MFP should have a "Like" Button

Options
2»

Replies

• Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Just no. The like button = I'm too lazy to actually say anything meaningful, but I want to pretend that I'm actually interacting.

What TOM said! :glasses:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    like button, while in theory is a good idea and will work for typical forums or facebook, is not a great idea. 

When I finish a diary, I expect people to comment on what they thought about my intake. Too little, too much, too much fat, too little veggies, lack of water, no dinner etc. I want specifics. With the like button people will simple see a like on a diary and automatically assume its fine and click on like without ever checking it out. 
    Clicking the “like” button is basically saying “I’m too busy to actually be supportive so instead, I will give myself the illusion that I’m being supportive by clicking a button”. While we’re at it, we can make other buttons that’re vague too like “you’re awesome!” or “Tomorrow is another day” and so on.

On forums, like is the equivalent of saying "lol". You're just putting that there to show your existence without contributing anything. If you agree with post, you can bump it or say "agreed" which is the same as "bump" in the sense that it brings the post on top of the forum and helps to spread out the message that thread is bringing up. 

tl;dr: "like" button might be a suitable idea for many sites, but not for a support and knowledge base site like MFP. Using it is just being lazy and I would much rather have somebody not say anything than being “supportive” by clicking a button.
    ^This

:tongue:
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    A like button is the equivalent of working out with a 1lb dumbbell. Unless you're incredibly weak mentally you really should try harder.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, is the "like" button patented?.

I believe it is however it can be easily modified to something like "amazing" or "appreciates" or something so its not the actual word like.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I read the title as "MFP should have a "Little" Bacon
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Never
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Facebook is removing the "thumbs up" logo from their 'like' button. I just finished reading that, right after leaving these comments. Maybe it is patented since it's theirs, I really don't know. But becaue of facebook, MFP does not want to use it on here.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    like button, while in theory is a good idea and will work for typical forums or facebook, is not a great idea. 

When I finish a diary, I expect people to comment on what they thought about my intake. Too little, too much, too much fat, too little veggies, lack of water, no dinner etc. I want specifics. With the like button people will simple see a like on a diary and automatically assume its fine and click on like without ever checking it out. 
    Clicking the “like” button is basically saying “I’m too busy to actually be supportive so instead, I will give myself the illusion that I’m being supportive by clicking a button”. While we’re at it, we can make other buttons that’re vague too like “you’re awesome!” or “Tomorrow is another day” and so on.

On forums, like is the equivalent of saying "lol". You're just putting that there to show your existence without contributing anything. If you agree with post, you can bump it or say "agreed" which is the same as "bump" in the sense that it brings the post on top of the forum and helps to spread out the message that thread is bringing up. 

tl;dr: "like" button might be a suitable idea for many sites, but not for a support and knowledge base site like MFP. Using it is just being lazy and I would much rather have somebody not say anything than being “supportive” by clicking a button.
    ^This

Not sure how ...
    ^This

... is any different from ...

Thumbs_Up.png
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    "Like" :laugh:
  • taunto
    Options

^This

Not sure how ...
    ^This

... is any different from ...

Thumbs_Up.png

It says right there how its different...
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Just comment the word "like" Are we that lazy of a people that we can't type in a few letters?

i "like" this too
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    It says right there how its different...

Yes. Of course it does. ;-)

Not sure if it was clear, but I was referring to the difference between someone posting "This^" vs. clicking "Like" ... In terms of sentiment, it's pretty much the same,

Although, in fairness, there is a difference... A "like" click & counter takes up less space cra__ing up the thread with bumps and fully quoted threads to say nothing more than, "I agree." :)
  • taunto
    Options
    Out of curiosity, is the "like" button patented?.

I believe it is however it can be easily modified to something like "amazing" or "appreciates" or something so its not the actual word like.

Thanks Taunto.
    Wouldn't the modifications bear a similar resemblance both in terms of its functionality and technical implementation and still infringe the patent laws though?.

I'm not 100% certain about the technicalities (or even if they do have a patent in reality) however I do know that similar things such as "like" has been used on other sites and they were corporate sites so its not like some kids site either. The concept of "like" button is actually older than facebook itself but facebook might have the patent on the word itself in conjunction to the concept.
  • KeViN_v2pt0
    KeViN_v2pt0 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else agree, I see so many posts where i dont want to comment, but i do want to hit Like haha

MFP already has something for that.......Its called a blog, not a wall post.

Its bad enough theres a report button. {insert derogatory name referring to female body part in its plurality here}