dining out...alot!

Options
ok, so my company is sending out a new board member every week for the next month and each member is taking me and the other tech to dinner...then I also have a trip to New Orleans and San Diego in the next few weeks- any recommendations on how to covertly stick to reasonable eating out choices?? I'd prefer not to have it be known I am counting calories, but tomorrow I am faced with a favorite restaurant and NOT ordering the crab bisque:sad:

Replies

• Evasher
    Evasher Posts: 20
    Options
    I remember having the best vegetarian plate at the Ritz Carlton years ago. No fuss. And in similar situations you describe I just ask the wait staff for 1/4 of the sauce. No need to apologize for eating healthy. Let them think you are running in a marathon...and we all are in this marathon together. Good luck. The hardest part for me is to leave something on my plate but I have learned that is not a sin.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    A test, I love it.

My recommendation is finding out, if you can, what restaurant you're going to at least a day a head. Check out their website (they usually have nutritional information on them)) - if not they have at least menus. Figure out what you're going to eat and what it's going to cost you in calories. That way you don't have to look stingy on the calories and can focus on getting something you really want. Plan the rest of your day accordingly.

I did this recently for a work lunch. I found out the most reasonable meal was a sirloin steak on a piece of garlic toast with a side salad. Do you think anyone really noticed I was counting calories? And I was happy and didn't blow my calorie budget.

It's all in the planning!!
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    In situations like this I'll try and check the menu ahead of time (most restaurants have entree salads, both chain and independent) to find a few reasonable choices or things that I could "make" reasonable (as another poster said, ask for sauce on the side or veggies not tossed in butter). I totally get why you wouldn't want to be obvious about counting calories--most of my dinners out are with family, and that topic makes everyone launch into the "You're already so thin, you don't need to diet" discussion--but I find a lot of people respect a person who wants to be healthy (without cluing in to the calorie counting part of being healthy), so asking for no sauce or plain veggies gets a response more like "Wow, you have so much willpower!".

If all else fails, just order the bisque, enjoy every spoonful, and get back on the bandwagon the next day. Good luck, and have fun!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Try not to go to big chain restaurants - they use lots of fat and salt! If you do - check their menu online and see if there are healthy alternatives and plan for the calories! My niece had a birthday party at Applebees (where I never go) and they surprised me with an "under 550" menu! It was good! I go out at least once a week and re-create my meals on MFP. Takes some doing but you can generally find the ingredients and piece it together. One thing I almost always do is order the fresh fish of the day and ask them to grill it with no sauce! Even PF Changs offered to steam our chicken and toss with the regular sauce (instead of wok frying) and veggies and we ordered brown rice.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Stick with fish or chicken and ask for minimal oil or butter and no added salt. Also ask for a side of steamed veggies or baked sweet potato.
  • hplvt
    hplvt Posts: 62
    Options
    great tips!! Thanks!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    we eat out alot. i always get what i want and then just eat half. :) so a 1090 calorie meal is only 545, and i have lunch the next day.