is cardio skippable if you lift?

Options
13»

Replies

• __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    There's no need to do cardio if you don't care about your health.

Well, shoot, I love my carido but your response is presumptuous. Just because someone chooses not to do cardio does not mean they don't care about their health, it just means they do not want to do cardio.

I don't presume that people who don't do cardio don't care about their health -- naturally there exist people who care about their health and are aware of the health benefits of cardio but have other priorities, time constraints, don't enjoy it, etc.

Personally, I don't care if other people want to do cardio. Or lift. Or watch TV all day. I think people should do whatever makes them happy.

I was responding to the OP, who asked if cardio was necessary in order to gain muscle. It's not. However, there are numerous health benefits to cardio. If she doesn't care about those, she doesn't need to do cardio.

To everyone else who found my assertion so preposterous, the WHO, AHA, NHS, CDC, etc., all agree that for health people should do both cardiovascular exercise and resistance training.

edit: and from a previous response, it sounds like the OP is probably already getting more than enough cardiovascular exercise in her daily life to reap the health benefits.

"There's no need to do cardio if you don't care about your health."

Then

"I don't presume that people who don't do cardio don't care about their health."

Okeedokee.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you like and what your goals are.

I love to run at least 3 days a week and then do some other from of cardio + strength training 2 days a week. If find that I sleep the best on the days I run. I also like the fact that I don't get out of breath like I used to when I climbed stairs or walked up a steep hill. But that's what I like to do and why I like to do it.

Just do what works for you.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Well, shoot, I love my carido but your response is presumptuous. Just because someone chooses not to do cardio does not mean they don't care about their health, it just means they do not want to do cardio.

I don't presume that people who don't do cardio don't care about their health -- naturally there exist people who care about their health and are aware of the health benefits of cardio but have other priorities, time constraints, don't enjoy it, etc.

Personally, I don't care if other people want to do cardio. Or lift. Or watch TV all day. I think people should do whatever makes them happy.

I was responding to the OP, who asked if cardio was necessary in order to gain muscle. It's not. However, there are numerous health benefits to cardio. If she doesn't care about those, she doesn't need to do cardio.

To everyone else who found my assertion so preposterous, the WHO, AHA, NHS, CDC, etc., all agree that for health people should do both cardiovascular exercise and resistance training.

edit: and from a previous response, it sounds like the OP is probably already getting more than enough cardiovascular exercise in her daily life to reap the health benefits.

"There's no need to do cardio if you don't care about your health."

Then

"I don't presume that people who don't do cardio don't care about their health."

Okeedokee.

Those two statements are not logically inconsistent.

One statement is about how to improve one's status. One statement is about what people actually do.

Not the same thing.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I think as you get older, cardio becomes more important for heart health.

Lifting can definitely get your heart rate going, but it's an anaerobic activity. A set of 3 reps of super heavy squats, your heart is pounding, your BP is skyrocketing. You might get tunnel vision and partial deafness from the effort. It takes several minutes to recover before you can do another set.

45 minutes of cardio, your heartrate is elevated and sustained, but your BP isn't off the charts and you recover pretty fast once you are done

I lifted for years, heavier and harder than most here will ever do, and never did cardio. I got winded carrying laundry from the basement to the 2nd floor bedroom. I don't have that problem any more, and for me, I feel healthier because of using cardio to get that part of my fitness in order.

Is it necessary? No. Will it help your long term health? I think so.
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    bump for journal to read later.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options

I also personally believe that cardiovascular health is important; particularly for your heart and lungs...I'm looking for mine to last as long as they can! So I agree with your sentiment, Ismsrbls.

However, I really don't understand why you (and of course there are plenty of others out there) have to be so god damn rude when responding to a simple question. I really don't get it, maybe you can help me out? Are you looking to provoke an angry response? Are you trolling for your own amusement?

And I don't buy your 'two statements are logically inconsistent' cr@p. This is not a debating tournament. This is supposed to be a group of people who are helping and supporting others with their goals, not belittling one another with theatrical one sentence responses clearly designed to flame and to attract attention. Well I guess you achieved that. Well done.

I've been a member of this site for quite a while now, and I would say that 95% of community users are friendly, helpful and of course there is nothing wrong with a little helpful honesty. However I'm so so sick of posts like this, like reeaallly bored of them. /rantover

To continue the discussion...love weights, believe in the benefits of cardio....so I do both! I lift 3 x a week and do some form of cardio 2 or 3 times a week. I personally would recommend a mix of both :)
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I also personally believe that cardiovascular health is important; particularly for your heart and lungs...I'm looking for mine to last as long as they can! So I agree with your sentiment, Ismsrbls.

However, I really don't understand why you (and of course there are plenty of others out there) have to be so god damn rude when responding to a simple question. I really don't get it, maybe you can help me out? Are you looking to provoke an angry response? Are you trolling for your own amusement?

I wasn't trying to be rude. I was trying to answer the original question.

I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I apologize.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who lift only and/or do very little in the way of cardio. It really depends on your fitness goals I guess...IMHO, I'd rather have a very well rounded fitness profile so I do both as well as yoga for flexibility. I generally do cardio on non-lifting days...either run, cycle, or swim and some hiking as well. I like participating in races and other athletic events that require cardio vascular fitness as well as strength and conditioning.

Most of my power lifting buddies do little outside of power lifting because that's really their only goal...maybe go for some long walks here and there...my body builder buddies do cardio primarily when they're cutting...otherwise they're just eating and lifting.

I think you should take a step back and look at your fitness beyond just your weight loss goals and calories...what do you want your fitness to be? What are your fitness goals?