Is 1600 calories enough?

Options
Ok, I know that since I'm alloted aroudn 1600 calories per day that means that they've already subtracted the 400 calories necessary to drop in order to lose 2 lbs a week. That, added with some exercise means I'll lose the weight. But my questions is... is 1600 calories enough to keep my metabolism going strong?? Everyone I talk to says that it sounds really low but I'm satisfied with what I eat most days. It's only the days that I splurge that it seems as though I run out of calories by the end of the day.

Replies

• Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I've been doing 1200 calories for just over 6 months..................I'm fine:)
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    Listen to your body and don't get bogged down with numbers.

If your are satisfied, have enough energy and are losing weight, then don't worry.

Your body will soon tell you if you aren't consuming enough.
  • Kazren
    Kazren Posts: 88
    Options
    I thought that, but as long as you make good choices, and eat all your 1600 if you are hungray then thats fine, you need to make sure you eat at least 1200 though, i am allowed 1600 and i normally eat between 1200 and 1500, that way when i have an of day and i go over by a few hundred i dont feel as bad cos i dont eat all my allowance, its like saving ww points for a week to splurge at weekend on some choc!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    You'll learn by how you feel. I was at 1200 +exercise calories, and I was so tired. I changed my settings from sedentary to somewhat active (since I have a desk job, but my 2 yr old at work with me, so a lot of up and down from my desk!) and I do so much better with 1500 calories. So just try it and see how you feel and if you are still losing.
  • sparis88
    sparis88 Posts: 30
    Options
    Listen to your body and don't get bogged down with numbers.

If your are satisfied, have enough energy and are losing weight, then don't worry.

Your body will soon tell you if you aren't consuming enough.

I agree your body will tell you. I have been doing 1200 or less w/exercise and one day I went to exercise & my body said "oh no girl, not tonight"! My knees were weak and my body said it was time for a rest. Again trust me, your body will tell you!
  • yojibalinese
    Options
    MFP tells me to eat 1600 calories. I'm lucky if I manage to get in 1300 a day. I watch my carbs and sodium intake heavily and plan my heals accordingly. 1200 is the magic "do not go below" number. I try to hit 1250-1300.