FAST FOOD addiction!!! HELP!!!!

Options

Replies

• silver__shadow
    silver__shadow Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the confidence to do this.
    I just went to the dollar store and bought a day planner where I'll give a sticker for every day I do not eat fast food (unless it is for a date with friends and at that point I'll eat off the healthy menu). And if I make healthy choices for the whole month I will allow myself a new outfit... Within reason.
  • silver__shadow
    silver__shadow Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If its truly a behaviour you find difficult to stop.... the first thing you have to do is not be hard on yourself... take the time to write down the goal you have for losing weight ( BE VERY DETAILED and ask for help from a nutrionist if you want to get down to numbers that are healthy to lose) ...keep that goal with you everywhere you go ! ..... take each day one meal at a time.... take a few seconds before or near each meal to prepare yourself mentally by going over what you want to eat for that meal ( this can help avoid making snap decisions and if necessary take out your goals to review. ) ..... EACH time that you had a meal that wasn't fast food pat yourself on the back ( THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO CHANGE THE WAY YOU FEEL ABOUT EATING MEALS and TO GIVE YOU CONFIDENCE ! ) ....no matter what if you do end up having some for any reason take a moment to admit it to yourself honestly but then take your goal sheet out and look at it and tell yourself that its ok ! there is the next meal that you can try again. Goals can be achieved and goals can be failed, what life is about is when we fail how easily can we get back up and try again! If this is important to you, trust yourself that at first it will be difficult but it will get easier with practice !
    I really like this post. It is full of good ideas and not the obviouse one about stop doing it. We are all human and make mistakes and you really showed that. Thank you
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Or, if you still decide to get fast food try to make a healthier choice, log it, and make it fit.

I eat fast food all the time. You can make it work for you by making better choices if you just can't give up the convenience or the camaraderie of going out with your friends/coworkers. You'll see a bunch of responses about how fast food is bad for you, and it's definitely not as good as whole fresh foods, but it CAN work.

This might work for some, but be careful...if you're nursing an obsession/addiction w/salt and fat I wouldn't play with it. For people who have food obsessions/addictions - there is no "just eat a little and log it".

The best advice here (which is the hardest to swallow, no pun intended) - is DECIDE and DO. You are not powerless. Make the choice to love yourself. When you feel like getting fast food - don't. When you feel like driving there, don't. When you feel like eating it again, don't. When you think about it, don't. If you feel like cheating and just having a little, don't. Are you getting the picture? ;)

RUN from it as far as your legs can carry you. It does NOT control you. YOU control your life and your destiny.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I end up having fast food twice or so a week...I probably always will to some extent--However I know that, i have looked over all the menu options and no what i can have ahead of time (meaning what will fit in to my day)

for instance :burger king--my child loves to play at their play ground..and I am too much of a fatty to not eat so I get a hamburger and a small satisfry--it is 550 calories, so it counts as my lunch and before lunh snack. no biggie

I am also on the go a lot--so I hit taco bell once a week i get a buffalo griller--it is AMAZING and only 350 calories.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Or, if you still decide to get fast food try to make a healthier choice, log it, and make it fit.

I eat fast food all the time. You can make it work for you by making better choices if you just can't give up the convenience or the camaraderie of going out with your friends/coworkers. You'll see a bunch of responses about how fast food is bad for you, and it's definitely not as good as whole fresh foods, but it CAN work.

This might work for some, but be careful...if you're nursing an obsession/addiction w/salt and fat I wouldn't play with it. For people who have food obsessions/addictions - there is no "just eat a little and log it".

The best advice here (which is the hardest to swallow, no pun intended) - is DECIDE and DO. You are not powerless. Make the choice to love yourself. When you feel like getting fast food - don't. When you feel like driving there, don't. When you feel like eating it again, don't. When you think about it, don't. If you feel like cheating and just having a little, don't. Are you getting the picture? ;)

RUN from it as far as your legs can carry you. It does NOT control you. YOU control your life and your destiny.

While I agree with this to a point, I also have to point out that this advice is just simply not going to work for a lot of people. If someone's going to make a lifestyle change, it needs to work WITH their lifestyle. Yes, obviously completely avoiding fast food is fine for some and definitely healthier, but if the person can't stick with it, isn't it better to learn to make better choices in everyday situations? I never would have lost my weight if I had been told to completely avoid the foods I enjoy forevermore.
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Read the ingredients... that should end any addiction.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have two things for you ... read MSGTruth.org and Jon Gabriel's book, The Gabriel Method.

Seriously. It's not your fault. You are addicted to chemicals they put in the food for the sheer purpose of making you addicted. Yes, it's your choice and yes, it's your responsibility to do what you're doing (seeking help, EXCELLENT MOVE) ... but NO, it's not your fault.

In order to break the addiction, you have to get it out of your system. Then you won't crave it anymore. Many of us were addicted like you are and are no longer. Promise!

