose intolerance, keep your doctor in the loop, and relax. You sound like a good mom. Trust yourself:flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Listen to your pediatrician intead of a bunch of goofballs on the internet. If you question something your pediatrician advises, get a second opinon from another pediatrician

ETA: and check out the diaries of some of those saying humans shouldn't drink milk because other species don't. Ask yourself how many other animals eat the things on their diary. Then ask yourself how many animals make and drink almond milk.
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My family was always really pro milk and stuck with cow milk mostly. None of us ever really had problems with it and I always found it was a great drink when I came home from sports and general running around. Most of my friends were really heavy milk drinkers as well so it was a pretty common drink in our circle of friends.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Ok I do drink milk if I want but rarely...

A big part of the not drinking cow's milk has alot to do with ethical reasons.

For example a dairy cow gets pregnant and her baby is generally ripped away from her and if a boy possibly made into veal and if a girl made into a dairy cow. There are also weird buckle things they put in their snout that makes it impossible for them to drink from their mama. It's depressing, not slaughterhouse depressing but still.

If you are just providing it for calcium and fats, there are other sources or you can just stick with milk.

Either way I'd do my research and make my own decision instead of listening to any of us on MFP haha.
  • ImSoOTired
    Options
    I'm glad to see that no one else has told me it isn't fit for human consumption...
    I had every intention of listening to her pediatrician and giving her the cow's milk. I really just wanted to know if this was something that a lot of people believed and so far I see that it's not.

Please don't assume I'd base a decision solely on what I read from strangers on the internet. I am just looking for opinions on the subject. It was only just brought to my attention and I'd like to know what others think. Obviously I would listen to her pediatrician over anyone else.
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Listen to your pediatrician intead of a bunch of goofballs on the internet. If you question something your pediatrician advises, get a second opinon from another pediatrician

ETA: and check out the diaries of some of those saying humans shouldn't drink milk because other species don't. Ask yourself how many other animals eat the things on their diary. Then ask yourself how many animals make and drink almond milk.

:laugh: I like this reply best. People have been drinking cow's milk for a long time...she'll be fine. :smile:
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I was allergic to cow milk when I was a kid so I drank goats milk.... not sure if that is good or not but just an idea
  • ImSoOTired
    Options
    Ok I do drink milk if I want but rarely...

A big part of the not drinking cow's milk has alot to do with ethical reasons.

For example a dairy cow gets pregnant and her baby is generally ripped away from her and if a boy possibly made into veal and if a girl made into a dairy cow. There are also weird buckle things they put in their snout that makes it impossible for them to drink from their mama. It's depressing, not slaughterhouse depressing but still.

If you are just providing it for calcium and fats, there are other sources or you can just stick with milk.

Okay, I see where you are coming from there...Perhaps this is more the reason I was being persuaded not to use it as opposed to it's nutritional value.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    It's fine, unless you start to notice issues potentially related to lactose intolerance. No, cow's milk isn't "designed" for humans, but neither are a LOT of other things we eat/drink. Unless you have an ethical reason to not want to drink milk (which I can completely respect even though I don't share that belief) the whole "cow's milk isn't for humans" argument is nonsense, IMHO.

If you do choose not to give your child cow's milk (which is totally fine, too), one word of caution - please PLEASE make sure she's getting enough fat in her diet. The primary reason that pediatricians stress children drinking whole cow's milk after weaning from formula/breastmilk is that it's one of the easiest ways for a young child to get fat into their diet via a whole food source. Of course there are plenty of others, but few quite as simple (and even fewer as toddler-friendly for the vast majority of kids) as dumping some milk into a cup. Adequate dietary fat is 100% ESSENTIAL for brain development in kids up to 2 years old or so. Just be aware of her needs, no matter the route you choose to take!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i'd say go for it the doc knows best. i rember as a kid we had a field trip to a dairy farm. we got to milk the cow and even try it. goat milk is awesome to
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where to put this thread because it's not particularly about my nutrition. My daughter is 11 months old and we will be weaning her off of formula soon. Breastfeeding didn't work out well for us but I did breast feed semi regularly for 5 months and then she had formula and pureed baby food. She is now eating mostly solids but I'm not sure now long to keep her on formula. The doctor says she can have cow's milk after she is a year old. Milk will not be the keystone to her diet as formula was and she might have is about 3 times a day once weaned.

The trouble is I'm having a lot of people giving me the 'people aren't supposed to drink cow's milk' spiel. It's got me doubting myself. I drank milk as a child and I think I turned out alright (I think so anyway). I wasn't really overweight until my 20's due to overeating and less activity and I don't recall having digestive issues or any ill effects due to dairy. I drink almond milk now just because I prefer the taste but should I give cow's milk to my child?

Someone trying to persuade me otherwise sent me this link (sorry I suck at links)

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/environmental-health-reasons-dairy.htm.

ETA I am asking mostly for opinions and not particularly advice. I had planned on giving the child cow's milk and her pediatrician has advised it. People have been drinking cow's milk for so long that it never crossed my mind that it wasn't safe for human consumption and that is what I'm curious about.

Not a problem with cow's milk, but make sure that it is organic. Stay away from Soy milk at all cost, especially for someone so young. In fact soy milk should not be given to children.
  • ImSoOTired
    Options
    It's fine, unless you start to notice issues potentially related to lactose intolerance. No, cow's milk isn't "designed" for humans, but neither are a LOT of other things we eat/drink. Unless you have an ethical reason to not want to drink milk (which I can completely respect even though I don't share that belief) the whole "cow's milk isn't for humans" argument is nonsense, IMHO.

If you do choose not to give your child cow's milk (which is totally fine, too), one word of caution - please PLEASE make sure she's getting enough fat in her diet. The primary reason that pediatricians stress children drinking whole cow's milk after weaning from formula/breastmilk is that it's one of the easiest ways for a young child to get fat into their diet via a whole food source. Of course there are plenty of others, but few quite as simple (and even fewer as toddler-friendly for the vast majority of kids) as dumping some milk into a cup. Adequate dietary fat is 100% ESSENTIAL for brain development in kids up to 2 years old or so. Just be aware of her needs, no matter the route you choose to take!

Aha. That is what I was wondering myself but wasn't sure about. I took a nutrition class a few years ago because I worked in a childcare facility and at the time I hadn't heard anyone say anything about how people shouldn't drink cow's milk. Only that children under the age of 1 have trouble digesting it and that some people were lactose or dairy intolerant. The big thing was that children need the fats for development and that's why cow's milk was important. I suppose the conflicting information is what has me wondering.
  • ImSoOTired
    Options

Not a problem with cow's milk, but make sure that it is organic. Stay away from Soy milk at all cost, especially for someone so young. In fact soy milk should not be given to children.

Why should soy milk not be given to children? Honestly curious, not trying to say you are wrong.
  • KatiesNewGoals
    KatiesNewGoals Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello! I don't think you've got anything to worry about with the cows milk. My daughter had to be on the "Gentlease" formula, and I was a little concerned about the lactose in milk, but after talking with the doctor, they said it usually doesn't affect the kiddos when drinking milk. She loves milk and gobbles it up now! It was a little strange at first, like what is this! It's not formula! But she got the hang of it pretty quickly. She's now 19 months old, and the at her 18 month check up, the doctor still wants her to drink 16 oz of milk/day and 16 oz of water/day. We tend to buy organic milk as well. I would stick with what your doctor recommends. My kiddo is on the higher percentile range, so the doctor said she could drink 2% and now whole milk, although that's what she gets a daycare. No adverse side effects here!