Does Running Decrease Muscle?

Hi there,

My friend at work told me she stopped running because it made her skinny fat and she lost a lot of muscle. How can I prevent this from happening? Ive just begun running and love it!! But dont want to be skinny fat NOOOO

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Simple...strength train. Depending on your fitness level, access to a gym, etc, look into a strength training routine to do on your non-run days.

FWIW: I run and weight lift (different days). I've been able to get stronger and keep my LBM while running without issue. And, the improved strength helps me run better.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    If you do nothing but run, while in a large calorie deficit without adequate protein, then yes.

If you eat enough protein, aren't starving yourself, don't run yourself to death on the treadmill, and do some strength and resistance training, then no.
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    I lift weights, run, and do pilates or yoga often. I haven't lost any strength or muscles. In fact I am lifting more, which surprised me because I thought that by eating at a deficit I would mostly be trying to maintain LBM and strength, instead of increasing strength. Strength training and pilates/yoga definitely improve my running. I am stronger, looser, and more flexible.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Yes. It can.

To be fair, so can lifting.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    No, it doesn't.

Not fueling enough does.

Running works (builds) certain muscles and doesn't work other muscles as much. If your running a calorie deficit, your body will eat the fat, then eat the muscles it doesn't need for that activity.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    All calories in vs calories out.....