YOU'VE GOT THIS! :drinker:
  • Brandolin11
    Options

In reading your recent posts, every self control or dietary problem seems to look like an addiction/ obsession problem to you. I'd suggest you get therapy.

Op looks like a troll post to me.

Wow, some people on here are incredibly strange/rude on these boards! SMH I've been here just one day and have already seen several folks like yourself attack people (suggesting therapy? That's a classic internet thread bash if I ever heard it) and frankly it's rather disgusting. Why are you so bitter? Why so snarky? What's underneath this? I'm not so sure *I'm* the one that needs the therapy here, to be honest!

If you actually read (or better yet comprehended) my "recent posts" you'll note that I'm very careful to say SOME PEOPLE have eating addictions and obsessions and here's what to do if you feel you might have one. I am one of those people, thus I am interested in helping those with similar problems - IF they have it. Thus why I used words above like, and I quote, "SOME" and "IF". Please point out to me where I say ALL people have it EVERY time - it's easy - simply cut and paste proof of those words here and I'll address it, thanks.

So yeah...can ya take the bitter snarkiness down a notch or two? Sheesh, dude.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Are you packing lunches of food you like? Or do you bring things you don't really like but think you should eat?

Excellent observation. I bring food to work that I really look forward to eating. Nothing I could buy can stand up to the deciousness of my home cooking. Today it was coconut chicken curry and sautéed asparagus. And angel food cake for dessert.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

In reading your recent posts, every self control or dietary problem seems to look like an addiction/ obsession problem to you. I'd suggest you get therapy.

Agree on both counts.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I ate fast food for all three meals today and not only was under, but came awfully close to my macros without trying.
  • wheird
    Options
    I have two things for you ... read MSGTruth.org and Jon Gabriel's book, The Gabriel Method.

Seriously. It's not your fault. You are addicted to chemicals they put in the food for the sheer purpose of making you addicted. Yes, it's your choice and yes, it's your responsibility to do what you're doing (seeking help, EXCELLENT MOVE) ... but NO, it's not your fault.

In order to break the addiction, you have to get it out of your system. Then you won't crave it anymore. Many of us were addicted like you are and are no longer. Promise!

Lol.
  • Brandolin11
    Options

While I agree with this to a point, I also have to point out that this advice is just simply not going to work for a lot of people. If someone's going to make a lifestyle change, it needs to work WITH their lifestyle. Yes, obviously completely avoiding fast food is fine for some and definitely healthier, but if the person can't stick with it, isn't it better to learn to make better choices in everyday situations? I never would have lost my weight if I had been told to completely avoid the foods I enjoy forevermore.

Agreed that it won't work for everyone - because not everyone has addictions to food. If you don't have bonafide compulsive overeating issues, then by all means my advice does not apply to you. I would never advise a person who was not an alcoholic to stop having beer.

I have no idea where the OP stands with these issues; however, some of their language seems to point to a possible "problem" with particular foods, such as fast food - the very title of this post is "Fast Food Addiction - HELP!". They talk about this problem being "out of hand", they feel "depressed", and indicate feelings of powerlessness and confusion over this issue. This is classic addict behavior.

I have to gently take issue with the phrase, "if the person can't stick with it, isn't it better to...." I'd argue that for people in this position, no...it's not better for them to "learn to make better choices" because that doesn't work for compulsive overeaters. :) That's just it, you see...you never learn...you can't. In the same way an alcoholic cannot "learn" to just enjoy "a little" of the vodka he loves. For people who have problems with certain trigger foods, I will always recommend abstinence from them.

I completely understand that this is EXTREMELY difficult for people to handle. This is because most of us cannot fathom the horror of giving up the things we use as emotional crutches in our lives. We "need" them...thus we will do ANYTHING to keep them - even justify to ourselves that we can "handle it" if we'd just be more self-controlled. Why, even the fact that you believe I was saying this person must "completely avoid the foods [they] enjoy forevermore" betrays this belief. I never said that, you see? I simply was talking about *fast food* for *this* person in particular. Not that this person needs to completely avoid any and all foods they enjoy! ;) Heck, I eat french fries and fried chicken once a week. I eat chips and tacos and all kinds of awesome things. But I cannot eat sweets. Ever. Eating a cupcake, for example, will send me right back into my eating disorder. Some people, like myself, yes, do need to avoid particular foods for life. Once a person in a similar position to me finally absorbs this, and practices abstinence, the exact opposite of what you'd expect happens: you become FREE and HAPPY - not miserable and boxed in. :)

I want to reiterate that I have no clue where the OP stands on this. But *just in case*...I wanted to bring it up because it might be true - and if that's the case, then all the advice in the world to "just start over tomorrow", "just bring healthy food", "just this, just that"...will never help - in the same way telling a drug addict these things won't. Compulsive overeating is a whole other ball game and requires other rules. But those rules end up setting you free. :)
  • Abukhunshaw
    Options
    show your will power here. the only thing that could help you out of it is a strong commitment with yourself. moreover try having lots of water and have roasted peas when you feel the urge, it will help you killing your hunger. try having green tea with lemon without sugar, this is also a good source of killing hunger. add apple and guava in your daily diet plan. hope you will manage to get rid of this habit.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    It's a very personal thing. Think about how you felt when this fast food craving came on. What were you doing? Were you even hungry? Were you in a location that tempted you, like a place and time of day that you've traditionally eaten fast food?

