Happy maintaining

Options
Hiya,

I was just wondering if anyone else out there is experiencing the same.
I've been maintaining my weight now for about 4-5 months, I'm still 4-6lbs from my goal weight, but no matter what I do those scales just won't budge.
I'm now back at the weight I always was in my twenties, do you think I've found a weight my body is happy with and this is where I'll stay??
I'm happy at this weight, I've decided to carry on maintaining until the new year, then I'm going to knuckle down and try really hard to get down to my goal weight, but if it doesn't happen I won't stress about it.

I'm 43, 5ft 8", 10 stone 11lbs, size 12, with a happy healthy BMI.

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If you're happy at your weight, and it's a healthy weight, I'd absolutely not stress about it.

I could still lose 10-20 pounds; some days I think I wouldn't mind it. But maintaining my current weight is easy. My body can do everything I want it to do. I have a closet full of great clothes that fit. I'm going to stick around this weight :)
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    How many calories are you consuming/burning off daily/weekly?
  • sphillips7143
    sphillips7143 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am also in the same situation. I would like to lose 5 more pounds and it doesn't seem to want to come off, so I am just being smart about what I eat and making sure I exercise often. I also feel good at this weight and am not going to stress about it! I feel pretty good for 47 years old! I love my fitness pal because it causes me to think about everything I am eating and drinking. There are definitely days I eat over my calorie goal, but I try to keep it under the goal for the week. If you are happy, roll with that! Congrats on your success so far!
  • SIMA80
    SIMA80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    same here..once I got to the goal weight, I started maintenance, and I gained little bit back and have been juggling the same 2-3 pounds which was no big deal, but then summer happened and too many of the mini vacas. I lowered my calories to drop those extra pounds, but it has been somewhat of the slow process. I wonder if I ever get back there...been trying...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I said that too about a year ago and just kept at it, deciding I was maintaining and . . . slowly lost another 10 pounds.

A lot of people take a break and maintain and knuckle down again. The holiday season is a great time to do it. Relax and be happy. Not gaining over the holidays is a triumph. And congratulations.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Totally! I got 75% of the way to goal, then decided to maintain over the holidays and decide in January if I want to get down to my original goal weight. I got a little too enthusiastic and gained back 5 pounds, so I'm back in deficit. But I felt really great where I was, and didn't feel that motivated to shoot for the last 5 pounds. Realistically, that is just vanity weight so summer might be a better motivator. :)
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Me too! i'm at 121. I'd like to be 120 with a cushion for normal fluctuations. I run and work out at the gym. My motivation to eat less has gotten weaker so I'm going to stick here for the holidays and then review things.
  • karenk2f
    karenk2f Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The thing I love about these posts in MFP is their timing couldn't be better! I have been frustrated lately about this very thing! My goal weight is so close and I certainly don't want to go back to where I was. Yet, my resolve goes right out the window when we go to social events with great food or there are holiday treats to be had. (Which seems to happen a lot!) Then I feel so guilty about it because I know I just slowed my progress even more. Physically, I crave carbs and sweets all of the time lately. (I think my metabolism thinks I 'm a bear and need to layer on some fat before winter sets in!) Mentally, I want to eat a lot of this junk because the more I tell myself I shouldn't be eating it, the more I seem to want it. This thread gives me a reality check. There are others out there that understand what I'm talking about and this really helps me put things into perspective. I just need to keep going forward, do the best I can and enjoy the season.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    One more thing . . . Have you put your new weight into MFP to recalculate your calories? If you update frequently, it will not automatically recalcuate your calories. Every time I stall, I reenter my current weight, it lowers my calories a tad, and I start losing again.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am a couple of kg over my 'ideal' weight but as it's so easy to hover around 62-64kg by just watching, but not working hard, I can't really be bothered with the extra effort of a cut!

I've lost weight before so I know I can do it again if I really need to but generally I'd rather ensure I exercise regularly, eat right (ish) and not stress about the numbers.