Beginner Paleo

Options
Hey,

After reading about some of the health benefits of the Paleo diet, I'd really like to give it a try and make it a part of my lifestyle if possible.

Can anyone recommend any good beginner paleo books, or share some stories about if it worked for you or didn't?

Thanks!

Replies

• klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hey,

After reading about some of the health benefits of the Paleo diet, I'd really like to give it a try and make it a part of my lifestyle if possible.

Can anyone recommend any good beginner paleo books, or share some stories about if it worked for you or didn't?

Thanks!

As someone coming off that kind of diet after several months. There are somethings you should be aware of. 1) its expensive, 2) its very tough if you want to eat bread or wheat products -- since they are basically not allowed 3) if you have any proclivities towards kidney alements, beware. You will be consuming more calc/fats and can be at risk for kidney stones (happened to me).

There is a great reddit page on paleo diet.
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    PaleOMG and Stupid Easy Paleo are 2 websites that have a lot of info and recipes, I would start with online resources first and see what you think. There are more and more cookbooks that are coming out now since this has gained popularity, but if you are looking for a good place to start those are 2 great resources.

Stupid Easy Paleo will give you tips, grocery lists, etc. to help you get started and not be overwhelmed by everything. I was strict paleo for about a month and saw great results, but it was hard to maintain, so now I tend to try to eat more along the "primal" philosophy and also just making sure I eat as clean as possible.

Good luck! You will find a lot of good recipes!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Thanks!

You can't really make paleo a part of your lifestyle...you either are or aren't paleo. It is a very healthy way of eating and I like it for the fact that it gets people eating nutrient dense foods...but I hate it for the fact that it also eliminates a lot of healthy and nutrient dense foods because not caveman approved. It is very restrictive and unnecessarily so which makes it extremely difficult to maintain as a lifestyle.

Personally I just choose to eat a balanced diet rich in nutrient dense foods and still enjoy my beer or jelly beans or whatever on occasion.