People really are creatures of habit-- especially with food. We associate certain stimuli with certain food, and almost automatically start craving those things when we encounter that stimulus. Make note of everything around you the next time this craving comes on, then avoid whatever that stimulus was.
  • Brandolin11
    Options

Agree on both counts.

*sigh* Fine. I'll go get therapy since you both recommended it. Y'know - total strangers who hide behind their computers lobbing insults at others they know zippo about, that is... Where should I begin in my therapeutic journey? Can you educate me about my "problem"? Y'know...cuz I'll need something to introduce to my therapist when I make that first appointment.

Shall I go into how my eating addiction has been broken for two solid years?
    How I lost nearly 70 lbs effortlessly after I got my ED under control?
    How I just completed my 2nd 5K at 6.25mph when I'd never run in my life before last year and am going for another in a couple weeks as well as a half-marathon next summer?
    How I used to be so depressed I couldn't leave the house but am now a social butterfly?
    How my weight-loss success is so evident to folks around me that I'm constantly being approached for life-coaching advice?
    Or perhaps how many of my relationships have blossomed further because I'm not so self-involved and don't loathe myself as I used to?
    Maybe how I no longer have the constant weight of guilt over me that accompanied the endless cycle of bingeing/dieting?
    Shall I talk about my rediscovered spirituality and love of God even though I used to blame him for all my problems the years I was caught in my addiction?
    Or maybe about how I now sleep well at night, have no pain in my knees when climbing stairs, my head is clearer, vision brighter, smile broader, step quicker?
    Oh I know! Maybe about the joy, happiness, self-control, peace, love, and freedom I now experience on a daily basis.

Tell me o-wizard-o-wise-ones... Which of this horrible problems should I tackle with my therapist first? I REALLY need more of your advice! Don't leave me hangin! ;)
  • wheird
    Options

Agree on both counts.

*sigh* Fine. I'll go get therapy since you both recommended it. Y'know - total strangers who hide behind their computers lobbing insults at others they know zippo about, that is... Where should I begin in my therapeutic journey? Can you educate me about my "problem"? Y'know...cuz I'll need something to introduce to my therapist when I make that first appointment.

How I just completed my 2nd 5K at 6.25mph when I'd never run in my life before last year and am going for another in a couple weeks as well as a half-marathon next summer?
    How I used to be so depressed I couldn't leave the house but am now a social butterfly?
    How my weight-loss success is so evident to folks around me that I'm constantly being approached for life-coaching advice?
    Or perhaps how many of my relationships have blossomed further because I'm not so self-involved and don't loathe myself as I used to?
    Maybe how I no longer have the constant weight of guilt over me that accompanied the endless cycle of bingeing/dieting?
    Shall I talk about my rediscovered spirituality and love of God even though I used to blame him for all my problems the years I was caught in my addiction?
    Or maybe about how I now sleep well at night, have no pain in my knees when climbing stairs, my head is clearer, vision brighter, smile broader, step quicker?
    Oh I know! Maybe about the joy, happiness, self-control, peace, love, and freedom I now experience on a daily basis.

Tell me o-wizard-o-wise-ones... Which of this horrible problems should I tackle with my therapist first? I REALLY need more of your advice! Don't leave me hangin! ;)

I would start with the unnecessarily long posts that I don't bother reading. Work on being more concise plz.
  • whitlisd
    Options

^THIS!!! I had the exact same problem as you. For years. I tried everything, but finally it came down to getting off the crap cold turkey. Then I forced myself to get educated about how it's all made, how the corporations are really just interested in money, not our health, how the animals are treated that go into the foods we get at these awful places, and I got off the sugar which made me crave it and say yes to it ALL THE TIME. McDonalds was the worst. I swear there's something addictive in their food.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight or get fit... eating Fast Food is not going to get you anywhere. I guess you just don't want it bad enough to stop eating junk.... when you're ready, you'll stop. Good luck.

Not so much. You can lose weight eating fast food for lunch. You can even get fit doing it.

Exactly. Pick something that gets close to the calorie and macro profile you want to hit and make it fit. It's worked for me - I eat some kind of fast food for lunch most work days.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Agree on both counts.

Lol! So, a couple of people make observations on the internet that you don't like and you write 1000 words essays back to them? That'll show 'em!

TL/DR